Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2018 at 10:08 AM, niteshooter said:

Wonder what the frame on the mini looked like! Our smarts look pretty good with wide wheels/tires and I've always liked the look of wide wheels and tyres on a mini. 

A Fiesta 3 cylinder turbo motor sounds interesting at 125 hp though how much fabrication is needed to shoehorn it into a smart is another story. But sounds interesting as does the Echo motor..... Seems the Busa is a popular 450 swap though, granted just dropping a gas euro 450 TC motor might be enough. 

Wonder if an old Suzuki RE5 motor would fit... :rolleyes:

The Bike engine swaps are very interesting and better suited size wise, but they lack one major thing a reverse within their transmissions......yes you can install a secondary unit to get reverse or even adapt a starter  etc just for the short distance needed to get out of a parking spot, but why?  I say use something that already has a reverse built in and sacrifice some of that insane HP, something we can't really use anyway...lol.  The biggest issue is, getting past the emmision testing....is that even possible with any engine swap?  IF it is, I'm all ears!  OR do we get into the race type arena, racing around cones in some parking lot etc etc..?  

I sand blasted the drivers side rocker panels on my Smart yesterday and repainted it in hopes of preserving the cage for years to come. Surprising how much flaking paint and surface rust there was, but nothing  not easily repaired. Now to go buy some new clips to reattach the flares etc. Age has taken it's toll on the old ones.

Rumour has it that a smartsuki will be at the Plunkett show on Aug 2nd.

3 people like this

all ive done to mine lately is drive it

a/c is getting soft might need a but of a top up...im absolutely amazed at how well the redtek sealer worked 

and the signal light has worked just fine since that night i played with the light switch so i left everything else alone for now...i guess the multiswitch was dirty 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

2 hours ago, smart142 said:

Rumour has it that a smartsuki will be at the Plunkett show on Aug 2nd.

Hmmm....for that alone could force me to attend...lol.

Tonight, with help from a friend - have the rear passenger side fender liner out, and.... the alternator is now turning freely!

We'll see how the OEM battery fares in the coming days as well now that it has had some maintenance and appears to be holding load. Ran the passion cab for just a few minutes at 2000 RPM to get everything moving, and it held idle! So...… this is looking very favourable that I can transfer the plates from the (now sold) Canada1 coupe over to the passion cab and be driving and working out more kinks.

Putting belts back on car shortly, and then will immediately run it for a few more minutes, check operation, and then give it a proper oil change.

Oil change is done, new air filter, new H7 bulb on passenger side, some Lucas in the tank, plates transferred and on, filled the tank with fresh Chevron, air pressure to 33 rear 31 front, top down, Italian tune up on Highway One and some local spots....

AC needs help, no surprise there - need an antenna and an intercooler scoop, also need to get side markers changed out or at least fit in an original from my first car

Not much more will happen now until the weekend- taxes must be done by June 15 (self-employed)

Friday the Canada1 coupe departs - but will get a few shots of the cars together

IMG_20180612_211453583.jpg

1 person likes this

Either that or the neighbourhood dogs have a very good aim ;)

Yep, sprayed and hand-cranked using the old (cut-off) belt to work it, slowly.... and running very good now. Hopefully will not need to change out the alternator.

Battery seems ok too - I am surprised at that. Thanks to Mike Rogalsky for that effort at his house for a couple days.

Sure is cheap maintenance week!

Howes was $9.95 at the local 'Slow lane sleds'... cheapest I have ever seen it.

And H7 bulbs, the semi-brighter ones were just $8.49 at Wal-mart on clearance as singles, so I went to the other store and found 4 there - needed one right away, and spares are handy. Fought to get the m-clip back on - I have lost my touch on that I guess.

Had to put the top back up today on my outing.

Car running pretty good. Obviously a bit more to do yet. The maintenance items on the canada1 needing to be done in the engine bay will all need to be done on this car and then some, but I will not feel worried about having a collector car sitting around in an open carport (where the wind blows in a lot of dust etc, as we are in a rural area with lots of farming and a gravel pit)

It's driveable just fine for now it looks like, but I have a big long list of things to tackle one at a time, intercooler scoop being next and to check the sam, and all the usual good to do stuff

back panels will be off next week maybe for some checking

I assume Izzy will be doing the same on the canada1 once it gets back to Edmonton!

I will probably do a very early change on this oil as well once I get some parts in from fasteddy

going to do all of the fluids in fairly short order

Car was serviced in Squamish, as there was an oil change sticker showing it was due at 198,xxx kms - and it's a few thousand short of that

I have a friend who can get the AC serviced at his work

Side note: Lisa P. from BC Broadway likely drove this car after she left MB and worked at another company

The car was leased for three years initially, and the database shows her as driving it when it was wrapped - she confirmed she drove a wrapped car via her mom, who I still am in touch with

off-road edition, LOL, it's on-road now!

IMG_20180613_114827313.jpg

4 hours ago, MikeT said:

Either that or the neighbourhood dogs have a very good aim ;)

Man, I was hoping it was the dog! Had a good laugh when I saw that...thanks MikeT

I didn't do the spraying...! Mike R had this done in like 90 mins or so. The oil change was a bit longer and messier than usual, as the canister was way too tight... and Mike forgot to move the bin under the filter area! Oops. He was surprised how well the extractor gets out the oil when I showed him how it's done. I spent just as long cleaning up and putting in the bulb as he did getting the alternator going. But it was seriously quick overall, maybe 4-5 man hours for a bunch of relatively minor things, plus a bit of time on the battery over a few days, 5-10 minutes at a time.

Need to read up on lubing the cabrio rails/track - I assume at this age it's needing a little something.

Little Green will visit the interior, which is in quite decent shape overall, just the usual staining that almost always comes out from my experience.

Mike R did not know there were roadsters!

I have been eyeing those pics from Glenn, and am beginning to ponder. I have driven a roadster, once, and a crossblade and a forfour even! All in Ottawa.

Is Glenn's wallet a little lighter?? ;)

Nope, Glenns wallet is still bulging with euros (enough to buy one roadster).

Shipping for one was too expensive.

From the roadster vacation thread...  

''The quotes that Theo got were for a 20ft container - one was 2650euros, the other 3300euros.

However a 40 ft container shipped to Toronto would be 2800 euros, and 3 roadsters would fit in.

That would bring shipping costs to 900 euros for one - that would be doable. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy 3 roadsters!!

:rolleyes: anyone interested??? ''   

What are the roadster price ranges... maybe you could get a new topic going? :)

In the meantime, I had to take a break from paperwork and went back to Slow Lane Sleds and bought these side marker lights

IMG_20180613_171041100.jpg

And the side markers are not working or just not compatible with the smart! No lights, except if you count the engine icon on the dash! Which was gone when I reverted and double checked. Hmm.....

Well, I can exchange for something else perhaps. I see some Bil Gladstone girlfriend side markers on the rack!!! :o

Oh, I have my original car's originals on both sides now! I found those today in a box of funnels

I was just hoping to update them, but I have working lights, so good enough for now!! Too bad on these ones, because with the turn signal mod, they stick out another 6mm or so and would have been nice for viewability to others....

I will see what else they have, but won't be doing a Bil on these!

It's in the carport nose to the road and waiting. :D

I still have 6 hours of taxes to get done roughly by late Friday and them burn out to Revenue Canada and drop off! Hopefully enough time for a clutch relearn.

The Flair is in the Air! In an hour, the canada1 changes hands, presuming it passes last chance in person inspection!

I have talked to the owner of two smarts nearby, one which is actually a Grandstyle, which is the one that has the wheels I'm scheming for. ('You know, the Grandstyle originally came with these elegant Styleline wheels, right?' How about we swap and I'll give you a bit of moola....)

IMG_20180614_201321635.jpg

What is that black thing on the roof..? Nice rims...