Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,982 posts in this topic

Nice job Brit.How did you attache the mesh to the grill?When I did this ages ago I cheated and used wood screws. They are now rusted and so don't show unless you look closely Lol

I brought CHOCULA in yesterday for winter tires and rims. There was a foul-up with my loner, so they put me in a C300. Sweet.

post-5263-1288392518_thumb.jpg

post-5263-1288392535_thumb.jpg

post-5263-1288392550_thumb.jpg

post-5263-1288392569_thumb.jpg

post-5263-1288392585_thumb.jpg

I brought CHOCULA in yesterday for winter tires and rims. There was a foul-up with my loner, so they put me in a C300. Sweet.

Charlotte went in for a B service and winter prep today. New winter shoes next week, and then bring on the snow!! :D

I switched my panels back to the Stream Greens in preparation for the winter. You can see the front of the Scratch Blacks in the background of the finished picture.

post-4936-1288396250_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1288396258_thumb.jpg

I cleaned up an unholy oil mess in the engine compartment of the green 2005 car. I added 0.2 L of oil two nights ago after 8000 km and failed to secure the rearward part of the oil cap properly.....well the result was 0.1 or 0.2 L all over the engine, spots on the Kamm tail and a small pool under the car this AM. So I spent the day daubing up all the horrible spilt oil and washed everything really well.Then I installed the He-Man dual tone horn in the green car. After having had that horn in Snowball the white smart for a while, I could not live without it. It's theoretically easy but the space available to do it is limited, there is room for about 1/2 a hand to work in there.....so it took a while. And the connectors on the mini-harness that smart supplies with the kit didn't fit over the plastic shrounds of the female terminals on the car's harness so the shrouds had to be split with an X-Acto to allow them to connect electrically. The new horn sounds wonderful. The standard smart horn isn't even loud enough for a Shriner's clown car in a circus....I also changed its brake pedal rubber, which was wearing out after 172,000+ km.Then I washed the three cars that are licensed and on the road, vacuumed the green car (typically the interior is treated like a garbage can by my two older kids).Now, time to relax.

Brought mine in to to West Island today to have a long laundry list of items looked at, as the odometer now reads over 73000 Km.The preliminary report is that I indeed have a cracked reluctor ring, hence the ESP issues. Also likely to get new strut dampers up front -- I've been complaining about the reduced ride quality for about 50K now! No word yet on the source of the oil coating the bottom of the engine, and what they will do about my block heater (and the cable, which fell off again and dragged for a number of Km).

Made a vinyl 'bra' for my front grille to try and reduce the amount of cold air hitting the rads.(Painted the 'Gent' teeth on it as well - hope you don't mind Gent, I loved it so much!)I noticed that today even with the cover, my engine temp never exceeded two blobs.I take the 400 series highways to work and easily reach 110KPH for about 20minutes straight and it didn't matter.Is this normal? or do I have a frigged thermostat?

I've posted elsewhere there are a number of things you can do to make it warm up further. What you may have to remember is that blocking the grille(s) only affects the radiator up front; if the thermostat doesn't open to send coolant through it, blocking airflow won't really get the engine to warm up quicker. On the other hand, if you have a leaky thermostat as so many of us do, it is always sending coolant through the rad -- so blocking airflow should help!

What I do when I finally change over to winter tires (which I'm hoping will be at the QC-mandated December 15 limit) is block both upper and lower grilles using matte-black foamcore from Staples that I cut to fit. It's easy with an aftermarket grille like my RS Parts, or the BRABUS. For the OE grille, I used two lengths of dark gray foam pipe insulation (for 1/2" water pipes) from Home Depot, about 39¢ for three feet. Just cut to fit and stuff it in. To help the interior warm up quicker, remove the driver's side cowl intake then pull out the funnel below; it just pops out. Put it away for the winter. Cut another piece of foamcore to fit the grille of the intake and tape it on with duct tape or 100 mph tape (foil tape), and put the grille back in. This makes your heating system draw air from behind the nose panels -- where there may be some heat on the rad -- instead of directly from the outside, and it also keeps snow from going into the intake which cuts down on fogging the windows quite dramatically.

Finally, the best way to get your engine warm is to install TK Olsen's coolant restrictor plug.

Over the past month I've prepped Lilbit for winter:all glow plugs replacedantifreeze changedbrakes servicedfuel filter and oil changeddrivers door latch replacedtranny fluid changedclutch actuator lubedand yesterday the winter tires were mountedlet it snow :snow::D

@Sameguy-Thanks!I'll look into you suggestions this weekend when I get into some front-end work.I did read about TK Olsen's coolant restrictor plug but wasn't sure if it would helpin this case. I may have to consider one of these for next season.Vince

Nothing actually done but I now have the corner window film, the charging ipod connection, the mirror for the driver's side and the handle for the rear hatch. Guess I'll have to spend some time in the garage tomorrow.Ish.I installed the charging ipod cable. easy. Works well and the unit was charging. Mission accomplished. I put the film on the rear side windows. It looks great. I also put the driver's side visor mirror on. All that is left is the hatch handle which says it needs warmth and the side visors which are on their way!!

Edited by ishkabibble

Have done a few things lately:-Had windshield tinted with windshield approved tint (Llumar Air 80) Highly recommended!-installed new "Intermediate Season" tires, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-18's on stock Pulse alloys-installed new battery (OEM) with battery charger/maintainer hard wired in and plugged into outlet by battery-recieved S-Mann race exhaust (still have to have modified to fit a diesel) This is a BEAUTIFUL piece of work, it is a shame to get it dirty-recieved H&R Cup Kit suspension (will have to wait till spring)-recieved aftermarket seat heater kits for both seats-ordered a new set of glow plugs and thermostat (getting an intermittent start on only two cylinders)-disconnected EGR Valve, and working on removing it completely from the system.-sending winter steel wheels out to be powdercoated

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Fixed the burned out right tail light bulb that was causing my flasher to go crazy. Managed to break off a little corner of the tail light lens. That right rear assembly is nasty. Gue$$ I'll be ordering a new one. This is the first tail bulb to go and I was less than impressed with the sealing quality of the rear gaskets. I can't believe there wasn't a mass of corrosion in there.

Today I got a price for a set of four Hakka 5 studless tires. Ugh. PS: Ian -- I did the exact same thing on the right side last time I changed a bulb!! The left seems to pop off no problem but the right needs some force under the leading edge near the top, and last time it just gave way. The chunk was big enough with a clean enough break that I managed to glue it back on with contact cement.

Sean T drove Snowball up to Nanaimo in the monsoon this morning, man it was raining hard today! I get to drive my car tomorrow......Jenn T drove the green one to Victoria as usual, solo today because Sean had a day off from labs and lectures.In other words, nothing interesting was done to either smart today!

Worked on Gina the last 2 days! Decided to install the new engine rather than try to fix the old one on the car.With the help of my friend John, we got the old one out yesterday and the new one in today :spot: Still have to reconnect everything and install an intercooler and turbo.Went surprisingly well, but helps so much when you have all the right tools and equipment (hoist, drop down bolts, tranny jack, and chain fall) and someone who knows how to get things done (John).Took lots of pictures but my little camera malfunctioned at the end of the day :angry:

I'd like to hear what happened to the original Prime Mover. Let us know when you finish the autopsy.

I tried out a visor clip for my cell phone that I designed and printed out with my Makerbot CupCake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It works! But I need to sand it smooth, maybe paint it, and replace the rubber bands with something more attractive and robust.

Went to London Mercedes today and got a new door lock and brand new handle put on my passenger door, that was a nice bill but for safety of my passenger and myself it needed to be done :)Brit and Marty Car :D

Edited by Britsmart

Took HalfByte on a road trip to Cambridge to feed my other habit (hobby). Fountain Pens ;-)End of month it will be Kitchener.From Windsor to Cambridge all 401 great ride all 6.5 hours roundtrip, plus of course viewing and purchasing a couple items. Love Brick&Mortar stores.Was able to hold 95-110 km/hr for avg of 3.3l/100km (2006 CDi)