Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,924 posts in this topic

Bought a new Varta battery for the Canada 1 at smart Nanaimo. The 2008 battery - with the screw caps still (installed under warranty I presume, when the car was still being leased by Lambo dealer in Toronto and had maybe 200 km on it) was getting weak yesterday so it was time to retire it.

I keep getting reminded how fortunate you are to take it mostly on longer drives in more temperate conditions (without insane freeway traffic, either). Just did a conductance test on my six year old Deka Intimidator AGM battery and it's on its way out.

Short drives, snarled roadways, pavement that makes Cuban roads seem First-World, these poor little cars hardly stand a chance here in the east.

I bought a new set of BRABUS sills from Eddy today to cover the "what it" scenario of damage to mine in the future. Eventually I want a new front spoiler and grille for the same reason.

And I booked the Canada 1 into smart Nanaimo for the airbag light, coolant and brake fluid change and 5 year A/C top up next week.

This week I installed the engine from a written off smart into a smart that had a ''blown engine''.

It was very sweet to hear it turn over and start!!!! :dance:

It had sat for over a year waiting for some attention. Now I'll service the brakes, install reconditioned rear axles,get the door latches looked at, and then see what family member wants it!

1 person likes this

Snowball got a bit of a service at smart Nanaimo today:

• drivers side airbag wire permanently connected, error erased
  • brake fluid flush
  • coolant flush
  • belt retensioning (I wasn't able to do a good job when I changed them a few months ago, as I was in a hurry)
  • A/C check.

On the A/C check, here is the interesting (to me) data: the system was rebuilt under warranty in spring 2010, so close to 6 years on, the system still had 11 ounces of refrigerant. They managed to just about get 12 ounces back in, so assuming it was as full as it was back in 2010, it hardly lost any refrigerant over those 6 years. The car does have the "uprated" hoses for A/C.

The dealer didn't do the oil etc as I always take care of that stuff.

I have a cold-start screech from my alternator (or possibly the belt) when it's below freezing as I start out and electrical demands kick in. I changed the alternator for a reman and new belts in February or March, so I'm guessing I need to re-tension the belts. I'll probably squirt the windings with HHS2000 for good measure.

I have a cold-start screech from my alternator (or possibly the belt) when it's below freezing as I start out and electrical demands kick in. I changed the alternator for a reman and new belts in February or March, so I'm guessing I need to re-tension the belts. I'll probably squirt the windings with HHS2000 for good measure.

Check your alternator pulley. I am amazed how fast they wear out.

photo.JPG

Mine was in a similar state to the one in rhs of photo copied from this forum. Pulley material is aluminium and not up the the job.

Pulley was new 10 months and 17000 km ago. Do you think it's already knackered?

It ought to still be fine in that case. Mine is very well worn after 14 years of service. Considering fitting an over run pulley provided there is sufficient clearance.

Working on my old school sound system on mine, started to redesign centre counsel, removed drawer to allow for 1.5 DIN space. The lower tray needs to be cut out 3/4" and a little filing on the cross member and it looks all good. Then I will have Deck at the top ,CD player and twin parametric Equalizers below. Thanks to Glenn for having all the extra parts I needed before I started cut any thing in that area. Sorry no pictures, If you want to see email me and I well send them to you.

1 person likes this

Not on my smart but, replaced a pair of parking brake cables on a 450 yesterday. First time doing the job and it went smoothly, the hoist and air tools helped.

Add that to the menu of repairs I'm available for.

Not on my smart but, replaced a pair of parking brake cables on a 450 yesterday. First time doing the job and it went smoothly, the hoist and air tools helped.

Add that to the menu of repairs I'm available for.

A bit of a struggle releasing inboard end of cable outers in my humble opinion, especially if you wish to get them off in one piece.

HandbrakeCableCatch.jpg

DSC03536.jpg

Smart450HandBrakeCableReleaseTool.jpg

DSC03539.jpg

Tool is made from short piece of pipe and round bar. Pipe bore 10.5 mm. Pipe length 13 mm. Pipe wall thickness 1.5 mm. Tool overall length 265 mm. Round bar diameter 6 mm. Square handle size from centre line to centre line of round bar 52 x 57 mm. Dimension of L shaped part of round bar from square handle to outer circumference of pipe 200 x 18 mm. Painted in good release tool enamel.

Not sure why it would be necessary to get them off in one piece, don't see any reason to remove them other than replacement. The wheel end of the cable was a bugger trying to detach and attach the cable end from the brake shoe, but I managed without disassembling anything more than removing the drum.

Niffty lookin tool ya built though...

One can replace inner wire rope if outer is still serviceable or remove cables to apply lubrication.

Six years ago I repaired both hand brake cables on my Renault Kangoo Trekka:

Similar problem to the Smart 450 releasing cable outers at both ends.

ReleaseToolX.jpg

Luckily, 15 mm outside diameter PEX waterpipe was just right size to release the catches as seen in above photo.

Material costs for repairing the two hand brake cables:
Stainless steel cable GBP 3.00
Bronze end fittings GBP 0.40
Silver brazing GBP 1.00
Gas GBP 0.50
Teflon grease GBP 1.00
Total GBP 5.90

4 hours labor including research and fiddling around GBP 30

+ Parts and 2-3 hours labor to build the release tool GBP 25

So about $90 CAD half the price of a pair of new ones that require 40 mins to re & re

New hand brake cables for the Renault Trekka were extortionately expensive and had also several months lead time, therefore repair was the only option at the time.

For my Smart 450, I managed to source two pairs of brand new hand brake cables for free.

I drove a resuscitated 06 cdi from London to Fort Myers Florida. Took 2 days.

And get this, cost of fuel was us$64 - total. Price per us gallon varied from $1.65 - $2.40

An awesome drive - dry roads till we got to Florida. Able to cruise at 120km/hr the majority of the time, but had to slow when we encountered some heavy rain the last day.

I still love the seats - I find them very comfortable!

Now enjoying the sunny weather here!

2 people like this

Is anyone with a STAR machine going to be in the GTA someday next week ?

If not I'll take it up to Lee's

I am planning on attending the Autoshow on the 14th if you are still needing this done then.

Edited by Huronlad

I worked on the putting cd player, blue tooth receiver, green cold cathode lights and the first equalizer today. Man there is going to be a lot of wires when I'm finish.

Just did a 700km round trip London to Midland area, up on Wednesday and back Friday.

Lousy mileage due to massive head/cross winds and being stuck on a closed Hwy 401 for 2 hours.

Normally a 3 hour trip, it took 6+ hours to get there.

Car started OK Thursday morning @ -22C, wind chill overnight hit -40C.

This morning it was only -15C, so I wasn't worried (ha ha).

No real need for a block heater at home, as car is always garage-parked.

However..... I might consider getting one and/or a battery blanket for safety sake.

Preferences, recommendations, comments?? Oil pan pad, dip stick hearer, in-line heaters, battery warmer, etc.

Forecast lows tonight and tomorrow in Midland are -28C, with wind chills -42C.

Glad I'm back in London. I just beat the next round of snow squalls everywhere.

Winter sucks !!!

143k km on the 451, the display was demanding fresh oil, so that is out of the way for another 15k km. Off to TO and the Auto Show tomorrow if the roads are open.