Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,907 posts in this topic

Not my smart but at work one came in for an oil change, my first on a 451. Pretty simple and straight forward, the car was poorly looked after which made me sad though. 10,000km overdue for service and barely a litre of oil dribbled out, leaky seals and worn out brakes were among my notes.Also yesterday I washed and "spray waxed" my smart...winter was rough and I can't wait to get the polisher out and going on it.

Edited by Bessy

This is getting on my nerves quite a bit, this if what I pulled from the fuel filter on the coupe. I'm going to murder what ever gas station is causing this hell! And oh yeah had a p087 code on the Brabus again so I'm assume it's another plugged filter. Five fuel filters in a month.Time to buy my own tanks post-12052-1396577110_thumb.jpgpost-12052-1396577124_thumb.jpg

Got my 451 back from Victoria Star motors. Valve check done and new plugs installed. Should be good for 80k-100k more km, on the engine anyways. Strong tail wind and new plugs, driving from Kitchener to Seaforth on level roads the Ultragauge was showing FE in the low to mid 4's. 1C outside.

I love coming home to car parts it's like Christmas, now for the rest of my goodies to arrive :rolleyes:post-12052-1396662113_thumb.jpgTo the shop!

I know the feeling Dillen, my plan this week is to install the rest of the parts I got from you ( and the stabilizer link from rock auto) as well as remove the exhaust to finally see if that is what is causing my rattle. Hopefully all will be done this week and I can drive the car for the first time since November. It is still starting right up at least.

Geez guys, I am glad that neither of my smarts have been so needy! I don't mind tinkering with cars, rebuilding engines and such.... but definitely not on daily drivers! At least not since I was a poor student.

I changed the ABS rear rings.

The left one was broke. The right one was only full of dirt...

I hope this will help for my Cruise Control problem.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by David_18

Can't really say that mine has been needy ( though moreso than yours Mike) it has only needed a few bigger things, the front springs, front struts ( And that was my fault, as is the stabilizer link) one wheel bearing, and the alternator to date, and that is with about 190,000 km so far, the parts I am going to put on are the reluctor rings, a new used intercooler ( my old one may still be okay, but want to be sure) , and just a couple of missing plastic pieces. I am going to put on the new rear springs and shocks I got from Dillen as well ( technically slightly used) but they aren't required, but since I got them why not. Besides that the exhaust rusted out the bottom seam, and despite my fix, it may have wound up having the cat separate ( or not, won't know until I take it off for sure) resulting in a rattle when at idle. While I don't think the list is good, it is nowhere near as bad as some of the smarts out there, and at least most of the items are wear items, so not too hard to accept.

My green car was going to get the white car's stock suspension at about 275,000 km if it hadn't been written off. The suspension bushings were squeaking too (I bought new A-arms for it, still hanging in the garage!), but overall it wasn't too bad. I guess despite the salty brine that is sprayed on the roads around here in winter, it is a lot easier on cars out here than the real winter you get in the east.

Holy, listen to that turbo whistle! It's been a while, are all the cdi's supposed to sound like that? I wonder if mine still turns. :)-Iain

Holy, listen to that turbo whistle! It's been a while, are all the cdi's supposed to sound like that? I wonder if mine still turns. :)-Iain

It should sound like this with the muffler assy. Off

I never really heard the turbo whistle at all until the muffler/downpipe started to go. The muffler's completely off now, and it sounds hilarious. Kind of like a little tractor with a head cold. It sounds awesome, especially when i downshift and the throttle blips. But it's LOUD, and i am getting a lot of funny looks everywhere i go.Looking forward to getting a new muffler on there to restore some of my sanity. :lol: Edited by darren

Today's chore: 140,000 km oil and filter change. And the "check engine" lamp went off by itself after having changed the secondary air changeover solenoid valve a few days ago. (Scangauge wouldn't clear it)

Uh-oh, into no-warranty land, boldly!

P087 again after all that work on the Brabus. . . going nuts with this code. New regulator, Injectors and HP fuel pump on route, time to get this bugger sorted out :devil: If this doesnt do it time to swap the power pack with my 51,000km rebuilt engine ready to go :rolleyes:

But anyways what I did tonight besides the anger:

[*]Raybestos rear drums Installed

[*]Rear break shoes along with assembly (Beck and Arnley Premium)

[*]Dorman wheel cylinders for rear drums (both sides replaced)

[*]Rear stabilizer bar links from Raybestos Installed

Made a deal with my grandfather that owns a clothing manufacturing company it seems I'm getting my interior redone in black leather.

Polished up the BRABUS dual exhaust tips, because there was some soot adhering in a very persistant way. Looking good again!

Tried to move my smart out of the garage, it is starting fine, but is not shifting into reverse or first, it did sort of go into reverse for about half the length of the driveway, but then I stopped shifted to first and no go after that, it is trying to shift ( can feel it trying to grab, but it isn't getting there, I lubed the actuator, it is working smoothly so not sure it is clutch related or transmission related. If I leave it trying to get I to hear I get the three bars. On the bright side the rattle seems to be gone at this time, it was there a little when I started the car but is now gone, now the question is are hue two related, since the car would shift with the rattle, but now it is gone no shifting... Hmmmm any thoughts on that one? I have decided I need to get axle seals before I start the work on the car ( not positive it is transmission fluid on the back, but I think it may be and since I will be removing the a les anyway it will replace the seals as well, would low transmission fluid cause a no shift condition if that is the case?) so will wait until next weekend to try and get some of it done, still want to get the car back on the road ( it has been sitting in the garage since November). And then need to decide if I will use it enough to justify keeping two cars or not, I do know it prefers to be driven a lot, and so far I am not doing all that much driving since the new job.

Edited by scwmcan

Hey scwman change the seals and refill the fluid and see if that makes a difference. If not check the battery for proper voltage and check the ground straps. Also dont you have the ic out? Just unclip the wires in and around the ic scoop and check for chafing. If its been sitting for some time and a if a wire is chafed could very well be corrosion from sitting imo. Just have to check and diagnose :)If I was closer id stop in with the star and pull some data and try a teach in.

Edited by dmoonen

I have decided I need to get axle seals before I start the work on the car ( not positive it is transmission fluid on the back, but I think it may be and since I will be removing the a les anyway it will replace the seals as well, would low transmission fluid cause a no shift condition if that is the case?) so will wait until next weekend to try and get some of it done, still want to get the car back on the road ( it has been sitting in the garage since November). And then need to decide if I will use it enough to justify keeping two cars or not, I do know it prefers to be driven a lot, and so far I am not doing all that much driving since the new job.

Changing the transmission fluid is the first thing I would do, in fact I would try & do it every 2-3 years as a PM type of thing, it can affect the shifting as in my case when my car was under warranty & exhibiting weird shifting behaviour the stealership was throwing parts at it left & right then once out of warranty it was "too bad so sad" After a while in desperation I changed the fluid & Presto all was good & has been for years!

Replaced the regular backlight lamps in my speedometer today with a couple of 3 element led lamps I got online as one of the original lamps had burned out......Wow... so Nice & so White! Glad I got a couple of spares as the maplight switch uses the same bulb....again Wow! I originally pulled the maplight switch just to invert it so it would be off in the "down" position but the plug in the back impinges on a proper fit.....I'm sure someone on this forum did this successfully, any hints?

Thanks guys, the intercooler isn't out yet Dillen ( had a sore arm, and what work I did this week wound up being on the house). When I do take it out I will definately check for wire problems, and I am still on the original ground strap so that is a distinct possibility as well. I'll just have to get the seals and get new fluid In it and see what happens. The fluid is about two years old no so it was time to change it anyway, and like I said it may have been leaking so it is possible it is low as well. I know the car is trying to shift ( you can hear and feel it trying) so a messed up wire or fluid problem makes sense I hope, if it is more serious I'll just have to figure it out and fix it.