Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

She's really taken a toll on me with the last few weeks of winter. I've missed several days of work and Life just isn't fun anymore. Trying to justify keeping her but the insurance on 2 vehicles in London is outrageous. Still trying to figure out my options at this time.

Feel your pain a bit, I missed a couple days this week as well due to the weather although in my case I have an alternative vehicle or 2 but the length of my commute played a big part too. Just wasn't worth taking the risk of not getting home at all not due to my or my vehicles abilities but the chance of plain ole bad luck. 

Hang in there, Spring is on its way. I'm suffering from severe PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) as well to boot ;)

1 person likes this

Washed my Smart, my daily runner for 17 years and mowed all lawns. Unseasonally warm and sunny here for a change.

1 person likes this

I did contemplate mowing my lawns Tolsen, but the ground is still wet down here in Englandland.

Well....I finally am thinking of dealing with the headlight issue my smart has had since last summer....the right headlight is shining up to the moon....I did mess with the adjuster and cut the wire off to stop it self adjusting in the fall thinking I had solved the issue. BUT....I think it has vibrated back to full upwards position on the bad roads. But the temps here are far too cold to try and get the front clip off without risking cracking something..so I'm waiting for a slightly warmer day.  The question is, what's the best thing to do....? If I can wait for the hot summer days I was planning of disassembling the headlight all together and hot gluing it in the downward position or whatever it requires to not get flashed constantly. I also have a new rattle or vibration under or in the right hand side of the dash.....I hate rattles....augh....lol    But I hate working in the cold even more...lol....so I wait...tic toc .....

1 person likes this

Running out this afternoon to pick up the new emblems for "Jester" 

52964845_2160125764297544_4435404660630618112_n.jpg

2 people like this

Got the new decals on "Jester" today . One little rip into town to grab some steaks for dinner was worth a few smiles from others ;)

IMG174.jpg

3 people like this

I TIG weld repaired my nearly 17 year old exhaust.  Removed the now nearly two months old German KFZ - Teile Köln Edelstahl exhaust as it had gone rather rusty. 

97525314-645C-450E-B81D-7D83D8FB361C.jpeg

New rusty German exhaust is being returned. Very loud, poor fit, restricted power and rusted just like it was made out of mild steel. 

My original exhaust was holed all around area where inlet pipe connects to box.

97939842-5BC2-4609-9EDF-DC337B530849.jpeg

This KFZ - Teile Köln exhaust looks like it was made by a child. 

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

I TIG weld repaired my nearly 17 year old exhaust.  Removed the now nearly two months old German KFZ - Teile Köln Edelstahl exhaust as it had gone rather rusty. 

97525314-645C-450E-B81D-7D83D8FB361C.jpeg

New rusty German exhaust is being returned. Very loud, poor fit, restricted power and rusted just like it was made out of mild steel. 

My original exhaust was holed all around area where inlet pipe connects to box.

97939842-5BC2-4609-9EDF-DC337B530849.jpeg

This KFZ - Teile Köln exhaust looks like it was made by a child. 

What is that hose for on the right hand side zip tied down...? Thanks.....just nosey....nice welding on the exhaust....they are so simple to fix.....did you gut the Cat too...?

6 hours ago, Willys said:

What is that hose for on the right hand side zip tied down...? Thanks.....just nosey....nice welding on the exhaust....they are so simple to fix.....did you gut the Cat too...?

That clear plastic hose contains wiring for my rear fog light. UK require rear fog light on rights side of vehicle whilst mine which is a left side drive has rear fog light on left side. I fit a rear fog light on right side prior to each annual motor vehicle test and remove it after the test. 

My CAT is still intact but unsure if it is any good. 

IF you look at your CAT it has such fine holes for the air to flow through it's almost impossible to think the exhaust gasses could easily get throw it.....and it gets clogged with soot.....you will notice a difference after removing it.  Slight but noticable. IF you cut the can on the forward facing side the inspection  may miss it or if you do it well enough he may just be unable to see the cut after time?   OR simply have a spare muffler to use for the test day.  Our testing idiots are far more incompetent than what yours are imho...they simply see if it's pumping black smoke and that's it....they aren't allowed to use a screwdriver like yours are to search for issues. I had an old Ford Cortina  taken off the road after the dreaded screwdriver was used on it.....

I had issues with the mechanic after this was done.....they shouldn't be allowed to simply jam a flat blade into your vehicle searching for weak spots in the bodywork...augh!   

I will admit it was a rust bucket, but at the age of 20 it was all I had.....had being the correct word!

Well....it has happened to me so I now feel one of the clan officially speaking...lol
LIMP MODE....!

Not 100% I don't think because i could go over 3000 rpms but just no power and a very light pedal. Also couldn't hold any speed at any grade.....only on a flat road could it maintain 80-90 kmph...!
I limped to where I needed to go, then took a look....wiggled the EGR plug and banged the EGR and split a knuckle...lol. BUT it worked, fixed it!

Now tomorrow's job is seeing what the STAR says happened, codes etc etc.....It showed no engine lights, nothing. BUT....boy did it drink fuel!  I sat close to 15 litres per hundred driven the whole time it was in limp mode.  Not something I want to see as it makes me think the cylinders are getting washed..?  If that is possible in a diesel I do not know?

Good thing i do not need to go anywhere soon......so I could wait a few days for the closer to zero temps and not work in the minus 20's......augh!   I can't get two Smarts in the garage and still be able to open the engine compartment.  SOB...!

I may be taking the EGR off as I have cleaned it within a milimeter of it's life during the summer months.....so I know it isn't clogged up...I hope!  But I will peek into it to make sure. 

It felt like the air cleaner was plugged up....is the best way to describe why it was doing what it was doing. 

I hate to say it, but if it isn't the EGR it could be a failed turbo.

6 minutes ago, smart142 said:

I hate to say it, but if it isn't the EGR it could be a failed turbo.

Well then don't say it..lol.    As per the scanguageII it showed boost being built up while driving it. Not sure the numbers were correct yet, but it did drive correctly on the way home.....so maybe just a stuck EGR...?  I'll maybe have to start carrying a tiny hammer around with me to tap the EGR from now on...lol....better than skinning  a knuckle...lol
I'll put the STAR onto it tomorrow if the puppies allow me the time without destroying the house.  We've been left alone for 3 days......will the wife recognize the house when she gets back...lol.

10 hours ago, Willys said:

Well then don't say it..lol.    As per the scanguageII it showed boost being built up while driving it. Not sure the numbers were correct yet, but it did drive correctly on the way home.....so maybe just a stuck EGR...?  I'll maybe have to start carrying a tiny hammer around with me to tap the EGR from now on...lol....better than skinning  a knuckle...lol
I'll put the STAR onto it tomorrow if the puppies allow me the time without destroying the house.  We've been left alone for 3 days......will the wife recognize the house when she gets back...lol.

I still need those keys programmed for mine yet. Let me know and I'll whip up the EGR delete pipe to fit yours if you like. Mine runs fine with delete in place and old ERG ZIP tied under the bonnet and plugged in just for the signal. If I unplug the EGR I get Limp mode immediately. Perhaps it's a bad connector you're dealing with? BTW I have procured ;) enough materials to fab another Stainless exhaust system too. No cat , Just baffled down to a throaty growl and designed to never plug up with soot.

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, Gibby said:

I still need those keys programmed for mine yet. Let me know and I'll whip up the EGR delete pipe to fit yours if you like. Mine runs fine with delete in place and old ERG ZIP tied under the bonnet and plugged in just for the signal. If I unplug the EGR I get Limp mode immediately. Perhaps it's a bad connector you're dealing with? BTW I have procured ;) enough materials to fab another Stainless exhaust system too. No cat , Just baffled down to a throaty growl and designed to never plug up with soot.

I have the EGR pipe already made up, made a flairing tool to get a good flair to keep hose on pipe.....I also zip tied the old clean EGR into the system just for the signal in the beater and it's perfect.  May have to repeat this for the summer car. After the deep freeze is over. It's minus 20 here at the moment so it can wait...lol.  It's going up above freezing this weekend....so I'll be after it then for sure.   We can do keys whenever you wish....but warmer is always nice...lol

Minus 12?  Woof!

Today I bought a new battery for the Canada 1.  The other one was depreciated by the alternator and not as healthy as it should be.

Plus 3C today here in Edmonton of all places!

I'm tempted to pull my Canada 1 out from storage...but looks like its going to be messy with all the snow melting. Don't know how you're able to drive yours year round MikeT.

I've got a crappy head cold.  Smart cleaned, levels checked, rolled into the garage so he can stat warm while I stay warm in the house.  There's a storm forecast for tomorrow so I'm staying i. the house under my duvet.

Changed driver side interior door handle cable in sleet and snow. Cable had frayed at both ends and door would not latch. 

Wonder why Smart had to use push bike technology. Why not use fool proof rod linkages like in the olden days?

6 hours ago, tolsen said:

Why not use fool proof rod linkages like in the olden days?

This is just a guess, but # 1 -  It's cheaper and # 2 - cables weigh less than rods & linkages.

1 person likes this

If weight was an issue then why do they outfit these cars with allow wheels when steel wheels are lighter?

Took her for a spin and washed her ready for more salt and snow tonight....augh!

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Willys said:

Took her for a spin and washed her ready for more salt and snow tonight....augh!

At least it is warm enough to wash at home