Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

I'll be venturing back under beater today reinstalling the bits I removed two days ago....minus the air-con pump. With any luck that is.....back isn't telling me it a good idea at the moment.  Fingers crossed.  I took altenator to my guy who rebuilds them and was warned not to allow just anyone to mess with these little monsters as one incorrect charge and you'll be buying a new unit. He doesn't have the correct machine to be able to test it so refused to touch it. He said if it was working beofre simply clean it up and reinstal.....they either work or they do not.  So begrudgingly that's today's job. 

The Canada 1 went to Victoria to the GAIN Classic Restoration and Collision Centre for its front end damage repair.  One or more of the guys who restored the 404C will be working on the car - Coachwerks was sold to GAIN and their former employees now work for GAIN.

I provided a nearly new stream green fender to replace the cracked one.  I may have the car back next week.

Meanwhile it's parked by an MGB, Austin-Healey 100-6, Porsche Turbo, Mercedes 280 SL and Citroën DS 21.

1 person likes this

Did the drivers door handle cable.  While the inner trim panel was off I gave it a scrub with fabric cleaner.  Cleaned and reprofed the hood.  Gave the car a quick wash and leather.  Rain X'd the screen.  Collapsed in a heap.

1 person likes this

Gave mine a clean cos it was caked in road salt.  Why do I have to suffer because the rest of the numbties don't drive to the conditions?

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Gave mine a clean cos it was caked in road salt.  Why do I have to suffer because the rest of the numbties don't drive to the conditions?

It's a situation that is common world-wide.  There are people out there that simply should not be driving under any circumstances.  Unfortunately, most of them come out of the woodwork in poor driving conditions.

2 people like this

Headed out to grab a new oil filter and do the bi-weekly oil change. The other night when I got home and put "Jester" to bed I spied some shine on a shelf in my shop I had forgotten about. I pulled one down and checked the fit.... I like it! Unfortunately the front rims are too shallow for the wheel covers to fit so I guess I'm shopping for 4 rear rims to fit these on with summer tires.

IMG134.jpg

IMG133.jpg

Edited by Gibby
forgot the pics
1 person likes this

Bit the bullet and gave "Bruised" a much-needed bath.  Road salt and general gunge isn't pretty at the best of times.  As another member's business proclaims ... "Dirt Is Not A Colour"

Seems after a drive around Lake Simcoe I also had to wash the car to see what colour it was!    I have hot water from the garage......washed well but it froze even faster than I could squeegee it off!...lol...minus 25 with the wind chill....and I was outside washing the car...DOH...!!!!!

4 hours ago, Gibby said:

Headed out to grab a new oil filter and do the bi-weekly oil change. The other night when I got home and put "Jester" to bed I spied some shine on a shelf in my shop I had forgotten about. I pulled one down and checked the fit.... I like it! Unfortunately the front rims are too shallow for the wheel covers to fit so I guess I'm shopping for 4 rear rims to fit these on with summer tires.

IMG134.jpg

IMG133.jpg

I like them caps!...I'd be searching for rears also....dang!

OH wait a minute, I have some.....lol.    Now where to get those caps.....but I like the alloys.....damn...decissions decissions...lol...?

1 person likes this

The caps are off a 95 Caprice classic I had. I was running it with the black steelies showing. It was all blue and looked exactly like an unmarked police cruiser. lol

Finally took the leap and did the updated thermostat on Bruised due to the other half's grumbling about the lack of heat (she wears heavy wool sweaters on 30+ degree days)  Somewhere on the site, I saw someone mention that they did this without dropping the engine.    I don't think so!!  There space available is too small even for someone with "lady fingers".

When all was said and done, however, in minus 15C weather, I managed to reach 3 blobs for the first time in over 9 years of owning this car. 

Now, maybe I can re-clean it since my dark blue car looks totally white.  (darn salt)

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Leadwing said:

When all was said and done, however, in minus 15C weather, I managed to reach 3 blobs for the first time in over 9 years of owning this car.

I'm Jealous! Had the Oil Pan Heater plugged in last night. -21 and finally had "1 Blob" 15 minutes into my drive to work this morning. BRUTAL! Only a high of -19 today so a little concerned about her starting after work to get me home. Can't plug her in.

I got the car back from the body shop today.  The right headlight was replaced too because the original was cracked and - of course - the used replacement has the dreaded "infinite adjustment motor" noise.  They now have to get another.  Otherwise the work was good enough.  $2550 in damage.

+6C.... washed the Grandstyle for the first time this year.   Forgot that it’s green.  🤪

I figured it wouldn’t freeze to a solid block today.

Ditto........lol.....also soaked altenator in WD40 just for good measure and did a service.......Hopefully I won't put more kms on than required before spring gets here......lol.

Drove it around in our -31 C temps to see how long it took to come up to temperature. Got the first bubble in about 3 kms and the second about 2 kms later. It had been plugged in all night so had a head start. 

Last weekend, I greased the front end and the clutch actuator. Got rid of the squeeky (couch springs) noise in the front when going over bumps.

Edited by mender
2 people like this

Been very naughty.  Mrs chopper has had surgery on her liver so I've pinched her car this last 8 days.  However, it's almost out of fuel so it's time to put it back and use the Smart, which has been nestling safe and warm jn the garage away from the frost.

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

Been very naughty.  Mrs chopper has had surgery on her liver so I've pinched her car this last 8 days.  However, it's almost out of fuel so it's time to put it back and use the Smart, which has been nestling safe and warm jn the garage away from the frost.

Hope Mrs Chopper is recovering well and unaware of your dastardly hi-jinks...lol....

Well done....

1 person likes this

Forced again yesterday to spend $3, the initial starting up cost at the spray and wash, to see what colour my Smart is...lol.      Just another solid reason to own a smart......$3 car washes...!

Now it sits patiently for the oncoming winter storm to hit us......20-30 cms of the white stuff then freezing rain then a few more cms just for good measure.....what a joke...the whole place has been shut down or cancelled because of it.....when I was a kid we had to.......

1 hour ago, Willys said:

.....when I was a kid we had to.......

Walk uphill both ways, bare-foot for 8 miles through 6 feet of snow to go school? :lol:

1 person likes this

Painted my grille.  Silver trid, silver panels,  all a bit much silver so a black grill breaks jt up and lofts the cars "smile". The rear wheels would benefit from a refurb so I may get all 4 done in black as well.

1 person likes this

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today? UNFORTUNATELY............nothing Good! After almost 5 years as a "Daily Runner", I took my '05 CDI off the road. Not quite sure what to do with her. :sad01_anim:

16 minutes ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

After almost 5 years as a "Daily Runner", I took my '05 CDI off the road.

:verysad: Why?

3 hours ago, Leadwing said:

:verysad: Why?

She's really taken a toll on me with the last few weeks of winter. I've missed several days of work and Life just isn't fun anymore. Trying to justify keeping her but the insurance on 2 vehicles in London is outrageous. Still trying to figure out my options at this time.