Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Visited Uncle Glenn yesterday and got the rear window struts replaced.  A 5 minute job, but a huge difference.  Now we no longer get whacked on the head with the window and there is no fear of breaking the window when it comes crashing down.  Thanks Uncle Glenn.

Oh I see now, you need to get the BRABUS coachline and the Canada 1 sticker for the door!

Oh and that's two of the four Canada 1s that have been in that valley!  One white, one red!

The Canada one pinstripe was recreated by a vinyl shop in Nanaimo they took pictures and measurements before removing it for paint looks as good or better than original.  I have the Chicken head but found I like the look of the car without it so have yet to put it back on.  Have had trouble locating the Brabus badges but I think I have located some.  if I can't obtain some before summer I might just take you up on your generous offer Mike.

This is the first time this one has been down here we brought the black one (Island Girl) down a few years back.  This time I made the trip in 21 hours but milage went way down.  Left Vancouver just after midnight and was here in Palm Springs early enough to buy some groceries and a pizza before the stores closed at nine.

Alan

1 person likes this

On 12/30/2017 at 3:17 AM, Leadwing said:

Visited Uncle Glenn yesterday and got the rear window struts replaced.  A 5 minute job, but a huge difference.  Now we no longer get whacked on the head with the window and there is no fear of breaking the window when it comes crashing down.  Thanks Uncle Glenn.

Ha, i need to do this. Im getting whacked a lot since im using the car as a food delivery car. I have seen 2 new ones for sale on ebay for $35, i need to get around to ordering them + some new rear light bulbs.

The canada 1 looks good, the colour matched bumper looks nice. With my black/black 450 its technically colour matched 

My glow plug controler isnt working ndi was going to fix it this summer but i got lazy. It was -19c last night and the car started on the 3rd go(no glow plugs) so im impressed. I guess my compression is good too

The white Canada 1 has been pressed into service since our son returned home from a year in Japan and needs the Mercedes and its snow tires to commute to UVIC.  So she'll be getting a good dose of winter road crap, which I regret, but there is no choice.

Edited by MikeT

It's the Malahat, which is like a zit on the Coast Mountains, but snow tires are mandatory!

The only Canada 1 that is white (No. 2) will hit 120,000 km tomorrow!

The on-going saga of the biggest Smart car collection in St Thomas, Ontario :) ......

I’ve had my ‘05 stuffed into the front of my one car garage since August, on a battery tender.  I started it a few times over the winter, but never moved it.  Note - emergency brake was NOT on.  Used a very small space heater on a shelf about eye level during the past 3 months just so nothing froze in my unseated garage.  My Grandstyle occupies the back half of the garage, and saw the bulk of what little driving I did thru the winter (yes, they do both fit nicely into me little garage).

Yesterday I went to start the ‘05 for the first time in 6+ weeks.  Cycled the glow plugs twice and it started right up, no issues.  Thought I might hear belts or pulleys squeak, or even a ceased alternator, but no.  Moving it was a different story.  The front brakes were grinding along with a nasty noise from the front right bearing.  All noticeable on backing out.  I’m fortunate that where I live I can drive very slowly for quite a ways.  After doing so, the sounds disappeared.  Drove the car  very carefully to London (about 25km) for its required semi-annual E-test.  It passed with no problems.  Drove home issue-free also.  On Friday I’m taking it to Glenn for rotors and pads (well past due).  So my summer Smart is back on the road and the Grandstyle will wait for better weather to get new summer tires. It currently has the new snows on it.

The Canada1 still remains nestled in winter storage at Legendary Motorcars outside Toronto.  I will likely test the sales market soon.  It’s a true collecter’s car and deserves to be under someone’s protective custody.  I just dont have the garage space since I moved.  If there’s any interest out there, please pm me.  But remember, it ain’t gonna be cheap.

lifted my front end for springtime front end check in case i had to order some parts...didnt find anything to worry about..brakes are thin but i have rotors and pads waiting in the sidelines for a better day

Yesterday after going nearly 15 years without someone driving their car into mine, I was clipped in the rear driver's quarter by a Kia Rondo.  For the most part the 451 took it like a champ, popped the leading edge of the panel out of it's clips, damaged the clear coat and damaged the rear wheel cover.  The mild weather I think being the main reason the panel did not crack.  They made an unsafe lane change from a left turn lane into the through lane I was occupying.  It may be time to do a repaint, possibly go with a different , more visible colour.

20180314_144442.jpg

May go Hello Yellow or a shade of green.

post-7256-1268335287.jpgMercedes-Benz-A-Klasse-1216x500.jpgpost-7297-1322084127.jpg

Edited by Huronlad
photos added

The yellow would certainly the most visible of the three choices .... On another note, I recognise that third photo (with butterflies) ....... It was Britsmart's Marty car

Taking the ‘05 into Glenn for front brakes.  Might be an interesting drive.

2” of snow last night, and no snow tires on the car.  Yahoo !!

7 hours ago, MikeT said:

This colour is not bad:

11181987325_4396ee728a_b.jpg[/url]

I'm a bike rider and anything hi-viz is key now a days with so many idiots on the road texting etc etc....so the brighter the better, no matter what the person who greets you when you get out of the car thinks....lol....my buddies think I've changed teams....lol.   I simply state the obvious....you saw me didn't you!   I also get many rednecks see the car zip up along side and peer in thinking they are about to see a luscious blond only to find an ugly old man driving!!! They snap their necks back forward so fast I'm sure the chiroprctors are thnking me locally......lol Then speed off....lol

I have the Hi-Viz neon green, the same as my motorcycle jacket.....it works.......it's the best colouyr to be seen wearing. Bar none!    I am a rearend crash survivor, in a Honda Civic by a Bronco at 80kph! I was sitting at a stop light.....I now have hardware in my neck with pinched nerves etc etc.....so am very aware of anyone near my rearend now!

That Orange is nice also!

Sitting in Sudbury to visit a sick friend.

Put on 550km yesterday.  The Grandstyle performed flawlessly.

Great day for a long drive.  I wish my knees agreed.

Should be good weather for my return trip to St Thomas tomorrow.

Heading down to -22C tonight.

I'm getting ready to install some sunglasses onto my little monster....lol....Like the idea of the sun strip across the windshield also.

You going to spray the tiny windows with that vht stuff yourself Willys? I have never used it, I assume you spray the inside of whatever you want to tint not the outside??

I would be curious to see what this vht stuff looks like with a close up from the outside and then the inside, anyone who has used it what kind of tint % is it close to?

That is my thought so far BC, as it's highly recommended that he won't be able to install tint onto those pieces. I think it's what the kids use to darken their tail lights to look cool.  You simply spray it like you said on the inside of the lense or window and see what happens. Many many light coats I expect to get the best results.  I'll also be asking him what he thinks as he said he has done 3 or 4 smarts already.....so I'll respect what he says and what his experiences are.....if he thinks he has done it successfully in the past and can show me a pic or something of it, then I'll may risk it, or if he can get it back off when it bubbles etc without harming my glass or plastics ...it's all depending what he says, I'm OK with spraying those as they aren't a window i normally see through.......I don't think...lol.