Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Regarding the forecast arctic blasts I am prepared for all eventualities. Got winter tyres ready plus two pairs of snow chains and snow shoes for myself. Of course got enough fuel to keep me warm for several months plus ample supplies of whisky. 

1 person likes this

We're going to be in Scotland in two weeks.  Should we bring snowshoes?

My colleagues in Mountain Rescue in Wales had a callout at the weekend in full winter conditions, blizzard and all.  Here in the middle it's ok, it feels cool like winter is clinging on though.

Pop in for a visit if you manage to come south at all Mike (65 miles north of London).

Edited by Chopper

I have just finished installing a Kenwood DNX8220BT to Marcie, its been sat waiting for a while but now shes in. I need to tap into the forum knowledge base though.

For some reason the underseat sub is not working. I reconnected the previous Smart unit and its fine, plug the Kenwood in and no dice. that tells me there is nothing wrong with the wiring, as it orks with the Smart unit. I have tried all the settings I can find on the Kenwood thinking its just a balance/fader thing as Marcie only has 2 door and 2 dash speakers, but still nothing. Can anyone help please.

thanks

Last week Dumpling gave me a no-start scare. Drove him to work just fine, get off work at 9 PM in Downtown and he just starts throwing up error messages (Transmission failure, Brake Force Distribution Failure, Stability control offline, airbag inactive - everything controlled by the ECU basically). Had to get him towed (Mercedes Roadside Assistance was great!) which attracted quite a few on-lookers. The tow truck driver kept quizzing me about the car and said he wanted one (I thought it was ironic, considering... he was towing one that broke down!)

Mercedes was not very accommodating (they had the gall to chide me for "not making an appointment" - well sure, next time I'll plan a roadside breakdown in advance - how thoughtless of me) but in the end they got it fixed. Apparently it was a faulty battery. The mechanic that's been assigned to me by Mercedes is a nice young guy and he's thrown me a bone several times - replaced a whole bunch of expensive parts last time the car was serviced under warranty, this time he told me that apparently for the warranty on electrical components to be valid, I have to drive a minimum number of kilometers a month and that I "just made it". I suspect I didn't quite make it and he just made it so that I did.

On the way back I decided to take some pictures of Dumpling and the cherry trees.

DumplingCherryBlossom.jpg

2 people like this

Well, spent the day removing the inter cooler and EGR system from my summer car....yep rubbed through!  No wonder I wasn't getting the same performance as the repaired beater...Hmmm...????   I have a near new cooler  and fan to drop in so that's a good thing. I will also repair the old cooler with the magical JBWeld solution.....perfection...lol.  Plus the EGR was plugged up almost solid....that'll be leaving....for sure!   Just waiting on a few emulators from the wizard Izzy......Black box magic...
Tomorrow i'll be removing the boost actuator rod or is that a waste gate rod mechanism ....just to freshen it up.  I think the starter is coming out too while it's this far apart....I do not want to do this again any time soon. I also will be removing all excess coolant hoses and such. Oil pan also....Hmmm.....I'll be taking a peek at the oil pump chain as well I guess too.   Might  be a busy day...lol

The thing that burns me the most is......I had to have the heat on to work in the garage in MAY.....!!!    AUGH...!

On 4/19/2019 at 9:28 PM, Gibby said:

Grabbed a steal of a deal on a parts smart this week. Found an 06 Cabrio to rape and pillage for "Jester" . Then dabbling with the idea of fitting the drive train from my 85 MR2 into the 06 for fun ;)

i often thought of picking up a beater to jam an old tercel engine into...but mr2 sounds even better

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i often thought of picking up a beater to jam an old tercel engine into...but mr2 sounds even better

I still have my Toyota Echo sitting here......yep I also have sleepless nights...lol

Well, this morning's activities are not as rewarding so far.....took off the scoop, what a pain that was!  From the top......next will be the starter seeing as I can see it now...lol.  I also cleaned and repaired the old intercooler but will keep it in a bag ready if anyone needs one or one of mine gets rubbed again which I highly doubt after trimming scoops! 
I was thinking also, why can't I simply weld up the exhaust tube with the water jacket instead of blocking it off.....easier..?  Also rerouting that water hose to simply go straight to the thermostat housing, that should lighten vehicle by 2 lbs...lol

The lawn is calling now, so Smart will have to wait.....I hate stopping when on a roll......

Edited by Willys

On 4/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, TheHandyHobbit said:

Smart has been parked in my driveway for quite a while. Always starting her and buzzing back and forth in the driveway to keep things moving. Well..........last week, she wouldn't move. Rear Brakes locked up and would not "pop" loose with forward and reverse on the gas. Uncle Glenn came to the rescue yesterday with the "Land Cruiser". with me in the Smart and Glenn finessing A tow strap between the 2 didn't help. So Glenn jumped on the juice and dragged her about 20 feet up my driveway with the rears skidding the entire way. A very gentle shift into reverse popped them loose. Definitely a bonus to live only 5 minutes away from the "Smart Whisperer's" Den.      

UPDATE: "Sally" hitched a free ride to Uncle Glenn's on the weekend to get her brakes fixed up along with any other nastiness that he might find.

Sally-Resize.jpg

I've got a snotty head cold.  This, combined with heavy rain forecast for tomorrow and Thursday, means I won't be cycling in to work. I'd like to, but Mrs Chopper would kill me if I tried it.

So I'll have to take the Fortwo.  Lights and levels checked, battery put on charge, Cadillac 3 CD slipped into the head unit.

Edited by Chopper

I feel your pain chopper, just had one and it just wouldnt shift.

1 person likes this

Well.....today the beater is going to earn it's keep so to speak.....3 hour drive down to Glenn's area for shop chat and then Tuesday dinner with the boys etc....then a 3 hour drive back......I do have my trusty CAA card handy and an 8 lb sledge hammer in the garage for when it slides off the flatbed!

Oh.....did I mention I'll be loading an engine/tranny combo 2 exhausts and a rear tire and alternator into the back for the drive home......Hmmmmm.....?

OH and two 6 foot plus guys in the front.......lmfao...!

The bets are on.....what are the odds....?

That mean making room for a winter parka.....sorry no room...lol

Buy a parts car off Glenn to put the parts in and I’ll drive it home.  Going to workout see you in an hour and a half.

Did an oil change and new filter on my 05.

Replaced the alt. belt as the old one was pretty bad looking.

Also installed a new key to keep it wound tight.

SAM_0653a.jpg

SAM_0654a.jpg

2 people like this

Put insurance on RedPxl and pulled it out from storage. Did an oil change. Ran like a champ!

2 people like this

Ironic! I bought a new-to-me 2008 pure coupe yesterday. Today I gave it a basic detailing - it was pretty dirty, but it came out looking very clean. The interior will just need shampoo on the seats to look spot on. I fitted a missing wheel cover (had 8 spares lying around...) And tonight, did a Mobil 1 0w40 oil change. I also picked up an extra quart of MT-90 Redline 75w90 GL4 - I now have three bottles which should be enough to change out the transmission fluid I think.

Yesterday, I carried on with the tidying up of the 451... changed out the transmission fluid. Here's a few pics of that. I had a few hundred ml left of a slightly different weight Redline GL4 spec fluid which I ran through as a flush... then put in a bit over 2 1.2 quarts of the Redline GL4 75w90 spec fluid. (Which BTW, if you go to their website, it lists Castrol BOT 328 as one of the oils it is compatible with. The otherwise unobtainable special 'lifetime' oil that MB factory filled the 451 gear box with.) Took the car out for a spin to Langley and dropped by the MB dealer to pick up a couple oil filters and drain plug gaskets for the next changes. Not cheap, LOL. (But they had complimentary snaks and drinks, so I had lunch!) I may run the part #'s through the Mitsubishi service dept next time I am in there to get some Outlander stuff. 

IMG_20190510_121619558.jpg

IMG_20190510_121625568.jpg

IMG_20190510_121646394.jpg

IMG_20190511_125710427.jpg

IMG_20190511_125736983.jpg

One of the next things I plan to do, is get the hazard light removed, but I will need to either replace the top part of the hatch altogether, or, be prepared to do somethings else to cover up the holes, etc....

The switch was located in the boot - made the wiring easier I suppose.

Maybe I should see if I can change out the light for spinning 'winding key' like the car a few posts back of this one!! LOL (If there was such a thing, I would probably do it!!)

That, or a spinning helicopter blade and a vanity plate that says 'GADGET'.  

IMG_20190511_131223540.jpg

IMG_20190511_131242476.jpg

As a side note, when I parked at home this afternoon, I got a P0900 code. First issue of any (potential) significance. It could be a fluke, or it could point to potential clutch actuator or wiring issue. Was able to clea the code with one of my scamgauges of course, and the car starts and drives fine. I'm going with fluke for now, but servicing the clutch actuator and doing a relearn are on my list. Hope to service the actuator in the next week or so, and then maybe in June when stickman007 comes through town, a relearn can be done. Car is driving remarkably fine especially after a few good Italian tuning runs and the fluid changes. Going to make a list of other items to check and refresh, probably plugs would be a good idea and that kind of thing. I have little experience with the 451 - the first gas car was not kept past 50,000 kms. I might remove the resonator box like I did on the previous car and put in a hose from the guy in the UK. HP increases a little bit from my experience, and the car sounds slightly meaner. LOL.

Hmmm....who needs the orange flashing light on the roof...?   We get the mailmen having them around here......just curious.....?   Maybe swap out the lense for a green one and get through traffic faster,  firemen who are part time have them on their vehicles to get to the firehouse faster, or maybe a blue one for the winter months.....or a red one for well the obvious....lol

All kidding aside, it is against highway regulations for me to even use that light ever. I like the novelty of it, but I should plan for it's removal, or replacement to something even more novel - just NOT another light, or a 'disco ball tribute to Donna Summer', Dave!!! LOL

PS - the car was owned privately and came from Vancouver Island, but when the lady who had it was done with it, her boyfriend bought it for his company - he was a land surveyor and/or pilot car for permitted loads on occasion. It was a bit of use in that regard, although not enough for him to keep it as it turns out, which is why I ended up with it for the pittance of $1000. Has nearly new tires and new exhaust. 130k. Not beat up, just needs a refresh.

1 person likes this