Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,919 posts in this topic

Annnnnd P087 again another plugged filter on the Brabus, having no bloody luck. Put the inspection camera in and there's allot of crud at the bottom of the tank (3 filters in a month, MANN, Car Quest, NAPA). Time to pull the tank and clean the tank fully out because this is complete bull

Finally got my order from smart-parts-direct with a few odds and ends. Replaced the bolts that go at the front edge of the rear wheel arches that were totally stripped when I got my new muffler. They are in fact T25s, which is interesting, since I've been using a T27 bit on them the last few times. They were obviously much more stripped than I realized.

Annnnnd P087 again another plugged filter on the Brabus, having no bloody luck. Put the inspection camera in and there's allot of crud at the bottom of the tank (3 filters in a month, MANN, Car Quest, NAPA). Time to pull the tank and clean the tank fully out because this is complete bull

Is the filler neck on the smart made of steel? If so, yours could be corroded and therefore letting the crap in

Edit: I just did a search, it is steel , so I would definitely look at this possibility

Edited by turbomar

Is the filler neck on the smart made of steel? If so, yours could be corroded and therefore letting the crap inEdit: I just did a search, it is steel , so I would definitely look at this possibility

Could very well be kinda was in the zone to see whats in the tank and didn't look at the neck with the camera. I'll check it out when I pull it. Worst case use my one I allready have pulled from the parts car. Thanks for reviewing , much appreciated :) Edited by dmoonen

Finally got my order from smart-parts-direct with a few odds and ends. Replaced the bolts that go at the front edge of the rear wheel arches that were totally stripped when I got my new muffler. They are in fact T25s, which is interesting, since I've been using a T27 bit on them the last few times. They were obviously much more stripped than I realized.

And use lots of antisieze on the new assembly, my bolts in that location were fused to the metal sleeves/bushings that lined the holes in that mounting point.....probably the most arduous job on my smart to date!

Oh yeah, lots of antiseize was applied to the new ones, believe me. All the other bolts got some antiseize too when I had the back end off.

I installed the smart wiper arm sprayer today. It was a bit of a custom installation due to some "modifications" to the pass through I had done while attempting to install a generic wiper arm sprayer from CT. Works way better than the original sprayer though!I'll be putting on the summer wheels tomorrow, as the snow is melting rapidly now (And I don't want to be driving down to warm, warm, Ohio next weekend on winter tires!)

I have opted to leave the winter tires on for the Ohio run. A few years ago it snowed on the return trip from that event. I can wait until the end of April to make the change. Sprucing up old Bruised for the trip including checking all fluid levels.

Lowered the fuel tank and removed the LP fuel pump, removed all the fuel from the tank and cleaned it throughly. Installed a cheap clear fuel filter at the end of the hose and filled up the tank with a couple liters of fresh fuel and turned on the pump via star to clear out the rest of the crap that was in the lines. New fuel filter is in, clean up and finish up tomorrow.FYI the fuel tank is make of plastic, no metals so the debris were caused by filling or occumaltion over time. I'm not sure if anyone ever tried this product but it's called mr.funnel it's actually pretty amazing separates water and debris from the fuel. I thought it was one of those products with a too good to be true advertising schemes but it actually works very well, if you poor water into the funnel not a drop will pass its kinda crazy.

Edited by dmoonen

March Break trip back from Edmonton...Terrible roads with snow storm from Edmonton to Jasper (I had summer tires on) - held up traffic going 80km top SORRY!While in Edmonton, the roads were so bad that my airbag light is on againThe front passenger wheel bearing started to growl excessively towards the end of my tripOverall a terrible trip...to make things worst (final kick in the pants). Came home to a letter from the government of some finance department claiming that I have 30 days to prove why I paid so little on the smart coupe. Those bureaucrats didn't even bother to read my original paper notarized claiming that the engine was seized and the coupe had alignment issues!! Not surpassingly, my letter doesn't count as evidence that the car needed repair. So I might have to fork up $500 for extra taxes according to their estimate of the car's worth.

Just mail them your siezed engine. You have a bunch of photos from the change over anyways so I wouldnt be too worried. If you didnt have proof then you'd be SOl but you have plenty.

Edited by dmoonen

Posted Image

I put the battery back in mine, chipped it out of the ice, pumped up the tires and drove 400 km for dinner with friends!

So happy to be back on the road. Love this time of year.

-Iain

Excellent! How many km are on the car now?

Decided to order a bunch of goodies for the Brabus in preparation for summer:

[*]R1 Rotors

[*]EBC Green Stuff pads

[*]OEM rear shoe + assembly

[*]2 front new callipers

[*]Front and rear stabilizer bar links from Raybestos

[*]Raybestos rear drums

[*]Raybestos Ball joints

[*]Dorman wheel cylinders for rear drums

[*]New front and rear bearings

[*]Interior Fram cabin air filter

[*]New Remy alternator

[*]New belts from Gates

[*]New Raybestos control arms

[*]Break bleeder check valves

[*]New OEM oil pan

[*]New thermostat

[*]New axel seals

[*]New CV boots

I don't even want to see what I paid. . at least it shouldn't give me head aches when the warm weather arrives :watchout:

Now the waiting game beings for the parts to arrive and then the installation :)

Edited by dmoonen

Turned the key to start Silverwing for the first time in 5 months NOTHING!! I figured it was the original battery so it was probably 'done'. Hooked up a charger just for the heck of it ... 3 hours later, tried again ... 3 bars of death :oLet it charge for 12 hours (overnight) and tried again. SUCCESS !! No 3 bars, no codes ... just started and ran like it should. Discovered that the interior lights had been accidentally switched on and that drained the battery. :dunno: Turned off the interior lights and let it finish charging. Working good now :DAlso turned 175,000 kms last week on 'Bruised'.

At last ! - My '02 Coupe has paddle shifters. Long time ago

I bought spare part # 001 3060 V001, a electronic device

marked smart BRABUS and a pair of 451 paddles from

ebay.de. On the old twospook steering wheel I made some

modifications and attached the paddles, changed the resistors

and soldered the cables together. VOILA ! It works like a charm.

Monday 31 mars was the first proudly trayout.

Yours truly, KfL :-)

@ KfL: I am so envious! That is the one thing I miss about my '05 Pulse when summer rolls around and I am using the '06 Passion Cabrio ... no paddles.

A smart without paddles is like a business suit without a shirt.

Lowered the fuel tank and removed the LP fuel pump, removed all the fuel from the tank and cleaned it throughly. Installed a cheap clear fuel filter at the end of the hose and filled up the tank with a couple liters of fresh fuel and turned on the pump via star to clear out the rest of the crap that was in the lines. New fuel filter is in, clean up and finish up tomorrow.FYI the fuel tank is make of plastic, no metals so the debris were caused by filling or occumaltion over time. I'm not sure if anyone ever tried this product but it's called mr.funnel it's actually pretty amazing separates water and debris from the fuel. I thought it was one of those products with a too good to be true advertising schemes but it actually works very well, if you poor water into the funnel not a drop will pass its kinda crazy.

I have one it works! The screen is really fine mesh Fuel has a lower viscocity than water,or fuel has a smaller mulecular structure than water so the fuel will go through but not water.

I have one it works! The screen is really fine mesh Fuel has a lower viscocity than water,or fuel has a smaller mulecular structure than water so the fuel will go through but not water.

Apparently it also has a Teflon coating the respells water so it cant enter. Regardless its pretty cool but I do wish it had a flexible spout.

Operated on my tach today. The light burnt out, so I got it replaced.

post-35-1396480324_thumb.jpg

After dealing the aging nightmares on the smarts for the past month (in reality since 2010 who am I kidding) I decided to turn back the clock and do some preventive work on the Brabus since its been floating for the past couple days in the air and why the heck not.

[*]Removed the cross frame, cleaned, ground down any rust and repainted

[*]Removed the large steel cross just in-front of the power pack and cleaned it, ground any rust and painted it

[*]Any loose hoses and wires=ziptied

[*]Any visible rust underneath was ground down and painted

[*]Found a couple studs were cracked off so I tack welded a new studs in place, mainly the one for the cooler, wheel well and one that held a clip for a wiring loom. Also tack welded one for the new horn mount.

[*]Found some signs of rubbing on the AC line dead under the drivers seat, mount is good but I installed a piece of break hose to protect it from future chafing.

[*]Wire wheeled all the bolts and repainted them, will apply anti seize on reassembly when the paint is cured

[*]Cleaned and waxed (yes wax) my Brabus struts and springs

[*]Polished the Brabus Exhaust

[*]Cleaned out and inspected the rear drums also applied some break lube on the contact points, all good and piston works as it should (Everything will be replaced once orders in regardless)

[*]Inspected all the bushings, all good and also applied silicone grease (Everything will be replaced once orders in regardless)

[*]Inspected all the ball joints for play, all good (Everything will be replaced once orders in regardless)

[*]Cleaned out all the drains from debris (actually surprised on how much there was since I cleaned it out last fall)

[*] Put a couple SS pop rivets in the inercooler scoop again to tighten things up

[*]Checked out the wiring by the intercooler scoop for signs of chafing, none. Installed some more zip ties to keep things snug

[*]Completely removed the clutch actuator cleaned it all up, lubed it (silicone), wire wheeled the rod and bolts and greased the end of of the rod. Also no signs of wear on the plate nor punching through.

Oh yeah decided to install a secondary 135db Fiamm horn, mounted it and brought the wires inside but its not connected yet. Thinking of having stock on the left ride of the wheel and install the new horn button on the right side of the wheel. Basicly how evilution made his up and down shift mod.

Anywho off to bed. .

Edited by dmoonen