Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,049 posts in this topic

I replaced original battery in my '06 Canada1 a few years back, but still have it.  Anal, maybe?

My '05 had snow tires swapped out today bu Glenn, and a re-installation of the map.

It appeared a while ago that the remapping was causing E-test failures, so Glenn removed it from my '05 for the test.

Testing was required for my '06, not my '05.  How's that for stupid?  My stupid!!  Can I blame it on age?

Anywho, the '06 passed with no problems, once the government's system was changed (see other references).

Sure did miss the remap on my '05.  Truely gutless without it, once you've become used to it.

Wow, no one doing much with their cars the last couple weeks! LOL

Except if you have a C1 - nice to see my old cabrio again! Thanks for posting!

I've had my coupe out and about and up the Fraser Canyon. Was looking at a house in North Bend.

This car is still attracting attention if you can believe.... must be the paint!

I figure the car ought to be worthy of 300,000 kms perhaps, without an engine rebuild.... so I have just under 200,000 kms left on it!

Oh, today I got some new energizer CR1225 equivalent batteries in the mail.... so I've changed out the fobs and can actually open the car from far away again!

A wash and full detail is in order very soon, and I will try to get some new or newer floor mats!

Also looking at installing a sub-woofer soon, supposed to be one sitting at a previous owner's house in Port Moody! (red pxl!)

Hoping to be on the island in May or June.

Took off oil pan, peeled off old gasket, made new gasket(RTV sealant). I will put oil in tomorrow, then in 2 days I will know if its leaking or a correct fix. 

I went to replace the cabin air filter, it was really dusty and had a lot of spider webs and pine needles. The engine air filter was packed with dust, the whole housing was full of a thick powder. I had to vacuum it out then wiped the housing down with a wet cloth. I tried to buy new air filters but the two shops i tried didn't have any in stock. Ill order them online. Before i put the filters back I vacuumed them and cleaned them the best I could, it was amazing the amount of dirt i got out of them. It might be a placebo but i swear the car runs a lot better, I vacuumed out the car interior and cleaned the dash and with the clean cabin filter the car feels like im in a  clinical dust free zone.

1 person likes this

A couple weeks ago, I filled up with fuel from a newly built gas station, and about 50 kms away the engine just died, leaving me to coast the the side of the road. I shut the ignition off until the ECU ran down (takes about 20 seconds I think). Restarted the car and kept driving. Check engine light was now on. I managed to limp the car home the remaining ~150km, having to "reset" it a few more times along the way. I noticed that it tended to cut out when I was accelerating. 

Thinking I had water in the fuel or something I added some treatment but that didn't help on the jaunt between home and my shop the next day and I had to reset the car again. Once hooked up to STAR I read the code was low pressure in the fuel manifold or something to that effect. 

So I replaced the fuel filter / water separator, luckily I had one on the shelf waiting to go in.

When I cut the old filter open I found that the element was badly collapsed, so it was surely clogged right up to generate enough pressure differential to collapse the filter element like that.

So, a bad batch of fuel from the new gas station, or it was just due, take your pick, probably a bit from column A and a bit from column B. Anyway it was a reminder for me, and I'll be ordering a couple more filters to do the other smarts in the fleet which are probably similarly over-due for replacement (none of them came with a service history when purchased).

cdi collapsed filter.jpg

It looks like the fuel got too hot and melted the element.  Were you running the tank really low?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not particularly, I normally don't end up with less than 4.0-4.5L, often I don't even get that low as most of my travels are long distances and I'll "top off" before leaving. No signs of thermal damage to the fuel hoses, O-rings, etc which were all in good shape. Hasn't been particularly hot here either, 10-20C mostly. But who knows, could be that the restriction from the filter being clogged, and the resulting low rate of fuel flow meant the high pressure pump had to work extra hard and got the fuel extra hot.

Come to think of it I didn't check the brand of the filter I took out, but it seemed to have been changed at least once before in the car's life (worm gear clamps on the fuel hoses). It had a black housing with a silver top like a MANN though.

There was quite a bit of junk in the fuel that backwashed out of the housing when I dumped it out into a clear container.

Edited by booneylander

with no AC, and now with 'windows-down' season finally arriving ....

yes, my window switches chose to not function

so, today I removed them, disassembled them, and scraped the arcing buildup off the contacts and reinstalled them

Seems to be a 'every-2-years' thing to do

After thorough cleaning of switch contacts, apply battery pole grease and the switches will outlast you. 

1 person likes this

I agree with Tolsen. I have a tube of Permatex dielectric grease that I bought about 10 years ago. I apply it to everything electrical to prevent corrosion and arcing. It's also high-temp so you can use it on spark plug boots also. 

35132405792_dcb57f7d7c_b.jpg

Met up with Barry, Graham, Bob, Tina, Lyn and Leonie.  All the way from Australia, they have shipped their 1960 Peugeot 403 to North America for another big overland adventure!  California-Alaska-eastern Canada-southern USA via Route 66.  This car has driven all over the world, 400,000+ km.

1 person likes this

Its been awhile since I've posted...After 1.5 years of the car sitting in the corner in pieces, finally got enough motivation to put it back together!

With the help of kdubya's STAR machine, I installed/activate a tach, installed a hitch that was laying around, repaired a few cracked panels, charged up the A/C, and had a friend wrapped the car.

Though it is officially for the school's marketing department, I get to drive it once in awhile. Missed these little smart cars a lot.

52002626241__7BB34314-B740-44ED-AB23-5202898B25E7.JPG

On Friday morning had to replace a broken front driver's spring.

Unfortunately the broken spring cut a big rut around the inside tire wall.

So now I need a new tire also.

Poop !!

Drove the C1 to Parksville, top down all the way.  A good day!

Not even one full day and the school's smart car is back in the shop!!!

Somebody put gas into the tank...draining it now and fingers crossed that once the system is flushed, it will fire up

I did that once and discovered before starting.  Siphoned out as much gas as I could and added some power steering fluid to the new diesel to lubricate the high pressure pump. It felt like the car had a little more power for that tank and no damage done.

9gUp1n4m.jpg

Replaced reluctor rings. It wasnt too bad but i would recommend undoing the bottom shock absorber bolt to make it 100% easier. Sanding the rust off was a pain, i did 1 coat of rust paint on the new ring and will rust seal the whole underside of the car before this winter. Housemate recharged his 451 ac with too much refrigerant and we could hear it slugging. I told him to stop and not use his ac until we take out some refrigerant. The next day he sent me a few videos of the slugging noise(no idea why as i told him i knew what it was and not to use it). I got angry at him and told him to not use it at all until we have time to reduce refrigerant or he will break his compressor. He completely disregarded, and now his ac compressor is broken.

Please do not undo shocks whether top or bottom attachment. Undo outer X frame bolts. Rear axle is then free to move  laterally for easy disconnection of outer end of drive shafts. Undoing shocks can cause damage to drive shaft, especially the short shaft.  Having shocks connected ensures driveshafts are not bent to an angle they cannot take. 

1 person likes this

yesterday, I had an epic ride with my utility trailer

125 km ♦,  80 kph +/- , altho it was admittedly empty

232,500 km on the tranny and clutch, and the car did it like a champ !

Edited by cadillacman

Decided to investigate my turbo death noise and found that the TIK pipe turbo end was completely destroyed and was letting dirt in

IMG_2505.JPG

Edited by stickman007

Yesterday we were in Victoria with the smart and I noticed more than the usual smell of diesel exhaust with the top down.  Checked the rear panel and it was quite sooty at the right side engine vents.  Exhaust leak!  BRABUS dual exhaust.....

So we drove home and I changed the oil, then today after a 70 km bike ride I took the rear panel off and sure enough there was a lovely crack at the downpipe.

35779787962_dae845f941_o.png

35561833510_1a523ce91b_b.jpg

This exhaust had been welded there before when Ian Burns (Gent) owned it but it needs some more loving!  Ian gave it to me in 2012 and it needed major internal surgery to use it again at that time.  So I whipped it off and thoroughly cleaned under and inside the rear panel, which was sooty as all heck.  

I'll have Midas weld it up on Monday or Tuesday and meanwhile the car sits naked in the garage.  

35909266286_5e27246b7f_b.jpg

I still have the OE exhaust (which ALSO cracked at that spot, now welded) as well as the rear panel to go with it but I figured I'd wait for the welding to be done and just do the RE & RE once.

Uncle Glenn replaced "Sally's" emergency brake cables on the weekend. Also replaced both front sway bar bushings/linkages (name).  

I had the crack in the BRABUS dual exhaust repaired and she's back together as of 30 minutes ago.35993618295_f205a76b67_b.jpg

1 person likes this