Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Today I did a full car cleaning. Vacuumed out the interior, wiped all the interior surfaces down, then did the full exterior wash, clay bar, wax, window cleaning, etc.

Today I sold Moby. :(So long folks.............

That's very sad... How long did you own Moby for?

[*]Oil & filter change

[*]Inspect tire treads: avg 5.2mm all around

[*]Rotate tires rear<->front (they are all 175s on roadster steelies)

[*]Inspect brakes: lots of meat left, front and rear.

All good, except that the junior mechanic working on my car had some difficulty putting the little triangular axle caps back on. I should have removed and reinstalled them myself afterward, just to be sure. Of course, when I got home, one of them was missing!

I HATE IT when you get the car serviced and then, INEVITABLY some stupid little thing gets screwed up and you have to fix it yourself!

Bil :sun:

The wee smartie is happy. Happy car = Happy Bil ;)

I have to go out after dinner and reset the service indicator.

B :sun:

[later that evening...] Reset the service indicator "wrenches". Then installed FRAM cabin air filter CF8249A, through the access vent, in 11 minutes flat. This filter has to have the width reduced -- remove 2-3 pleats -- then it fits just fine in the diagonal holder. Activated charcoal and baking soda "cleans and freshens the air"Amazing how much debris -- mostly pine needles -- there was trapped in the old filter, and how much dirt and black dust there was inside the pleats.Bil :senile:

Edited by bilgladstone

My short always runs better when she's clean (hey isn't there a song in there somewhere?).

That's very sad... How long did you own Moby for?

Bought him new. Was picked up the day before Canada Day in 2007. Was actually the last 450 smart that Ogilvie Motors sold.Very sad day. My wife was crying.Sold him to a very good friend of mine, so I will still see him once in a while. Hopefully he remains my friend after this... :) Edited by MightyMouseTech

Chris,It's sad to see a favourite 'anything' leave. What have you replaced Moby with?I hope you will continue to drop in from time to time and offer some of your pearls of wisdom to the newbies (and some of not-so-new bies).Please don't be a stranger. :faint:

Chris,It's sad to see a favourite 'anything' leave. What have you replaced Moby with?I hope you will continue to drop in from time to time and offer some of your pearls of wisdom to the newbies (and some of not-so-new bies).Please don't be a stranger. :faint:

Thanks, I am sure I will be around from time to time.We are replacing the smart and our Civic with a new BMW 135i (pretty much the exact opposite of the smart, other than small, fun and impressive engineering) we pick it up in Germany (doing a European Delivery for our Honeymoon) on June 4th. We moved into a condo so we are going down to one car and the Vespa. Edited by MightyMouseTech

It was nice chatting with you over the years Chris.Steve

Edited by Coast Steve

Chris,We have been very grateful for your contributions and sharing your expertise. One of the good'uns.Bil :sun:

European delivery should be nice, show no mercy on the Autobahn (though it is probably limited to 210 ....boring!).

Thanks guys. Going to miss this forum. One of the most close knit forums I have been on.Yes, will enjoy the Autobahn, luckily my car is limited to "only" 260 km/hr. :) Although I think I will enjoy the Stelvio Pass much more. :)

Stelvio is a very good drive but frankly I like the Grossglockner in Austria a lot more.

Stelvio is a very good drive but frankly I like the Grossglockner in Austria a lot more.

Awesome! Thank you! We will be spending 4 days in Vienna, will have to check it out.

The road costs about 30 Euros (probably a bit more now) but you get a nice souvenir sticker for the trouble. The Brenner Autobahn, Tauern Autobahn and Felbertauern all give you a window sticker for the car, kind of a nice memento. No such thing is offered for the Stelvio.

The road costs about 30 Euros (probably a bit more now) but you get a nice souvenir sticker for the trouble. The Brenner Autobahn, Tauern Autobahn and Felbertauern all give you a window sticker for the car, kind of a nice memento. No such thing is offered for the Stelvio.

Just looked it up. Looks like it is 32 Euro now. :) Looks beautiful!!!!!!

And Stelvio, well, how do you not have fun with a car with 360 hp!!

Posted Image

Anybody else have any recommendations?

We will be landing in Munich, spending several days there, picking up the new car on Tuesday (and touring the BMW factory and the museum at the Welt) Next day head to Vienna for several days, then Northern Italy for several more, then the south coast of France for several, dropping off the car in Nice, then finishing up in Paris before we head home. The car will then meet us back home 4-6 weeks later.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Just looked it up. Looks like it is 32 Euro now. :) Looks beautiful!!!!!!

And Stelvio, well........

Posted Image

Anybody else have any recommendations?

We will be landing in Munich, spending several days there, picking up the new car on Tuesday (and touring the BMW factory and the museum at the Welt) Next day head to Vienna for several days, then Northern Italy for several more, then the south coast of France for several, dropping off the car in Nice, then finishing up in Paris before we head home. The car will then meet us back home 4-6 weeks later.

I think I recall seeing that road in an episode of Top Gear... :watchout:

I think I recall seeing that road in an episode of Top Gear... :watchout:

YUP!!! [jeremy]The greatest driving road ....................................... in the world[/jeremy] :)

I had the disc brakes in a Renault 5 TR completely fade to nothing while descending the Grossglockner at a high rate of speed. It is a good workout for car and driver. The Stelvio is more spectacular to look at but is not as fun to drive fast, IMO.

Take it for a blast on the Nordschleife, see if you can break 10 minutes.......also, take the first aid kit, warning triangle and front plate off the car right before returning it, because those things will be otherwise recovered by BMW before they deliver the car to you at home.

I once lost my brakes going down a road like this in a 7.5 tonne camper van:

Posted Image

Stelvio pass.

My short always runs better when she's clean (hey isn't there a song in there somewhere?).

Yes, clean shorts are best. And to tie it in with other conversations, I wonder how clean Tolsen's shorts were after losing the brakes in his camper van...