Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Got the dreaded P0380 code on Saturday so bought three new plugs from NAPA and completed

the job yesterday. Also decided to use anti-seize this time round and torqued the new plugs

to 10 NM's...

Hopefully this will be the last repair necessary (other than routine maintenance) before we get

the 2017 ED...;)

Greased all four wheel bearings on my 450 Cabrio.  Checked brakes.  Fitted snow tyres all around.  All done in less than an hour.  Easy provided one is prepared and sufficiently smart.

After degreasing and washing my engine bay I started the engine to help dry it off and noticed a bad leak on #2 injector so I changed #2 fire seal, changed a turn signal, and hooked up the Star to see what was causing my newest air bag code. Ends up it was the connector under the passenger seat, so I cut it out and soldered the wires. Did it previously to drivers seat but didn't have time to do both. I changed every single fuse in the SAM just 'cause.

Edited by kdubya

Picked up a pair of front discs, waiting on 2 sets of pads. Also a pair of top brake light bulbs.

Edited by niteshooter

Passed the 190,000 km. mark on the odometer on Thursday.  Wanted to post in the "Wikis Articles - How many kilometers are on your smart", but the link I have no longer works. :(

The distance isn't spectacular, but when you consider that I have been retired for several years and don't go on long trips or daily runs to and from work, it's not too bad.

I took the smart on its first drive in a month.  The battery was weak because I had moved the car around a bit and those pre-heat cycles are brutal.  Now it's charged up nicely and covered up in the garage where it's sharing space with my Peugeot 404 suspension, engine and other stuff.

Completed service number 16. Need new service book since no more entries left. 216533 km. 

Much too nice outside to be inside.  Took Silverwing for a wee putter to the local A&W ...... top down of course!  Temp. on the display was showing 21C (70F) :thumbsup_still: .... The temperature on this date last year for this area was minus 20C (minus 4F)160710_007.jpg

2 people like this

Just shy of 179k km and had to replace the alternator on my 2011.  New belts went on at the same time replacing the originals.  Excellent day outside, went for a drive by the lake.

The canada1 coupe got an early oil change today at around 102,500 kms

I need to get an air filter for it early next week

after that, it'll be time for a really good interior detail, and another annual leather treatment

I've had the car about 18 months now and driven it roughly 12,000 kms

I expect to do about 8,000 kms a year on it - it's great to burn into Vancouver with - easy parking and getting around

maintenance due would be preventative on the electrical system, coolant, brake fluid, and possibly a clutch relearn and lubricate the actuator....

with much other work already done by the previous owner to me, this car should be smooth sailing for a few more years without any significant bills....

it's still available in theory for someone who knows what it is and has $6k kicking around, but otherwise..... I'll keep it parked underground and in a well maintained state

and after reading of some of the work other members out east are faced with, I'm sure glad to have a nice west coast car.....! but kudos to those who are keeping their 450 going even as it approaches 200,000 (and some more)

We went to a photo session yesterday for our 50th anniversary.   About 5 minutes out, I made a left onto the access ramp to hwy. 401.  Put my foot on the "go" pedal ....... NOTHING!  Pulled over to the side on the ramp and checked ....... hmmmm .......... motor is running, but no go.   Then I noticed the display ....... OH NO !!!  The three bars of death!  Shut it down, counted to ten and turned it back on.  Ah, success!   All is good .... back to normal.  The rest of the trip was uneventful, but will have to see Uncle Glenn when he returns from his journey to "the rock".

There is a first time for everything, and up to this point, I have been lucky, I guess.

Keith, someone is selling a nightrun in Langley for $9K.  The C-1 coupe is certainly worth more than a nightrun.

First drive in over a month.  We have had an unusually cold winter this year, three separate snowstorms!

I have placed my two pairs of snow chains back into storage. Might put summer wheels on next week weather permitting. 

The '05.... into Glenn's today for a rebuilt alternator, belts and various lubings and tightenings.

The '06.... Canada1 out last Wednesday for a 50km peanut run to Picard's.  All systems functioned normally.

Next week will be a tire swap on the '05 and wash the winter off of both of them.

Had "Sally" prepped up yesterday for the warmer weather. Oil and filter change, Air filter change and the usual full mechanical check. Panels were changed from her "Phat Reds" over to her "Bay Grays" along with her newly acquired Passion Wheels.. Mucho Thanks to Uncle Glenn for all of the hard work. I think that I may have a hording issue now that I've got 3 sets of panels: White, Phat Red & Bay Gray along with 3 sets of Rims & Tires; Steels, Pures & Passions.

WinterSummer-75.jpg 

Had an E-test done on the Canada1 this morning...... and it passed !!

It appears the trouble with the Ontario DriveClean program and the Smart diesels has been corrected.

Many thanks to George in Tillsonburg who chased their technical people to both clarify and correct the trouble.

Thanks to Glenn in London for trial & error testing on un-mapped, mapped and re-mapped cars.

Also thanks to Dave, manager at Mufflerman in London (also a Smart owner) for all the vehicle testing.

For those that didn't know, our little diesels have been consistently failing the E-test lately.

This has been happening because the test and measurement criteria changed somewhat this year.

Glenn and Dave confirmed the situation, and George took the program's technical people to task for a resolution.

All ’05's and '06's appear to be testing properly as of last Monday afternoon.

Thanks again guys for all your efforts.