Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Nothing today, because it's hissing it down.  The Turdis is nice and clean nestling in the garage, so I may pop out to check he's ok, but nothing more.

6 hours ago, Mallory said:

My partner and Dumpling got run off the road earlier today. Someone just cut him off and forced him to either slam into the curb or smash into the dude that cut him off. He chased after them and tried to get them to pull over by honking and flashing his lights, but they just drove off. He got their license plate number but ICBC won't do shit because there's no evidence. The front wheel is all screwed up, the tire loses pressure rapidly and I don't even know if there's further structural damage. We managed to inflate the tire and hobble Dumpling home and have to consider what to do next, because my partner is going to be considered at fault even though it was some other moron's criminal negligence that caused this.

First thing tomorrow we're buying a dash cam.

After getting challenged all the time by people wanting to turn at lights in front of me, I also went out and bought cameras and installed very bright LED spot lights for the front of my Smart.....for some reason I thought putting a silly sign on the rear window was a novelty idea also saying, "Smile You're on Camera" was the thing to do....I have video evidence front and rear now...yep I'm a nerd with a complex now...lol.    BUT IF I did get the same issue happen to me in the little ping pong ball we drive, I can take it to the Ins. and say ...PAY UP...!...lol.    Funny thing is, nobody threatens me any more since installing the cameras....which is also good....before it happened almost daily! It's as if they all knew...?   WTF..?

Today I was asked if I could take my freshly minted DUI nextdoor neighbor to Costco so he could stock up.....guess I'll leave the Smart in the driveway for this run...?   I have a feeling he may want the bulk size in everything he needs....lol    I'm wondering if even the RAV4 is big enough?

After being bad to my little car - Snowball the Canada 1 - and running the oil to 10,000 km (+600 km oil life left according to the car's dash), it was time to change the oil, oil filter and air filter.  Next time I'll go back to the 5000 km interval, I expect.

We were at the Three Point Motors Garage Sale today and I stocked up on a couple of years' worth of servicing parts for the B 200 and smart.

Blowing a gale here today, so left the smart asleep in the garage and pinched the Wife's Kia.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:25 AM, Willys said:

Today I was asked if I could take my freshly minted DUI nextdoor neighbor to Costco so he could stock up.....guess I'll leave the Smart in the driveway for this run...?   I have a feeling he may want the bulk size in everything he needs....lol    I'm wondering if even the RAV4 is big enough?

Just a note......very good thing I left the Smart at home for this trip...lol

He filled to the roof my RAV4 with close to $1000 worth of groceries etc etc from Costco...lol...I managed to squeeze 2 jars of jam and a box of eggrolls somewhere in too...lol  DAMN...!

I think he realizes he may not get rides into town that often  soon....lol.

I sort of feel for him but not....sometimes folks need a swift punch in the face to learn a lesson!  He's recieving a few now, .....not hard enough I don't think so far!     It's a shame as he's a nice guy, would give you the shirt off his back type guy....but this has him firmly in it's grasp!   Canadian Club man....

Well today I was forced to do the altenator trick and soak her in lubricant until I hopefully swap cars for the winter.....third time the Altenator wanted to sieze and not want me to start the car in the past week or so.   I was warned many times it was coming, just kept finding other things to do or forgeting .....no big deal, remove wheel crank with wrench and get running then soaked her down.....not a peep out of her now.....I guess lube does work...lol

That is one fancy rear suspension system! Nice!

Where's the electric drive, front hub...lol...?

Aye, Maestro fully floating suspension, separates pedal and suspension forces and eliminates bob.

No electric motors for me until I'm too elderly/infirm to ride without one.

£1500 in 2009, plus another hundred to have the forks and shock modified for my weight (I'm 260lbs).  By the standards of quality full squidge machines it's pretty good value!

1 person likes this

Checked the state of my tridion behind the rear wheel arch liners.  As clean as a nuns dreams.  I'm mighty pleased at how corrosion free my Smart is.

1 person likes this

Well, I am up and running with my own diagnostic equipment now.....thanks to someone extremely helpful here....who I will leave nameless but I'm sure they know who they are...a MASSIVE "THANK YOU" for your help. Couldn't have done it without your help and guidance.!!!

Going today to check to see if the junkyard has squashed that Smart Car yet or not and get a few more parts from it IF possible.

I have a question....are the gas powered and deisel powered cars the same internally or electrically speaking inside the passanger compartment.....or are they completely different??  I am after a passanger side air bag and interior door parts...?  450 model.

Also if the price is right maybe a turbo and manifold.....?   I love it when your local scrapyard owners are crackheads.....prices seem to be so flexable...lol

1 person likes this

Hmmmm....seems I have been visiting these guys too much, they now think it's gold plated....and they have more smart cars .....I asked how much for the entire new car $1500....LMAO.....No way buddy keep sucking on that pipe!   Managed to score an air bag for a buddy but that was it for resonable parts. Time to start advetising for a parts car!   Damn!  Oh well all good things must come to an end as they say!  Turbo was gold plated so let them keep that!   I'll see in the spring IF I can't find a good one in the mean time elsewhere.
Door was missing so no go on that also.

Pulled Red Pxl out of storage and went for a nice 80km drive in the country side. Man I missed driving my Smart.

2 people like this

I will let you know something........steam cleaning the carpets in your home is far worse than any vehicle maintenance that you may come across....!

I simply watched the Smart Car sitting in the driveway as I went back and forth cleaning carpets....AUGH....!!!!
I now hate cleaning carpets!

Dumpling is back from Eddy with a clean bill of health! Looks like all of the damage was only cosmetic. Eddy said he'll keep an eye out for a parted-out rim for me. Since the car was in the shop, I did a full B service as well because I needed it done eventually, so now Dumpling is riding on fresh filters and lots of new oil.

Does anyone here rust-proof spray for the winter?

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Mallory said:

Dumpling is back from Eddy with a clean bill of health! Looks like all of the damage was only cosmetic. Eddy said he'll keep an eye out for a parted-out rim for me. Since the car was in the shop, I did a full B service as well because I needed it done eventually, so now Dumpling is riding on fresh filters and lots of new oil.

Does anyone here rust-proof spray for the winter?

I'm a firm believer in RUST CHECK......I get them to do 2 years worth of spraying to start, then follow that up with my own sprying the following years. The first two get the oil where I can't reach easily  which is inside all captured areas like the cage etc. Then it's just maintenance afterwards. IMHO.  I have never had a car rust out so I swear by it.  They say they need to do it every year for the guarrentee to be effective, but imho, once you have done 2 internal sprayings and you follow up after wards with doing it yourself with a spray can, it works very well.   No need to keep spending the big bucks for a complete sraying.   I find RUST CHECK creeps the best and that is what  you want it to do....to coat anything and everything it can to seal any moisture out.

To each their own, there are many products out there which work so people claim.

I bet a couple of $10 cans of rustcheck would be enough to easily soak a Smart Car.  I spray it this time of year then drive down a dusty gravel road to help soak up the excess after they spray it and even after doing it yourself. Although it doesn't drip anywhere near as bad when you do it.

I always thought the green cans were agriculturally based stuff, for manure  and farming applications?   I only use the red cans, maybe they changed their formular for the green cans etc...?   I'll have to check again...I saw this when they first launched it way way back.....doesn't matter which, as long as it's used IMHO.

The passion cab is off the road now til spring, plates went onto the Echo... I will do an oil change on it soon, and keep the battery charged from time to time, and in the spring, there's all the deferred maintenance that didn't get done still! :)

On 9/30/2018 at 0:20 PM, Willys said:

I always thought the green cans were agriculturally based stuff, for manure  and farming applications?   I only use the red cans, maybe they changed their formular for the green cans etc...?   I'll have to check again...I saw this when they first launched it way way back.....doesn't matter which, as long as it's used IMHO.

red stuff is more penetrating...green is thicker and stays longer

1 person likes this