Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,023 posts in this topic

Ordered a full set of Vredestiens for the Canada 1 strike lines (thanks MikeT) from Fast Eddy.  Also have the fortwo decal and the anti aircirculation bulkhead coming from Europe (thanks Eddy).  Still searching for the brabus triangle stickers.   

I will need to ship the tires down to Palm springs where the Canada 1 sits with a flat tire and minor damage to one of the rear Brabus monoblocks.

It is quite hard to tell you have a flat in one of these cars,  This is the first flat in about 150,000 km's of smarts 80,000 on Henry and 30,000 on the Canada 1.

I hit something on the freeway and by the time I got stopped the tire had side wall damage so I drove very slowly down to date palm to exit the freeway about a quarter mile and tire was totally trashed.

While I was dropping the wheels off with Eddy I noticed he has a very sweet 06 passion with all options but leather, heated seats, rare power sunroof, paddles, silver trident, with about 100k on the clock, for less than 4 grand.  I had to tear myself away before making an unplanned purchase.

Alan

ps sitting at 56,000 km

Air circulation bulkhead = filet anti-remous = wind net

23 hours ago, MikeT said:

Air circulation bulkhead = filet anti-remous = wind net

Where does that fit?

Over radiator grill?

3_DE4073_E-_A043-4453-_AE9_B-_F65981_ADC

PS. Photo shot around noon today. 

Fits across the roll bar keeps the wind out of the cabin with the top down.  I know I can just put the top up but I like the sun.

Smart named it, not me.

Alan

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Fits across the roll bar keeps the wind out of the cabin with the top down.  I know I can just put the top up but I like the sun.

Smart named it, not me.

Alan

Wind deflector P/N Q0005847V004

image.jpg

No start in the Canada 1 this AM.  The alternator's voltage regulator is known to be faulty but it all came to tears (not literally) this morning when it wouldn't even turn over.

But, I have had a spare smart battery on a charger for a few years so I am mobile again.  The alternator and intercooler need to be changed in early 2018, that will be about $1500 so it'll have to wait a wee bit, maybe until the end of January.

If you send me the old intercooler, I’ll solder up the leaks and then you’ll have a spare.   Don’t forget that the alternator can likely be repaired for about a hundred dollars. 

Yeah but I derive no pleasure from the labour, unlike in my old project car.  So it'll be new parts and done by the dealer this time at least.

Thanks for the offer on the IC repair, I may well take you up on that!

Washed and fuelled up the Canada one.  Installed the wheels (from Mike T) and tire package from Flying Tiger.  Vredestiens 175-55R15 front and 195-50R15 rear,  The ride is so much smoother and quieter now.  I have noticed a small decrease in performance with the big rubber but still quite the improvement over all.

On inspection of the original rubber (11 or 12 years old now) I discovered that the steal belt had let go and that caused the vibration good tread still around 80% of the tire but worn right through the belts where the bulge is.  A sigh of relief as there does not appear to be any wheel damage as first thought.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Happy new year all.

Alan 

Visited Uncle Glenn yesterday and got the rear window struts replaced.  A 5 minute job, but a huge difference.  Now we no longer get whacked on the head with the window and there is no fear of breaking the window when it comes crashing down.  Thanks Uncle Glenn.

Nice!  Have you had the car repainted yet?

Yep repaint is complete,  Looking sweet in the Coachella valley.

Alan

1 person likes this

Oh I see now, you need to get the BRABUS coachline and the Canada 1 sticker for the door!

Oh and that's two of the four Canada 1s that have been in that valley!  One white, one red!

The Canada one pinstripe was recreated by a vinyl shop in Nanaimo they took pictures and measurements before removing it for paint looks as good or better than original.  I have the Chicken head but found I like the look of the car without it so have yet to put it back on.  Have had trouble locating the Brabus badges but I think I have located some.  if I can't obtain some before summer I might just take you up on your generous offer Mike.

This is the first time this one has been down here we brought the black one (Island Girl) down a few years back.  This time I made the trip in 21 hours but milage went way down.  Left Vancouver just after midnight and was here in Palm Springs early enough to buy some groceries and a pizza before the stores closed at nine.

Alan

1 person likes this

On 12/30/2017 at 3:17 AM, Leadwing said:

Visited Uncle Glenn yesterday and got the rear window struts replaced.  A 5 minute job, but a huge difference.  Now we no longer get whacked on the head with the window and there is no fear of breaking the window when it comes crashing down.  Thanks Uncle Glenn.

Ha, i need to do this. Im getting whacked a lot since im using the car as a food delivery car. I have seen 2 new ones for sale on ebay for $35, i need to get around to ordering them + some new rear light bulbs.

The canada 1 looks good, the colour matched bumper looks nice. With my black/black 450 its technically colour matched 

My glow plug controler isnt working ndi was going to fix it this summer but i got lazy. It was -19c last night and the car started on the 3rd go(no glow plugs) so im impressed. I guess my compression is good too

Posted (edited) · Report post

The white Canada 1 has been pressed into service since our son returned home from a year in Japan and needs the Mercedes and its snow tires to commute to UVIC.  So she'll be getting a good dose of winter road crap, which I regret, but there is no choice.

Edited by MikeT

It's the Malahat, which is like a zit on the Coast Mountains, but snow tires are mandatory!

The only Canada 1 that is white (No. 2) will hit 120,000 km tomorrow!