Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,023 posts in this topic

I looked at mine today, safely stowed in the underground space again.... ready soon for another early interval oil change. It will see not too much action now that I have bought a brand new Mazda CX-5 with a 6 speed manual..... I'll probably de-plate it soonish if no buyer comes forth, and let it sit out for the entire fall/winter with just the usual warm ups and drives underground. It's still a pretty neat car!

1 person likes this

Had the Canada1 into Glenn's today with an air bad dash light.

Code check showed passenger-side problem.

He cleaned and sprayed contacts on the plug under the seat (typical cause) rather than eliminating the plug.

I figured with only 23,500 km, the plug shouldn't be loose, rusted or full of shmush.

It also keeps originality in tact.

Hit every bump I could over the next 50 km, with no problem.

I think Glenn said something about a lifetime warranty ;). :)

1 person likes this

Changed the alternator in my 451 wasn't charging anymore. now it's happy again! I could have repaired the old one but it was under warranty, so that made me feel better.

"Sally's" Steering went wonky the end of last week. She was like steering a bulldozer with a boat rudder. Kudos to Uncle Glenn for accommodating us on his first day back from vacation. The culprit was the steering damper. Had it replaced and on my way in no time. Thanks again Glenn. Now it's the count-down to the Lambeth Harvest Parade on Saturday

Took advantage of the 30+ degrees C and when for a top-down casual drive to the Brantford airport where the airshow was held last Wednesday.  Taking the back roads this time, it was much more relaxing.

Smart in Brantford.jpg

Oil change for the 451 with much appreciated help from Mike T.  Also sorted out a front end noise, mounting bolt had come loose on the passenger caliper.  A little over 170k km.

1 person likes this

Took the muffler to a welder and had the bottom seam trimmed off and then welded.  Now it is so quiet I hear a noise in the front end.

Nigel

Finished installing all the wiring for the heated seats and air conditioning in my 05 and it all works. yippie!

I decided to fix the negative camber on my 2006 GRANSTYLE. It took me 4 hrs to remove the axel cut, weld and paint the repair.Now it sits vertical! I can't stand that 2 to 3 degree  pitch. It made the car look like it had passengers weighing 800lbs each! I'll post my photos of the process if anyone is interested.

20160921_165414.jpg

Ya! that is how I got the car.. Weird tread design. 

Just finished and here she is just as new!

20160923_214948.jpg

Well, it had to happen sooner or later, I suppose.  Smart car vs nature.  Smart 1 - nature 0.

I started out with nothing in mind but a nice quiet drive in the sun with the top down to Port Burwell for lunch.  Uneventful.  On the return trip was considerably different. 

North-bound on highway 73 about 10 minutes south of Aylmer, a deer decided it would be fun to try and outrun the smart, then cut across in front and scare the bejeezus out of me.  He was successful with scaring me, but his game of "chicken" with a smart didn't end well for him.  Since I was paying attention to the road and not the field to the right of me, I didn't see it unfolding until there was a young male deer tripping in the ditch to my immediate right side.  He proceeded to slide onto the gravel then onto the pavement. CRUNCH!!  I did take evasive action, but not quick enough.  The deer is dead but the smart will live with plastic damage to the right front.  Alignment does not seem to have been affected.

Smart vs deer 01.jpg

Smart vs deer 02.jpg

Smart vs deer 03.jpg

Smart vs deer 04 about to trip.jpg

Smart vs deer 05.jpg

Smart vs deer 06.jpg

Smart vs deer 07.jpg

Smart vs deer 08.jpg

Ouch...I don't think that will buff out. However the good news is you won and are ok. It could have been a lot worse if the deer had struck the windshield.

Next question is what is one required to do when this happens? Who will come and tend to the animal?

In Ontario, the driver is required (so I am told) to contact the police, in this case, the O.P.P.  They arrive and take insurance, drivers license and ownership information so the incident can be legally reported to the insurance companies.   Between the time of the incident and the time the officer arrived, I had several good Samaritans ask about #1, my condition, #2 the cars condition and #3, what to do with the deer.  The officer informed me that she patrolled the highway in that area a lot and if the carcass was still there after about an hour, she would call local highway maintenance services to remove it.  She said that in the meantime, if someone comes along and wants it, they can have it.  After everyone had gone, I was about to pull into traffic and a guy came up with a big white pickup.  He asked the usual questions finishing with "what about the deer".  I told him it was his if he wanted it.  He took it.

A side note ..... The deer was still alive when I stopped, but had expired by the time the officer had arrived.  Bambi was a young male with 30 cm. (12") antlers.

Ouch.  And the video says it was 2012!

9 hours ago, Mike T said:

Ouch.  And the video says it was 2012!

I never noticed that before.  It also says Feb. 7th.  Thanks Mike.  I will have to adjust that in the morning.   

1 person likes this

One year old snows taken off rusty steel rims and mounted on original 450 Passion rims, ready for seasonal swap.

Soon there'll be 4 x steel rims, 4 X full hub caps, full set of summer Conties, 2 X front snows and a four tire dolly for sale.

Treated my Cabrio to brand new brake pads.  Last set lasted five years.  The replacement was prompted by the audible wear limit alarm making a heck of a noise.  Paid £4.95 for the new set of pads.  They came all the way from China.

Edited by tolsen

Pattern parts?  I hope not, the materials are usually crap.

5 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Pattern parts?  I hope not, the materials are usually crap.

ABTex pads, same as those that came off and lasted five years.  These are high quality Chinese pads.  Hardly any dust and superb brake performance.

That's good.  I know some Chinese companies were selling oil filters that probably were useless at filtering, despite looking the same.

3 hours ago, tolsen said:

ABTex pads, same as those that came off and lasted five years.  These are high quality Chinese pads.  Hardly any dust and superb brake performance.

Would you mind sharing with us a link to the seller?

It would be nice to have inexpensive non MB pads that shed very little brake dust with superb brake performance!

Thank you

Edited by GRP151

31 minutes ago, tolsen said:

No longer available.  

No longer available? That was fast!

You just posted this 6 hrs ago and in that time you test drove the vehicle, made the claim they are amazing, no dust and sorry no longer available?

Hmmm,<_<

Well how about sending the link anyways?

Maybe they will relist the sale again?