Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

And next weekend we will have SmartTimes in Hambach at the factory!
Lots of Smarts coming back "home" 
Will be fun.
And I got a nice email from Smart:D

Shall I posted some pictures here next weekend??

Knipsel.PNG

Edited by luwie
3 people like this

46 minutes ago, smart142 said:

Please do!!!!     Wish I could be there!

Haha ,you would love it Glenn :D
But who knows.......
Maybey there's a Roadster meeting next year in Canada!
That would be great :wub:

1 person likes this

A day or so ago, while looking for a scangauge, which I did not end up finding, I came across my box of smart literature, and inside was a decal that I put on my window "no backseat driver on board", plus I found these raised letters / emblems, and the model year 2005 new product manual that I received as a gift from a smart rep

IMG_20180621_201832924_LL.jpg

IMG_20180621_201903316_LL.jpg

1 person likes this

Today while parked at Tim Hortons waiting for another Car Junkie to come over and look at my junk, this not so junky car pulled in beside me and I had a nice chat with the older fellow and his wife and told them about getting this car recently and then finding the wheels for it I had to take a couple pictures while they were inside doing their thing

IMG_20180623_155517764_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180623_155543052.jpg

IMG_20180623_155554216.jpg

Funny I saw something very similar to that if not the same thing while driving back and thought it was a very nice machine myself......she had the roof down and was bopping to the tunes.... very nice lines on the car for sure!

Took advantage of the REALLY nice weather and just spent the day cruising with the top down.  I didn't see a single smart all day other than  my own, of course.

Smart in Brantford.jpg

2 people like this

Got my MB EGR factory wiring fix yesterday ready to wire in my emulator, they got it overnight and knew it was some adapter but not why...?

I need to source one 45 degree hose, the one that has the metal ring or collar on it so I can reverse everything if need be before installing ir removing the EGR system to see if it'll work....I always need to be able to put things back to stock just incase.  So if anyone has one of these little things lying around you haven't a need for I'd love to take it off your hands for a price of course....lol.

Thanks....sitting here waiting for two reluctor rings to show up....tic    tic.......augh!   

Hmmmm....maybe it won't be as hot as yesterday and I can go for a drive without cooking like yesterday...?  This glass roof is similar to a magnifying lense while sitting still ...wow!....Might have to seal and recharge my air today...lol.   See if I can get better cooling from it, not bad now, but should be better...compared to a good system in the more modern cars ...where they blow ice cold air on you.  You almost need that type of system with this heat....or have all windows down and move!

51 minutes ago, niteshooter said:

So hot down here that I had to keep the top up and run the A/C. 

I did the same thing sort of yesterday, I had windows open and the air blowing on my feet, it actually worked...lol.   I stayed in the house today, the hell with this heat!

There was a set of Spikelines for sale in SW Ontario about a year ago for what at the time seemed like too much money, but now I'm wishing I had picked them up.

Axle shafts are out and preped for new reluctor rinmgs whenever they show up. Also clutch actuator mechanizm is off but carefull marked where it lived ready for reinstallation just incase...lol. Now have to redrill rivet posts to reinstall case rivets ready for reassembly. 

Now, the question is, I hear about a fix for the throw-out arm if there is a hole in it or a deep indentatin...?  What am I looking for in way of non-normal conditions?  The inside of this actuator is near perfect and clean from what I can see. I will spray white lithium grease or my silver never to be removed anti sieze grease in there to keep it moving asit should be......which would be better suited?  Simply white lithium or the silver anti sieze?  

As for the axleshafts.does anyone sand blast the pitted areas or simple get the major surface rust off by carefully sandpapering them and freshening up lip with sharp edged file?  I do not want to find I have taken off too much materials..trying to get all the rust off.  Thanks

Also, I am removing the two different lengthed engine cradle bolts so I can go buy threaded rod or longer bolts so I can lower engine to work on it....

I't far too hot to leave the house today.....I am pumping air into the garage so it's relatively comfortable....Time to think about installing an air conditioner....

The Smart Roadster Zeeland group was at the party at Hambach!
It was very nice :-)
Meeting so many Smart people was great!

It's a nice habit that they will give a way the flags off all country's!
And yes there was the flag of Canada!

But there was nobody from canada......................

I have a bond now with the Canadians, so I went for the Flag :-)

Hope you don't  mind

20180630_112241.jpg

4 people like this

You have a Canadian connection through Glenn and Liz in person, and the rest of us through this site..  I'm sure no one minds at all. :thumbsup_anim:

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

You have a Canadian connection through Glenn and Liz.  I'm sure no one minds at all. :thumbsup_anim:

YES I went for the flag for Glenn and Lizz!
Wunderfull Smart Roadster folks !

Thanks for flying the flag!!

The Dutch and Canadians already have a special bond!!!!

Cheers mate!!:beerchug:

1 person likes this

On 7/1/2018 at 11:53 AM, Willys said:

I will spray white lithium grease or my silver never to be removed anti sieze grease in there to keep it moving asit should be......which would be better suited?  Simply white lithium or the silver anti sieze?  

use the grease..not anti seize

neverseize is actually abrasive

1 hour ago, luwie said:

The Smart Roadster Zeeland group was at the party at Hambach!
It was very nice :-)
Meeting so many Smart people was great!

It's a nice habit that they will give a way the flags off all country's!
And yes there was the flag of Canada!

But there was nobody from canada......................

I have a bond now with the Canadians, so I went for the Flag :-)

Hope you don't  mind

20180630_112241.jpg

Nice!

There were a bunch of Canadians there in April 2008 on a factory tour!  Including me, my wife and one of our daughters, plus Glenn.

43130012112_96b5b3cf5e_o.jpg

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

use the grease..not anti seize

neverseize is actually abrasive

Yep that is what I thought and why I decided to go lithium over anti...lol.  The only thing about that anti is it never comes off once it's on...but being anti it just made me thing it was an abrasive compared to a lubricant...lol

The reluctor rings came in today so they're tomorrow's job if the back allows it.  Did too much today, first the lawn then welding up a trailer for the neighbor......I don't know how they get away with building trailers out of paper thin metals now a days and expecting them to last more than 5 minutes!

Edited by Willys

I stuck a new air filter in the box today, plus gave it a fairly quick wash, even with the top down, and I checked on the arrival of the freewheelin pulley, but there's not much of an update yet on that although it should be here late next week or very early the week following and then I'm looking forward to getting that installedI, I have a spare pulley for Izzy, which will be a nice gift when I arrive in Edmonton at some point this summer

1 person likes this

cleaned the car inside and out(feels like a different car)

I did an oil+ filter change

Knocked the dust out of the air filter

Fixed my sticky door latch by removing the outer and inner door panel(huge pain in the ass but it works well now)

Washed and rainX'd all the glass, armour-all'ed the inside, then changed the front brakes, thought I had the rear shoes but, do you think i can find them...augh!!!!!!   I'll keep the half worn parts for the winter beater just in case...lol.  Another day tomorrow to search......lol

Today I bought it.

Tomorrow I collect it.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Today I bought it.

Tomorrow I collect it.

Have fun with it! 

1 person likes this

Thanks buddy, I sure will.

Today I have:

Dismantled The clock and repaired it.

Attacked the paint with T cut.  Where the car has  tiny cuts and grazes in the paint some daft P.O. has randomly attacked them with an Ill matching rattle can that's made a God awful mess.  I've buffed it all off and carefully touched in the damage with a proper touch up  stick and it looks marvellous now.

And I've vacuumed the interior again.  It'll take 3 or 4 goes to get  it as clean as I want it.