Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

We have here in Canada now some idiotic rule that is forcing most companies to regulate what sized tires we can legally run on our vehicles.....so to get anything other than what it came with bar one size up or down if that many choices you have to say the tires are for a trailer  and not installed on a vehicle or they will not sell the tires to you. OR even look them up!   Idiots...Canadian Tire comes to mind.

Of course there are physical limits as to what size of tyre one can mount on a rim. 

I am fully aware of limits but they are now forcing  specific sized tires on us for specific vehicles. I'm an old tire man and am fully aware that we can cheat just a bit from stock sizes without your vehicle becoming a missle or a danger to you or others.
I am searching for taller tires simply to fill out wheel arch space after a 2" lift, there is no way i can buy tires here without telling them they are trailer tires. Just saying.

I order all my tires online and just order by size. I then take the rims and tires to a local tire shop. No questions asked. 

I generally find CT overpriced for tires, so I don’t shop there for tires. Tools on the other hand . . .

Visited Uncle Glenn today and got "Bruised" (winter beater) all set for it's estivation.  Fresh oil and filter and a general inspection to confirm that the beast will be ready to do battle with the snowflakes when they once again arrive.

Time to bring out the convertible. :lol:

2 people like this

Broke my intercooler scoop last week while doing my engine mount.  Sods law, first bit of mildly warm weather today and the intercooler fan is gleefully cutting in.  Dammit.

Cue a day of swearing, banging, and mad scientist laughter, and Spank the Smart has emerged from the lab with an intercooler spray. 1.1 litre washer bottle and pump intended for a kit car, adjustable boost pressure switch (currently set to c.6 PSI) and 2 x Vauxhall Insignia misting washer jets mounted in the fan shroud, and I now have a boost operated automatic intercooler spray.  Soon as I can find a suitable switch I'll fit an over ride in the cabin for cold weather driving.

A spirited lap of the neighbouring villages and the intercooler fan didn't cut in once. Hurrah!

Today I dug out an olde 7" tablet and downloaded Ttorque Pro so I can keep an eye on intake temperatures.  I also downloaded Waze onto it so it also makes a splendid sat nav.

It perches excellently on the ashtray in the centre dash, and 2 small notches cit into the sides of the ashtray (invisible when closed) stop it sliding about.  A happy mornings work.

Welded up a cracked exhaust bracket and reinforced it.....no more weird rattling sounds now.....also checked all lift kit bolts etc in the rear looking for said rattle, all tight.
I am sitting on the fence about removing the lift due to metal on metal clunking when driving over very cracked and busted up roads.  Just a bit annoying is all. Also noticed 451 rins are tight fitting compared to 450 stock steels. Just more work....augh!

Pulled my back out badly last weekend and now it's really biting me. 

Installed cheap as chips seat covers just to keep beater seats nice and clean to be swapped into summer car one day as they are black and grey and summers are yellow and show every bit of dirt etc.

The beaters are also heated which makes them stiffer and more comfortable imho.

Grabbed a steal of a deal on a parts smart this week. Found an 06 Cabrio to rape and pillage for "Jester" . Then dabbling with the idea of fitting the drive train from my 85 MR2 into the 06 for fun ;)

Edited by Gibby
typo
2 people like this

Had a chance to go over the parts smart today to compile the list of pcs I need. I'm ridiculously giddy at how many of the pieces I need are in great shape on the parts car even though it has near as many km on it as "Jester" (now creeping up on 190 000km) Even the intercooler is solid without a sign of leaking anywhere. I did try starting it but noticed after a bit a small puddle on the shop floor dripping from the centre cylinder area of the exhaust manifold. Yep, diesel... Car was hit in the right rear corner before ending up in the Towing yard I grabbed it from. If nothing else it's a complete engine to rebuild and have ready. ;)

1 person likes this

Got my lawn tractor stuck in the ditch with roller attached....used Smart to tow her out..!    I was shocked it had the balls to do so!   

I also noticed my windshield is completely lose all along the bottom of the glass....you can literally push it 1/2" away from frame...!   Hmmmm......time to price up  new wind shield maybe or simply clean, dry and restick old stone chipped glass back in...?   I do not want to remove this old glass just to reinstall considering it has 3 good sized stone chips in it......it just makes zero sense to do it...!  Anyone in the Toronto area know of a cheap place to buy windshields?????

I had a similar problem, albeit in a single 12" spot rather then the whole length. Given time I'm sure it would have spread the whole way across.

I used a fine nozzle to squirt Sikaflex EBT into the gap from outside, and left it 48 hours to cure.  I breathed a great sigh of relief when not only did the leak stop but the windscreen was now solidly in position again.

1 person likes this

Nothing is ever simple.  My intercooler spray works brilliantly, reduces intake temps by up to 18 degrees Celsius and eliminates that fan cutting in at all when in use, so in that regard it's a success.

However, before I could get too smug I noticed that after use it continues to syphon slowly until its empty after it's been used.  Arrggghhhh! 12v solenoid ordered to fit into the delivery pipe ordered, another £7.

Well.....what can I say but......$#%$#@&&^%....!!!!!     

6 hours of messing around getting an alternator off my good car....all because  the nut on the back of the alternator was so rusted it started rounding off as i was turning it.  That was because I couldn't get the alternator turned fully around to be able to get a wrench nicely onto it either. I should have dropped the sub frame and swore i was going to..but after reading a bunch of reports detailing how simple it was so to speak by dropping the front engine mount etc I had to try.  My arms and hands look like I just lost a fight with a rabid ferrell cat !!!  They are ripped to pieces..!  I also think I am going to remove the oil pan when it comes time tomorrow to reinstall it. Also seeing as the pan has a fair sized dent in the front of it!  I always wondered why when refilling the oil it never took what everyone kept saying was the correct mount...lol. So I'm after a new drain pan so will order one with a drain plug in it also. No messing around. Sucking dirty oil is a bad idea...imho. The other thing is i was forced to remove the entire front engine mount to get enough space to turn the alternator so i was able to firmly hold and get the 6 point socket on the nut before it was cut the wire time. Something I saw rapidly approaching.! Long story short...it's finally off and tomorrow it'll be in the lathe hopefully getting shaved down a hair. Doing this made all the difference when dealing with constant seizing up if you don't drive it for a few days. I also ordered a set of fresh front springs to see if she'll ride better.  The difference between the beater's new springs and the summer car is noticeable and the price for two new springs isn't too bad. germancar parts etc.   The biggest issue I'm finding is ordering the engine mount here in Canada cost wise compared to England's cost.....many times more expensive here! Plus the poly bushing guys don't stock 450 bushings either....seeing as 450 weren't delivered to the USA so they figure why stock bushings for us Canadians...lol.....augh.....so another over sea's order required.

I also have a new new black nail, no polish required....lol....next will be the drill to relieve the pressure.......maybe....see if it stops throbbing by tonight.

So I hold the longest removal time I bet to get an alternator off a Smart....lol

2 people like this

Solenoid arrived and fitted, so I now have fully working intercooler spray.

I'm at the point in my rolling 28 day shift pattern where I'll be cycling to work over the next fortnight, so tonight I cleaned the Smart and tucked him up safe in the garage.

Got some time this afternoon to complete the body swap from the parts car to "Jester". It has him looking rather dapper now. A photo from the other night with just the Rims and tires swapped then the new 2 tone look after today. 

IMG200.jpg

IMG207.jpg

2 people like this

Nothing today on my own Smart.  Was a SAR callout earlier, but Mrs Chopper wasn't using the Volvo so I pinched it.  Press the loud pedal in sport mode and it's like I've stood on a land mine!  Keep it in Eco and it does over 100mpg.  Astonishing, although for what Volvo ask for one you'd expect no less.  Meanwhile, Spank the Smart remains clean and snug in the garage.

Willy's is having trouble getting certain parts for his Smart, so I've ordered it today here in England and when it arrives I'll repackage it and post it on to him myself.  If it works out (and I can't see why it wouldn't) I'd be willing to do the same on an occasional basis for the rest of you.

2 people like this

Is it here yet.......?????

Now...????

When...augh...???

LOL.....

Well after almost destroying my good car's alternator I put it aside and went after the windshield in the beaters as it is basically un-glued all the way across the bottom edge!   Lets just say I can pull out the rubber and clean it with the windshield in place!  It now has a fresh coat of the good old black silcon oozing out  all around the rubber seal...lol....so once that mess dries solid I'll cut it close to flat and apply even more and smooth it off with spactula....lol.   Yes it's a beater!  Not a looker!  You will be happy to learn one can insert a large flat bladed screwdriver under glass and rotate it to lever up glass enough to easily pull out rubber seal and fully clean and then reinsert it without damaging the glass.....but you must hold your tongue in the just so perfect position...lol.

After that excitement I looked for summer wheels and tires and installed them ready for no more snow. So if you get snow, yep..my fault!   We woke up to snow yesterday I think it was....! Yep I'm a gambl'in man...lol.

Also lubed up my lift kit's contact points on the body as they are starting to squeak.......enough to piss me off so once I relocate the old bolts and hardware it'll be coming back out and back to stock hieght. Which will make it harder to get in and out of....it's surprising how much easier it is to get in and out with a small lift....installed.

Well...is it here yet..?

No.....damn....thanks by the way for all your help Chopper....first class gent....if I can repay the kindness the same way let me know.....

2 people like this

LMFAO.....woke up to frost everywhere...told you...my fault...!

The hunt begins....

Smart has been parked in my driveway for quite a while. Always starting her and buzzing back and forth in the driveway to keep things moving. Well..........last week, she wouldn't move. Rear Brakes locked up and would not "pop" loose with forward and reverse on the gas. Uncle Glenn came to the rescue yesterday with the "Land Cruiser". with me in the Smart and Glenn finessing A tow strap between the 2 didn't help. So Glenn jumped on the juice and dragged her about 20 feet up my driveway with the rears skidding the entire way. A very gentle shift into reverse popped them loose. Definitely a bonus to live only 5 minutes away from the "Smart Whisperer's" Den.      

1 person likes this

Hey, it was my pleasure! The old Landcruiser came out of hibernation and was useful once more.

Did an oil change and she's almost ready for summer!

1 person likes this

Well, I told you ...it's snowing here......quite hard .....amazing what changing over your snows to summers will do ....eh...?