Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,819 posts in this topic

In today's sloppy weather ... I did a 360 degree spin in my own lane on highway 9 west of Newmarket and lightly tagged the guardrail with the rear bumper just before the spinning stopped. Ended up facing more or less forward so I hit the gas and kept right on going without stopping. At the moment, I'm stuck in the parking lot of a favorite coffee shop until some of this crap melts. No visible damage from the guardrail tag. I'm sure there will be some scratches visible once it's cleaned up and dried, but I ain't gonna worry about it. No harm no foul.

Edited by GoFaster

In today's sloppy weather ... I did a 360 degree spin in my own lane on highway 9 west of Newmarket and lightly tagged the guardrail with the rear bumper just before the spinning stopped. Ended up facing more or less forward so I hit the gas and kept right on going without stopping. At the moment, I'm stuck in the parking lot of a favorite coffee shop until some of this crap melts. No visible damage from the guardrail tag. I'm sure there will be some scratches visible once it's cleaned up and dried, but I ain't gonna worry about it. No harm no foul.

I think you need a set of Toyo GSi-5 tires!

Here's a great deal on kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1139001069

I have them on my car and its like having 4 wheel drive! Amazing control!!!

Edited by Rashutti

I guess GoSlower should have been the motto for the day. Today's forecast isn't positive either.

I guess GoSlower should have been the motto for the day.

:hilarious:

Edited by dmoonen

I watched a big black pick-up spin out in front of me yesterday on the 401. It's a wonder no one creamed her: traffic was fairly heavy and we were all moving at 100km/hr+

Maybe later I'll see if I can pull the footage off my dash cam.

Gave Sally a winter makeover; changed her pale skin to metallic Grey.

attachicon.gifSally1.jpgattachicon.gifSally2.jpg

I like the white look! Has that "Regal sexy" look if you know what I mean.

Definitely know what you mean. I'm taking heat from people saying she doesn't look like a "Sally" anymore. I simply tell them that she is going through a phase and that this is her "Goth" look.

So it turns out that the only damage from my 360 spin cycle was a broken bracket for the rear valance. $24 for a new one, I picked it up today and put it back together. There were some scuff marks on the bumper cover ... sanded, wet-sanded, went after it with the buffer, good enough.

On the way home after the post I made earlier from a coffee shop, I saw a Subaru WRX being pulled out of the ditch with lots of damage, Judging from the panel gaps at the trunk lid, I think the shell was bent. Probably a writeoff. 4 wheel drive won't fix all winter-driving problems.

The car is in my garage and it is staying there tomorrow. The van has better tires on it ... and it's already at the end of the driveway ready to go tomorrow.

1 person likes this

Took advantage of the nice weather we had today to (finally!) do the maintenance job for my passenger's side door handle. The bugger stuck on me a couple of time over the winter, and I even had to use a hairdryer to release that pesky latch cable.

After quite a rough startup, I moved that sleeping beauty in my driveway, let the engine run for a few minutes, then parked her back to my garage until our next ride, when the roads become a bit more dry. Thawing snow plus road salt are making things quite messy at the moment.

post-6508-0-97293000-1457317443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Da Shoumi

So... I got the transmission off the car. Now I am faced with this. Does anyone know how to remove the clutch pack? It looks different than in the tutorials/videos.

12799012_10153867213072254_5152701810963

Oh, and I tried pulling the outside piece and prying it out but it only moved a little. Something seems to be holding on the whole thing from the back.

Edited by minifreak

I have watched videos and read instructions. And waited months to actually get to doing the work. But this is completely different than what I have seen to date.

On the 450 Cdi, clutch and flywheel is a factory preassembled unit which is replaced as one. It is held on to crankshaft spider with four M10x1.5 hex bolts. Access to unscrew these bolts is through a hole at bottom of bell housing. Remove rubber plug first.

Special tool required to unscrew the bolts or you remove sump. Bolts measure 17 mm between flats.

Thank you for the information. I found the last bolt. I have been following the wrong instructions apparently.

Edited by minifreak

Main difference I am seeing is the extra rim around the clutch pack. Not sure how to remove that.

Do you have new clutch assembly in your possession?

Petrol 450 flywheel is held on with only 3 bolts. Four on the diesel. Different clutch flywheel assemblies.

@ minifreak. Why do you change your clutch? I recall having seen no report of any 450 Cdi clutch failures, however some have been changed unnecessarily as result of faulty diagnosis.

After 10 years, the clutch is starting to slip, and that is the only reason. There are times where I get stuck after coming to a stop on a incline and I have already adjusted the actuator.