Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Destroyed my back washing it and rainXing  it.....OK, it was bothering me beforehand but now I can hardly do anything without the knife pain again!     AUGH!!!!!

Might even stop me from camping...lol

1 person likes this

Nothing today - work :(  Good news is it's a lovely day and I drive a Fortwo cabriolet :)

1 person likes this

We have wunderfull weather so I'm driving the Roadster open for 3 weeks now !:D

IMG_0108.JPG

5 people like this

think my Fortwo is a dry car.  However, heavy thunderstorms forecast for Friday, so I guess I'm gonna find out!

we will have a meeting in Vlissingen 1-2 september.
It's the biggest Meeting in Europe.

Just to give you guy's an idee.....

2 people like this

Sorry off topic again...but.....wow those ships are close to shore aren't they steaming along...?

Oil and oil extractor pump ordered.  Already have a filter.  Debating whether or not to get a Pipercross air filter.  I don't expect any real gains, but the fit and forget nature of a good quality foam filter, without compromising filtration like a cotton filter, is appealing.

My Fortwo is fairly solid.  However, it is suffering from the standard issue cancer in places along the edge of the removable roof bars.  I was planning to rust kill and repaint them, but rummaging around in the garage I found some dark grey vinyl wrap that I didn't realist I possessed.  This gave me an idea...

Stripped the bars, and removed the seals.  Rubbed down the rust and rust killed the affected areas.  I then wrapped the metal portions with the vinyl, and reassembled the seals.  Refitted to car, ding dong the rust is gone.  OK, it doesn't match the paint, but the contrast looks pretty cool I reckon, and far much nicer to look at than the rust.

Interesting factoid - the roof bars are made by Webasto.  found their markings on the bits I dismantled.

Took advantage of the relatively cooler temperatures and spruced up "Bruised", the winter beater.  All shined up and nowhere to go.

Smart (Bruised) under a tree.jpg

2 people like this

The red caps for my control stalks arrived today.  Fitted within seconds of arriving home.

It was Dumpling's 2nd birthday today (2 years since in-service date) so I thought it would be cute to buy him some nice wax and give him a really good cleaning and polishing. (That's a container of wax as the "cake") :D I also cleaned and sealed the rubber seals.

I kinda ran out of steam when it came to the interior so I still need to vacuum and clean the mats.

IMG-0337.JPG

Edited by Mallory
2 people like this

Cleaned mine and sdrubbed the seats with upholstry cleaner.  Tried varuous difference cleaners on the cab hood window and it looks much better now.  I also de lipped the air intake.

I've ordered a hood cleaning and waterproofing kit, and all the bits needed for a service.

My radio surround has arrived, but the new stereo is still probably a week away.  I've consoled myself my downloading all my music onto a Micro SD card in readiness.  Everything from Black Sabbath to Gordon Lightfoot.

1 person likes this

The wife did the seats when we first got ours, not sure what she used but it took the stains out well....probelm is I just reapplied the stains in short order....so seat covers were easier...lol......that yellow dash is really hard to keep unstained! Also the door sides.....so may swap out for the black ones from otheer car one day?  It has the hard side pockets which look like a better thing over the mess pockets..?  They have droopy top edges which piss me off when i look at them...lol. Can have droopy stuff...lol.

1 person likes this

Marcie had a faultless journey to he new home. I started to look at removing the towing frame the previous carer had installed.After I had unbolted the bar, I could remove the front panels. In the process I smapped the aerial :( but a new base and aerial is on the way. With the front panels off I realiased I needed to pruchase a new front bumper support, which was dutifully ordered with polystyrene insert. So instead I removed the wiring and the braking cables so all I have to do is wip off the front end, remeve and replace the bumper support and at some point the lower grilles where they were cut.

To celebrate I took Marcie to the beach, where she displayed a check engine warning light :( no loss of power and all sounding as she should. After a quick internet search, I disconnected the battery which removed the warning, however it came back on later. So I checked the fuel cap seal and low and behold there is a break in the seal, so Im hopeful that a new cap and seal which I have ordered with sort it out.

3 hours ago, dolphinfreindly said:

Marcie had a faultless journey to he new home. I started to look at removing the towing frame the previous carer had installed.After I had unbolted the bar, I could remove the front panels. In the process I smapped the aerial :( but a new base and aerial is on the way. With the front panels off I realiased I needed to pruchase a new front bumper support, which was dutifully ordered with polystyrene insert. So instead I removed the wiring and the braking cables so all I have to do is wip off the front end, remeve and replace the bumper support and at some point the lower grilles where they were cut.

To celebrate I took Marcie to the beach, where she displayed a check engine warning light :( no loss of power and all sounding as she should. After a quick internet search, I disconnected the battery which removed the warning, however it came back on later. So I checked the fuel cap seal and low and behold there is a break in the seal, so Im hopeful that a new cap and seal which I have ordered with sort it out.

Welcome to the site.....you'll find all things Smart here I'm sure and a generous helping of fun and excitement....when least expecting it...lol.   Show us what you got....as you know...it never happened unless photgraphic evidense...lol

Again welcome....

Aberdeenshire, eh?  Welcome!  I spent a couple months in Portlethen back in the eighties.

Thanks guys,  pics will follow when the front is sorted as there is a couple of ugly chunks of metal sticking through the lower grill.

Portlethen is just down the road from me, some might say it's still in the 80s :)

2 people like this

Traveling home from Goderich today, my 451 rolled over 190k km.  By far the most km I have personally put on any vehicle I have owned.

20180723_145746.jpg

3 people like this

Tonight I drove my 450 in the dark for the first time.  Pleasantly surprised at how good the headlamps are.

1 person likes this

Yeah for a "city car" they're quite good.

1 person likes this

Huronlad posted.......

Traveling home from Goderich today, my 451 rolled over 190k km.  By far the most km I have personally put on any vehicle I have owned.

20180723_145746.jpg

I’m impressed.  And you used less than half a tank of gas !! :)

1 person likes this

Started to work on the wording for ads to sell my Smart cars.  Time to divest.

Health is heading south.  I certainly don’t need 3 Smarts.

Maybe a package deal?  I’ll think about that.

Meanwhile stay tuned.  I’ll be posting on this site first, to give club members the first shot.

Sorry to read that, Bill,  Best wishes.

1 person likes this