Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

I am now adjusting the garage door opener as in the wing on the back of the winter beater is too high...lol.   I will take some pics after it's all the way on the system,......so far it's a hair too tall and just at the top of the ramps........lunchtime demanded I stop. I have a very bad habit of forgeting to take pics of the things I do. I get in the zone for getting a job done and totally forget it may be of interest to others ...sorry.  It's a bad habit I have.  I rode 3 times out west and up to the arctic over the years and maybe took 50 pictures of the 3 trips.....most normal people would have taken hundreds...lol.. I hope to be going next summer in the Smart and will force myself to take some.....I must..lol

Edited by Willys

Since I bought the car there has always been a small but annoying gouge in one of the front wings where some mullet has flung their door open against it.  Today the shame got too much to bear so I rummaged round in my Box O' Crap  and found 2 x enamel union flag badges originally intended for my Westfield years ago.  On they went, one on each side, one to hide the blemish, one to even things up.  

Perfect, and just in time to patriotically shove it up Europe's arse! :lol:

2 people like this

Damn straight.  Don't get me wrong, I love Europe, it's the bullies and idiots that run it that have pithed me (and 17.5 million other people) off.  Now we're going they're really showing their true colours.  I nearly wet myself laughing when The Donald threatened new tariffs on Europe and Juncker raced across the Atlantic like a naughty schoolboy running to the headmasters office :lol:

Today I'm on Search and Rescue callout rota.  The Turdis is fuelled, all my gear loaded up, and parked on the driveway facing outwards, so if the call comes I can make a rapid (by Smart stadards) get away.

Edited by Chopper

Sorry the first thing that popped into my old head after reading this was......  The Turdis is fuelled, all my gear loaded up, and parked on the driveway facing outwards, so if the call comes I can make a rapid (by Smart stadards) get away. Na Na Na Na Na.....BatMan......Na na  na   na Batman...lol....

I never watched the Thunderbirds when I was a kid, grew up on Batman, Superman etc.....those string puppets just couldn't compete...lol...but they are as speedy as our Smarts....lol....The crisis will be over by the time you get to the launch pad at those speeds...lol

Does make you wonder why they just didn't climb in to the drivers seat and turn the key... 

How a pisstank like Juncker can be the face of the EC is beyond me.  They should be so embarrassed!

OK, it's only taken me as long to figure out how to get these pics from my phone and into this thread as it did to make this lift system...lol

Enjoy....all made from 2X10    total cost under $300.   I had the 3000lb winch sitting on a shelf for years and two used good batteries from cars going to the wreckers.

I winch the car up and down instead of trying to drive it without a spotter, far safer..imho...lol.  Next will be a leaning chair mounted to a swivel base to scoot around easily underneath. Maybe a new single 4X8 sheet under the whole middle section just for comfort. I can close the garage door now and still have ramps in place or remove them and store them to be able to fit a second Smart where the ramps are.  There is enough room I could work on 3 smarts side by side in the garage if it was cleared out, but too many tools and toys for that to happen!  I had to lift the garage door opener 5 inches because i didn't take into account the stupid rear tail fin on the top of this Smart. Plus this smart is lifted 2 inches ready for proper winter tires. After they are fitted it won't fit.....unless I remove rear wheels and install summers.

20181025_161857.jpg

20181025_161915.jpg

20181025_161932.jpg

20181025_161936.jpg

20181025_161944(1).jpg

20181025_161954.jpg

20181025_162008.jpg

20181025_162025.jpg

20181025_162042_Burst29.jpg

20181025_162113.jpg

20181025_162128.jpg

20181025_162217.jpg

5 people like this

It's great for getting under the car, I just need now to make a step to easily get up into the car instead of climbing like a monkey..lol. I think i have one of those colapsable steps  but if not a simple elongated stool will be easy enough to fab up. I have a partial length of 2X10 left to play with.  For the money invested it's cheap at half the price! IF you didn't have a winch and didn't want to buy one at Princess Auto when they came on sale for $69 or something stupid, a come along would work just as well.......a bit more elbow grease but easy enough to make do!  I took the ramps off today to get the summer car inside to clip the headlight adjuster off as it was running all the time, seems it came off the worm or track inside the headlight and seeing as how brittle the plastic is, screw it, even with a heat gun!  If they don't like my headlights screw'em, concidering how bright some of these new trucks are now a days!

I have also located a set of winter snows for the summer car cheap so tomorrow off to have a serious look at them.....and he says he has weather tech floor mats for the smart....cheap too.....so maybe a bundle buy?

IF anyone needs a set of coil spring compressors, Princess Auto has them on sale this week....$19 for ones we would need....bought those also. Just ready, in case so to speak...lol....now I have them I'll never need them ever again...lol

1 person likes this

Nice platform! I would add a cross-brace or two on each side, just to be safe. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, darren said:

Nice platform! I would add a cross-brace or two on each side, just to be safe. 

You are refering to front to back sissoring action I expect?  It has a few blocks to help stop that motion front and rear. It also has so many screws holding each piece in place it would to need a fair amount of force to allow such an effect...imho. If side to side the top rails front and rear stopped the side to side toppling effects as well. I understand what you're speaking of as it's sitting on carpeting 4 layers deep and does have or used to have some wiggle compared to sitting directly on the cement floor of the garage. It doesn't move at all and that's another reason for the winch, I do not want to be 3 feet up if it decides to come undone while attempting to drive it up the ramps. Everything is well controled, so no sudden forces being applied to the structure. 

Thanks for the concern....much appreciated.

A triangle is always more stable than a square.

And WHY is it sitting on four layers of carpet?! If that frame has any “shimmy” in it at all, adding screws and blocks isn’t likely to help. At the very least, you’ll want some triangular gusset plates connecting vertical and horizontal members, but ideally, cross-braces.

All it takes is a little bit of unexpected force, and that thing will fold or twist to the floor. Compare the strength of a timber-framed wall before and after sheathing is applied. 

Edited by darren

Going to do the drivers window adjustment today.  It's already cold and I want it done before winter really hits and I think of an excuse to leave it until April.

I wish....lol    I simply took mine out for a bath today in the heavy rain...lol.....halfway to where i was going the door open warning light started coming on and the stupid little dash light kept shining also the one in the middle of the dash by the cup holder......and an ocassional beep or two!  Took me a while to figure out what and why, so to speak...I must have a bad ground or a short in this sytem?  The issue is, I do not see a door button or plunger type switch that normal cars have. How does this car activate the alarm, by creating a ciruit? Where is the typical place to hunt for this issue? Hoping to get it fixed with as little water in my garage as possible...lol. Plus the time bent over looking, isn't appealing at the moment.......thoughts on where to look first?
Thanks