Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Take it for a blast on the Nordschleife, see if you can break 10 minutes.......also, take the first aid kit, warning triangle and front plate off the car right before returning it, because those things will be otherwise recovered by BMW before they deliver the car to you at home.

Thought about it, but don't want to track a brand new engine.....quite yet. :)Will be visiting these guys: http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

Nice job, Izzy! Do you know what was the cfm rating for that fan?B :sun:

Snowball had a B Service at TPM, fill with 5W40 Mobil 1. I will start using that and finish off the 0W40 in the B 200.

Nice job, Izzy! Do you know what was the cfm rating for that fan?B :sun:

Not sure...I just made sure it was under 12v and under 5amp

Putting in my LED DRLs next weekend B) Sized them up yesterday and it's gnna require some "modifications" to fit into the bottom of the front bumper thingy (it probably has a proper name, but I can't think of it right now). I'll definitely be standing out afterwards :-P

Cracked my turbo housing while trying to remove it from the exhaust manifold...will be walking for the next few weeks :(

Cracked my turbo housing while trying to remove it from the exhaust manifold...will be walking for the next few weeks :(

That's too bad. You probably did not study my guide on how to split turbo from manifold. The trick is to apply heat and employ the 3 nuts to ensure turbo always sits squarely in manifold. Great risk of also damaging turbine and shaft if not square.

you had a guide? (link?) I did use the three bolts to to ensure that the turbo will come out straight...I knew the fins and shaft could be bent or damaged if it didn't come out straight. Didn't apply heat cause I didn't want to cook any bearings or oil that was still in the housing. A light tap was all it took to break the flange off cast housing :(I will be stealing the turbo of the project coupe...I've officially taken too way too many parts off this car to make it worth while to fix it. I'm going to keep my cabrio as a parts car from this point on. Will swap engine hopefully this wkend and drive the coupe.

you had a guide? (link?) ...

I can't remember where that post is any more. Perhaps deleted by the inquisition.

Posted Image

From memory I heated manifold to 150 degrees C (checked with a Tempilstik). Used 3 suitably long screws and a short 15mm square steel bar (a turning tool bar) to jack bearing housing out. The 15mm square bar transferred load from jack screw into aluminium compressor housing. Used a vernier calliper to confirm turbo was coming out straight.

Above method works each time with minimal risk of causing any damage except perhaps burning your fingers or setting fire to your shed.

Noticed this morning that I went over 180,000 km this week ( I think yesterday from the milage in the car). So far it just keeps going :)

This is not the week for me!...just got my kwp2000+ today in the mail. Installed the software/driver and read the instructions online. As soon as I plugged it in, my kwp2000 box popped and smoke came out! Now my ECU is dead (hopefully its just the fuse).

Sometime you're the pigeon and sometimes you're the statue. That sucks, Izzy!B :sun:

A bit of good news...the ECU is not fried, (blew out the OBD fuse). Stole the turbo from my parts car and slapped it back on my cabrio, and the car started up without any hesitation or engine code. BUT cannot get boost! Idles fine, will find out tomorrow whether it is a rookie mistake (left paper towels in the intake) or its something else, I did check that the turbo wasn't seized before I removed it...(With the way things are going this week, I'm not surprised that I probably did something really really stupid...abusing my privilege)

Edited by stickman007

Good news indeed! Maybe wastegate or wastegate actuator is stuck? Or the short w/g actuator feed tube is leaking?B :sun:

the cabrio has a pollen filter? news to me, i will be doing the vertical mod this weekend if its not monsooning here.

The cabin filter was optional for cars with A/C, but any smart can take it.

I've been concerned my charge cooler fan wasn't working (thanks Glenn for the spring mait tip). So I decided to listen for it...heard nothing like I was used to hearing. So when Becca picked me up from work lastnight I decided to try the work scan tool "Snap-On Verus Pro" ($15,000) well it does alot, including let me command alot of things to run like the Charge Cooler Fan (works).Other things it can do is Clutch Teaching, Airbag Light code clear, ABS/Traction control, etc..Only thing it can't do is Remap, or activate foglights or cruise.I'm still learning what it can do...but it's like a new video game and its wireless so I can beep the horn from up to 250 feet away...

Cool about the things you work diagnostic machine will do. Any idea of how long it takes to do the clutch teaching ( or are you planning on doing at some point )? It might be nice to have somewhere else to go besides the dealer, and a bit closer than Glenn ( no offense to Glenn of course, but his location and hours do make it hard for some of us to get out to hm).

I will be trying the clutch teach at some point, Glenn did mine less than a year ago and I'm happy with his work. I would want to do it just to learn and play with the machine...I also want to be careful, don't wanna start fixin things that ain't broke cause that's how I usually break things LOL

The way I found out my clutch release fork was getting a hole in it was when Eddy was doing a clutch re-teach at my request, to tighten up the bite point a bit, and with the extra pressure the actuator got stuck in the fork divot. On the one hand, bad; we had to scramble for a temporary fix so I could limp 450km home that day. On the other hand, good; since the flaw was discovered in the nice warm shop instead of failing unexpectedly while on the road.Later, Izzy (Stickman007) visited, and we did the $3.00 acorn nut repair which has saved a $2-3,000 re/re. Or at least postponed that repair by a goodly number of years... I hope!What I'm saying is that an unnecessary clutch teach-in may have unintended consequences.Bil :sun:

Went all red with the Cabriolet yesterday, redid the front calipers in red, and also removed the small fascia bits from the interior and painted it red aswell :) Rear drums will be finished in silver. My MDC cruise control bit the dust last night so no more cruise control for me :thumbsdown_still:post-12052-1369143399_thumb.jpegpost-12052-1369143413_thumb.jpegpost-12052-1369143431_thumb.jpeg

The BRABUS suspension for my 451 showed up today. It even came with an extra front damper.