Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

ive never tried them but balancing beads are supposed to be really good

they keep working regardless of grease globs on rims and rocks in tread...constantly adjusting to maintain balance

Yes they work fine but only on narrow wheels and tonic bottles. 

i think on this side of the world they are more commonly used on transports and larger tires that hard to balance on normal sized machines

2 people like this

They're used here to balance out nasty, cheap, poor quality 4x4 tyres.  The sensible simply spend a bit more on quality tyres and don't need them.

They require spinning above a specific RPM or the balls won't do their job. I have used them many times in Tractor Trailer tires, was the newest thing way way back then.....I always used the machine to do my own. I used to do motorcycle wheel in my shop simply spinning them by hand and adding wieght....it's not difficult and I bet if you could get good bearings for the wheel to spin on you could do the fronts too.

But why bother, what's cost for a shop to spin them up and do them? Far better and they get to far higher speed ballancing........it is worth the $$$...lol

1 person likes this

Been a busy day today, must have been mad to do it all today, seeing as it's so humid and hot!
Went to the local scrap dealer, got my near new muffler for $50, two pods for the dash $20 pair, then Nigel got himself a set of alloy rims for snows $200 and some really good floor mats for free! .I may go back tomorrow and get the near new intercooler, and EGR hosing? And a drivers seat if the price is right.

It's a damned shame it can't be saved as before we started ripping and tearing into it it was a really nice car with not too much wrong with it. It has nice navy blue body panels on it also.
Fun Fun Fun.....

Today I am going to re-plumb the boost gauge with red silicone hose.  Just cosmetic really, the clear pipe that came with the gauge is a bit nasty, and even though it's virtually completely hidden I know it's there, and it's a stain on my consciousness.

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

Today I am going to re-plumb the boost gauge with red silicone hose.  Just cosmetic really, the clear pipe that came with the gauge is a bit nasty, and even though it's virtually completely hidden I know it's there, and it's a stain on my consciousness.

lol....

I think I may take today off, seems being 60 has it's limitations which attach to my neck issues.....after the excitement I did yesterday...Hmmmm.....?????
I thought I would go get the near new intercooler and a seat, but......maybe tomorrow....or next week....augh!  Having a very hard time typing with a numb right hand...very strange!  Pinched nerves, what a wonderful thing...!

1 person likes this

Done the silicone pipe and the gauge works so much better.  It now registers the vacuum on a closed throttle.  I think the cheap standard pipe was collapsing under the vacuum, but the silicone is more solid and the gauge much livelier in both directions as a result.  Now I can start using it as an economy tool.

1 person likes this

ahh vacuum, something diesel owners can only dream of.....

1 person likes this

Reworked the other two mufflers I have here, so all cars now have non cat mufflers on them. The winter beater is another step closer to running, maybe tomorrow I'll get the rear bumper and rear wheels back on. Then it'll be check front brakes for wear.  I have found two new to me pods to install in it also.   Getting them out was a chore and not delicate to say the least, so installation must be a patient...lol....venture as not to damage anything.lol. 
Now the question is, will these guages be easily pluged into the speedo cluster like the one it came from, OR am I into a major installation problem....Hmmm....also will the computer require flashing or whatever it is called to accept the new guages?

My star system isn't up and running yet, but soon. Fingers crossed...

STAR is needed for the tach.  The clock works with +12V.

1 person likes this

What happens if i install the tach without flashing the computer? Will it set off something bad or can I install then once i get my STAR working go in and flash it then?

yes, or if you're lucky the car will have had a tach before and it'll work.

Put a total of 65 km on the Canada1 (about 10km in the Lambeth Harvestfest parade).

I was getting a sporatic chime alarm (like a door ajar) and a “C” on the in-dash display instead of the gear selector #.

Glenn was beside me in the parade, and said he hadn’t seen the ”C” display before.

Expert knowledge.....?

Educated guesses.....?

My best guess is clutch.

....if I had to guess, the top (if it was down) is not latched properly.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MikeT said:

Soft top error, it's in the manual.

56 minutes ago, MikeT said:

....if I had to guess, the top (if it was down) is not latched properly.

Absolutely correct! .. I had this once (and only once) when the car was sitting at an odd angle and one side of the roof didn't latch properly.  Got out and pressed it into place and no more "C".

Nothing much today.  Need to drive in to civilisation to collect my new glasses. M once I'm home I'll check the pressures and levels and give her a clean.

And, out the blue, just because I could, I did the vertical wiper mod.  Very easy, as I have the 450 1/2 bonnet mod, so access was a snip.

Looks good, marks me out to other 450 drivers as an enthusiast, and has cut down on the wind noise a tiny bit.  Hell, it may even give me an extra 0.25 mpg.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

And, out the blue, just because I could, I did the vertical wiper mod.  Very easy, as I have the 450 1/2 bonnet mod, so access was a snip.

Looks good, marks me out to other 450 drivers as an enthusiast, and has cut down on the wind noise a tiny bit.  Hell, it may even give me an extra 0.25 mpg.

Everytime I wash the little bugger I think of doing this also.   Just not sure it looks that great visually......in my head..?   How much wider does it make the pillars that are taking too much visual real estate already...lol.  Just wondering?   Got a pic from driver's seat...?

It makes a tiny difference at the pillars, but a big difference down low when peering down to park in a tight spot.  Looks even better in the flesh than in the pics.  I is very happy.

1 person likes this

I purchased a set of pods and after painting over the cream trim rings I fitted the pods, really easy, 15 mins tops, looks like a proper smart now B)

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

It makes a tiny difference at the pillars, but a big difference down low when peering down to park in a tight spot.  Looks even better in the flesh than in the pics.  I is very happy.

Thanks.....tight spots..????   Here in Canada....LMFAO....lol....I still can't seem to park it straight in a parking spot wide enough to almost park it sideways in!  It's very strange but when you have so much room to use, I can't seem to get it absolutely straight...lol....and then backing it up.....lol....what a joke that is...always crooked!  Never get it near right on the first go either...must be quite the laugh for anyone watching...lol.

OK, now to see what it entails again...I'm definately interested ....

Thanks