Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, tolsen said:

If weight was an issue then why do they outfit these cars with allow wheels when steel wheels are lighter?

Probably because after a few years, steel rims tend to rust unless you are on top of taking care of chipped paint.  The alloy rims, although heavier, tend to look nicer, longer with little or no maintenance other than normal washing.

Got the whirring replacement headlight changed for a good one and the grille repainted at the shop that forgot to do it the first time.  So she's back to as good as new, for looks (BRABUS Canada 1).

I have both steel and alloy wheels from 2002. The steels are fine but having trouble with slow puncture with the alloys.  Caused by corrosion on rim seal area. 

Took Lil’Toot (my ‘05 Passion) out for a much-needed run today.

Two cycles of the glow plugs and it started right up.  It’s been on a battery tender all winter.

Last run was maybe Aug/Sept.  Was started once, maybe Jan/Feb.

Did a 60km run today to Port Stanley, with an emergency stop for ice cream at Shaw’s.

Car sat since the fall on brand new tires, with no sign of flat-spotting.

A little squeak on waking up the new’er alternator, but it’s objection quickly disappeared.

While parked at the beach In Port Stanley watching the frozen waves, a couple came up wanting to buy my car.

I took his particulars for possible follow-up.

Fate takes a hand !!

Leaving the Grandstyle outside tonight in hopes of a car wash a’ la nature.

Edited by smartnhappy

Rowe bumper off, inspected for corrosion.  Looking good, so cleaned the hidden bodywork, sprayed with Duck Oil, and reassembled for another year.

Think the rear engine mount is going yet again.  Going to fit a new one with the Polyflex inserts, which should knock that on the head once and for all.

New engine mount and poly insets ordered.  Nice job for next week.  Weather is dry here so ive broken out my 36 year old Claud Butler bicycle and I'll be riding that to work this week.  Its older than most of my work mates!

The rubber bit that goes arou the fuel filler is a bit tatty, so I've ordered a new one of those well.  The Devil is in the detail.

Edited by Chopper

New wheels arrived today, just ordered the new Avon ZZR 205/40/17 for them, being fitted Friday.  Much excitement :D

brabuswheel_crop_690x673.jpg

4 people like this

Whoa. What wheels are these? I’ve never seen that design in smart fitment. 

Fitted a new rubber filler neck surround.  Was only £14 from Mercedes, so I don't know why I put off doing it for so long.

11 hours ago, darren said:

Whoa. What wheels are these? I’ve never seen that design in smart fitment. 

you like?

they are the same design as 453 Brabus wheels.

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tire-wheels/rims/brabus-16-17-inch-rim-set-genuine-smart-453-monoblock-ix-anthracite-high-sheen.htm

New engine mount and poly Bush has arrived.

20190404_130005.jpg

2 people like this

47 minutes ago, Chopper said:

New engine mount and poly Bush has arrived.

20190404_130005.jpg

Where did you get this and how much.....Hmmmm.....I like nice shiney things...lol.  Do they also make the rear bushings using the same materials?

It's a Powerflex insert, cost about £25. It should stop the problem of self destructing engine mounts every couple of years.  They warn that there may be a slight increase in NVH, but I've used them on other cars and never noticed any worsening in that regard.

I'm a big fan of Powerflex, nice bits at decent prices.  They do bushes and inserts for other parts of the 450.  Polybush also do a range for the 450.

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/category/smart-smart-1050

Hmmmm.......maybe....?

Hmmmm.......maybe not...lol

1 person likes this

Apologies for the pic rotation, I'm not sure about these wheels...

Tilted smart.jpg

Edited by Leadwing
Fixed rotated photo
1 person likes this

Finally did the centre engine mount.  It did not go well.  Access is tight for normal mortals, but when you're 6'5" and built like a bull silverback it's impossible.  I had to drop a rear wheel, remove the alternator and gain access that way.

In the plus side, its transformed the car.  No clunk on pulling away, no thump between gears, smooth as Nigel Havers chatting up a 19 year old.

2 people like this

Hmmmm...a job best left to when sub frame has been pulled I think, speaking from the same size handed individual.....lol.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:01 PM, dolphinfreindly said:

Apologies for the pic rotation, I'm not sure about these wheels...

Tilted smart.jpg

They certainly do look nice but with 17" rubber I bet every crack and pot hole is like jumping the Grand Canyon..???

I'm going the opposite way, balloon type tires for comfort and less cornering...lol.

6 hours ago, Willys said:

They certainly do look nice but with 17" rubber I bet every crack and pot hole is like jumping the Grand Canyon..???

I'm going the opposite way, balloon type tires for comfort and less cornering...lol.

I was a little apprehensive but following advise I went for Avon ZZ5 205/40 rubber which is surprisingly compliant, yes the ride is a little harsher but it's certainly not jarring except over the deepest of holes which are usually seen and avoided. It is now also so much more stable and corners without going straight on.

I went for standard Goodride 175/55R15 on rear axle. Surprisingly Goodride and easy on my pocketbook. 

I went for Continentals, which I regret.  They grip like a greased ice cube in a teflon frying pan.  A bit of damp weather and the little Smart's chassis aids are working overtime to reign it in.

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

I went for Continentals, which I regret.  They grip like a greased ice cube in a teflon frying pan.  A bit of damp weather and the little Smart's chassis aids are working overtime to reign it in.

LMFAO....!!!!

I have my own China tyre machine and source my tyres from mytyres.co.uk or their eBay site which sometimes is cheaper.  Balance my tyres at a local garage when they have their lunch break and balancing machines are at idle.