Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,569 posts in this topic

The buyer will be a good custodian!

Picked up my Canada1 from winter storage at Legendary in Milton. They take good care of cars.... regular starting, dusting, tire pressures, etc.  Drove back to London (150’ish km) with no problems.  A/C still blowing cold.

Plan to have it washed, waxed and detailed next week, regular maintenance (oil, filters, etc), take some publicity shots then market her thru various means for sale.  It should be in some bona fide collector’s possession.

I’ll post pictures and results.

Selling it?  One other Canada 1 just sold in BC for a solid 4 figures, maybe twice as much as a regular 450.  Asking price was 7 grand.

In a perfect situation, ie: if we actually had a permanent house with double garage, etc.... I would probably keep the canada1 around. 

But pragmatism says opportunity cost @ 6 or 7% a year means in 15 years, I'd be getting closer to tripling the current value via other means - so with no great way to store for the car long term - I'm going to let more capable and enthusiastic hands take it on.

It's 11 years old now, and needs a really good going through in that engine compartment - everything should get cleaned and tidied up, and it's time to do a lot of proactive things I'm not going to be up for. (remove, clean, reinstall etc...)

I only have a carport at my rented house, not a garage. It's not ideal to open up a tonne of things and tinker for weeks on end. 

And as always the case - I won't rule out owing another smart - albeit I'd be at the $2k price range.

The next one will be a convertible again. Ruby red would be nice, although I'd prefer a pulse with transplanted panels, akin to my original coupe which we did a swap on. Which with a silver Brabus spoiler on the front looked quite nice, silver, ruby red, silver, ruby red, silver.... as Cameron (Speedie) remarked after we did the swap in Ladysmith at Mike's place... I believe that was one of the first panel swaps that was done locally. I can't remember if the numeric blue panels on fortwo's car were done before or after?

I might even await a later year 451 convertible, or even a 453. Never have driven a 453! Of course, I did own a 451 coupe which ended up getting a lift kit in it, and then that ended up in Nanaimo in 2012 when I took home a Subaru. So I assume that 451 is somewhere on the north island still.

Well, my 6th smart has a couple weeks left if all goes as planned. I'll have a few more 'what I did today' posts to make. :)

In a perfect situation, ie: if we actually had a permanent house with double garage, etc.... I would probably keep the canada1 around. 

But pragmatism says opportunity cost @ 6 or 7% a year means in 15 years, I'd be getting closer to tripling the current value via other means - so with no great way to store for the car long term - I'm going to let more capable and enthusiastic hands take it on.

It's 11 years old now, and needs a really good going through in that engine compartment - everything should get cleaned and tidied up, and it's time to do a lot of proactive things I'm not going to be up for. (remove, clean, reinstall etc...)

I only have a carport at my rented house, not a garage. It's not ideal to open up a tonne of things and tinker for weeks on end. 

And as always the case - I won't rule out owing another smart - albeit I'd be at the $2k price range.

The next one will be a convertible again. Ruby red would be nice, although I'd prefer a pulse with transplanted panels, akin to my original coupe which we did a swap on. Which with a silver Brabus spoiler on the front looked quite nice, silver, ruby red, silver, ruby red, silver.... as Cameron (Speedie) remarked after we did the swap in Ladysmith at Mike's place... I believe that was one of the first panel swaps that was done locally. I can't remember if the numeric blue panels on fortwo's car were done before or after?

I might even await a later year 451 convertible, or even a 453. Never have driven a 453! Of course, I did own a 451 coupe which ended up getting a lift kit in it, and then that ended up in Nanaimo in 2012 when I took home a Subaru. So I assume that 451 is somewhere on the north island still.

Well, my 6th smart has a couple weeks left if all goes as planned. I'll have a few more 'what I did today' posts to make. :)

I have a one car garage which fits two Smarts perfectly..... but I have three, so somebody’s left outside in the cold.

If I had the 900 sq.ft. garage I had, there’d be no problem, but I don’t so it’s time to thin the herd.

It may cost me my position as owner and curator of the largest Smart car collection in St Thomas Ontario, but I can live with that. ;)

14A6A319-3EF3-4E05-A985-2AD8A322261F.jpeg

I finally finished installing the tow hitch on my Smart today, that last cut in the rear bumper was the most stressfull of the entire thing....lol  I still need to get a light hook up and a power cord to charge a battery in the small trailer i plan on hauling.  Plus it needs a safety chain loop, Hmmm....the small things...lol

Maybe I'll fit a prop to the hitch just for the comments...lol

I once owned three smarts at a time also! And two multiple times over, but not since 2012.

Took the canada1 to Lynden WA this afternoon. Was going to grab a few pics here and there, but maybe next weekend. The car sure looks sharp in good lighting! (I can also spot all the dust and grime one misses, like on the interior side of the wheels!)

I just looked up Legendary's storage rates, wow!  $285/month!  Maybe it's sightly discounted by the year?

Legendary’s clientele are among the biggest and best collectors in the world.  I was hoping a little word-of-mouth info passed among some of them might stimulate interest in the car.  Nothing yet.  Legendary themselves shied away from promoting the car (either buying it or consigning it) saying it didn’t ‘fit their image’ dealing in unique, collector and high performance vehicles.  I believe the car certainly qualifies as a collector vehicle, but both the sales manager and the owner disagreed.

Maybe all our club members could start a write-in campaign, anonymously looking for quality Smart cars as ‘the next hot collectable’. :)   I’m just kidding, of course.  Please don’t.

Who knows, once I market and advertise the car for sale, it may pique the interest of some high-end collectors in the brand.  I think even you Mike will sell Snowball on the first or second seven figure offer you get. :)

I hope to take the Canada1 to RM Autos in Chatham (another world-class high-end sales and restoration organization) next weekend.... weather permitting.... where they are holding their second annual open house.  ‘Coffee $ Cars’ brings out a surprising number of local vehicles for what amounts to a top quality show ‘n shine.  Open to all brands, their facility is first class.  Very interesting to see an MB 300SL, a Bugatti and a couple of Packards in various stages of restoration.

Maybe my car will catch someone’s eye, or info may spread to others about the car’s availability.

One can only hope.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Right now is not a great time to sell if you're looking for more than about ten grand, maybe a super keen buyer would offer $12K; these cars are on the tail end of the depreciation curve and values will stay very low for about 10 more years.  When they hit about 25 years of age, the appreciation will probably start and that's when anyone interested will be especially intrigued by a special edition like the Canada 1 and it will bring a more significant premium.  Even now a Canada 1 probably adds a premium of 50-70% over a regular smart, but that's peanuts with values where they are.  This is a secondary reason why we drive ours - it's a depreciating asset and we bought it to use every day and enjoy.  If it's worth anything at the end of - say - 15 years of ownership, bonus!

Case in point: when I bought my Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection in 1989, it cost $500 (it was rough), and a beautifully restored or preserved one was worth $12,000.  Now the value according to Hagerty is $86,400 CAD for a show car.  The car was 23 when I bought it and now it's 51.  The (show quality) restoration is nearly complete.  So far it's insured for $55K.  When it's done in just over a year, insurance will be at maximum value.

Edited by MikeT
typo

The markets overall seem to be in a state of flux, I've been on off looking for another Brabus smart possibly a 450 which don't turn up often. The Canada 1's had black wheels I thought but in smartnhappy's profile pic it looks like Brabus chrome which is what I prefer. 

I came close to flying out to BC to check out a Nightrun a while back that popped up on Autotrader for $7888 but talked myself out of it because it wasn't a Cab which again is the other deciding factor, though it would match my 2010 colour wise. 

But I don't think smarts are hitting the collector's market yet and maybe never but who knows in the future. Granted with the problems with SAMs and possible fires on the early 451's..... mine just falls outside of the current recall but it does make me feel a bit on the unsafe side and why I carry a halon fire extinguisher and wrench to pull the battery connectors if I even have the chance....

Who knows though eh, I've been collecting Hot Wheels cars since I was a kid and the prices of some of my original cars is nuts, but then as kids we also played with them as opposed to the real crazies who keep them in their packages. Well ok, I did wax all mine and then wrapped them in tissue before packing them up in my Hot Wheels cases....

But I would say 450 smarts around here are going for $2400 - 5000 so not sure how much further a Canada 1 would stretch that price. Though if I finally got around to getting that car stacker for my garage a Brabus 450 would certainly be on my radar.....

I think clean examples of 450 CDIs we have in Canada will appreciate quite a bit once they hit the magic 25 years of age and our US neighbors can start bringing them in legally. I could envision quite a few wanting one in their collection as it's a pretty unique car in North America.

Good point, might be a good idea to stock up on cars and parts now! :D

The slot and R/C racer in me wants to snag a dirt cheap EV smart with crapped battery or dying battery, yes it's entirely possible I've lost my mind (again) but as Europe kills the sale of ICE cars I have to wonder if some smart folks will start modding EV's. I mean it is just an electric motor so modding the, windings or  going with a more beefed up motor just like we did with our little toy cars might be a possibility. Pity that every manufacturer uses a different battery pack though, like laptop computers but again wonder if someone comes up with a way to re-cell a pack with potentially higher output cells. Of course knowing MB then all the other electrics fry because they can't handle the added power but then we get into aftermarket electrics as well....

Yeah ok, I'll go back on my meds now.....

2 hours ago, niteshooter said:

Good point, might be a good idea to stock up on cars and parts now! :D

The slot and R/C racer in me wants to snag a dirt cheap EV smart with crapped battery or dying battery, yes it's entirely possible I've lost my mind (again) but as Europe kills the sale of ICE cars I have to wonder if some smart folks will start modding EV's. I mean it is just an electric motor so modding the, windings or  going with a more beefed up motor just like we did with our little toy cars might be a possibility. Pity that every manufacturer uses a different battery pack though, like laptop computers but again wonder if someone comes up with a way to re-cell a pack with potentially higher output cells. Of course knowing MB then all the other electrics fry because they can't handle the added power but then we get into aftermarket electrics as well....

Yeah ok, I'll go back on my meds now.....

LOL...at the last car show I went to I saw an old Mini cooper ......get this ....with a small block sideways behind the seats....!
It had the widest wheels and tires I've seen on a car of that size, really well done. It looked like a slollum racer...to be honest. Would have loved to see it in action!
It fot me thinking about my second smart after I harvest it's engine  etc......lol.......Hmmmmmmm.........................?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????       Where's my meds...????????????

Even a 4 cylinder toyota echo motor would create a monster in a smart!

I have one of those also.....augh....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Willys

There's actually a Nightrun edition 33/50 for sale in Calgary right now on Kijiji...not sure how much they're looking for, but overall, Smart car prices have shot up the roof in Alberta. There's even a guy from Red Deer asking $5k for a 450 with 230k on the clock - plus an ugly paint job.

Edited by stickman007

I think a good clean cdi with moderate km will sell for $3000-6000.  Lower km will add a few hundred (but at some point, low km becomes worse than high km) and I suspect the Red Deer guy is overshooting by about $2000 in his asking price.

nightruns are interesting for those who want a coupe, but the lack of seat heaters would drive me bonkers!  Definite retrofit, but it's messy....

I tend to agree with the majority of the posts - that it will take the cars being 25+ years old to start trending noticeably higher in value. A well cared for example with unique features will obviously do better, and cabs will likely do better yet again.

Prices on Vancouver Craigslist are generally too much IMO, and the cars that will sell are likely all $3500 and lower for cdi models.

Cars with >180k should certainly be cheap - you have to think of in terms of operating hours, and the bulk of the cars at that point will have 5000 or more hours on them.

Cars with 100,000 to 140,000 kms likely have 3000-4000 hours on them and still have some pretty good like left for the average car owner, before the repairs make the decision more likely to dump the car cheap and move on around 180.000 k....

Fuel prices of course are going to create some interest in the cars, and lots of chatter, but truth is there are quite a number of good used gas cars capable of 5-6 L/100km that would be a lot less work to own.

just my $0.02

Oil & filter + air filter for the Canada1 at Glenn’s today.

Just over 25,000km on the clock.

On June 4, 2018 at 8:33 PM, smartzuum said:

Cars with 100,000 to 140,000 kms likely have 3000-4000 hours on them and still have some pretty good like left for the average car owner.....

Generally true for city cars.  My cars all average over 60 km/h (measured by the Scangauge or OBC) so at 130K km, my Canada 1 has 2150 hours on it.  When our first cdi was totalled at just shy of 250K km,  the engine only had about 4100 hours on it.  I had been expecting over 300K km on that one before having a major engine problem, maybe more.

Well, today I registered a 2005 passion cabriolet in my name after buying it in Hope, BC. Turns out the car was owned by Lisa Powell, who sold many cars back in the day from MB Broadway! So, I got a hold of her mom tonight who I am still in contact with and shared some pics etc.... hopefully will get a couple in return.

(Her mom does travel stuff, and was of great help on my cross-country 100 MPG Challenge in 2005 when I took my first (of 7) smarts across the country to Cape Spear and return! Her mom also owned a couple smarts over the years!

I'll probably update in a different thread on this one. It needs a lot of work - hopefully the engine is salvageable. But it is pretty much all original and will clean up nicely. 195,000 kms. Black tridion, black panels, clock/tach, no paddles, does have the sound upgrade, heated seats, AC of course... not leather! 

Tried out my POPTOP for my 451 on this sunny day, It doesn't disappoint  everything inside wasn't even warm to the touch. But it gets a lot of looks though.

1 person likes this

On 2018-06-04 at 0:54 PM, Willys said:

LOL...at the last car show I went to I saw an old Mini cooper ......get this ....with a small block sideways behind the seats....!
It had the widest wheels and tires I've seen on a car of that size, really well done. It looked like a slollum racer...to be honest. Would have loved to see it in action!
It fot me thinking about my second smart after I harvest it's engine  etc......lol.......Hmmmmmmm.........................?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????       Where's my meds...????????????

Even a 4 cylinder toyota echo motor would create a monster in a smart!

I have one of those also.....augh....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder what the frame on the mini looked like! Our smarts look pretty good with wide wheels/tires and I've always liked the look of wide wheels and tyres on a mini. 

A Fiesta 3 cylinder turbo motor sounds interesting at 125 hp though how much fabrication is needed to shoehorn it into a smart is another story. But sounds interesting as does the Echo motor..... Seems the Busa is a popular 450 swap though, granted just dropping a gas euro 450 TC motor might be enough. 

Wonder if an old Suzuki RE5 motor would fit... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

I get to drive my Canada 1 to the office Tuesday!  Yes!