Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,267 posts in this topic

While it was apart I painted the clock surround red.  I then painted the rev counter surround and speedo pinnacle trim to match.

Excellent news.  The post lady has delivered my new brake pads, so that's a job for tomorrow morning.

1 person likes this

Got a chance to meet up with Willy (Jonathan) today! Great guy, very passionate with Smart cars among other things...hahaha Played around with my MBSTAR on his car, made a EGR bypass pipe, and nerd it up talking about EGR and electronics!

Next stop, TO for the weekend!

2 people like this

Yes we had a great time chatting and him educating me on all things Smart.  Loved it....we even had some things in common from years ago...lol.   Thanks for the MBSTAR lesson and exercise on my car...I appreciate your time and expertise.
I was surprised we agreed of everything we discussed...even my buddy...lol.....no not really but we didn't get serious just joking around...a great day Thanks IZZY.

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did the brake pads.  It was laughably easy.  Did the fluid too, which was also a cinch.  I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of finish of the various fasteners - it's survived 14 stupidly salty British winters with very little in the way of corrosion and everything came apart cleanly.

I was also double pleased that all the brake warning wally lights on the dash have now cleared.  I was half expecting to have to have it properly diagnosed, but all is good.

Next on the shopping lists is bits for a service. What grade of oil are you folks using? I was thinking 5w30 fully synthetic with a Mann filter.

Anyway, the old bus is starting to look much younger than her years, and goes and stops how I want her too.  I'm very pleased, and I'm starting to see what you folks dig about Smart motoring.  So much so, that last night I caught myself browsing eBay looking for an early car as a project....

Edited by Chopper

8 hours ago, Chopper said:

Next on the shopping lists is bits for a service. What grade of oil are you folks using? I was thinking 5w30 fully synthetic with a Mann filter.

If it is a diesel, the factory recommended oil is 0w40 Mobil1.  In warmer weather, some folks go for a 5w40. (fully synthetic, of course)

Ah, sorry, forgot you guys mainly have diesel.  It's a petrol.

5W30 would be fine for a region that does not see negative temperatures.

Our winters aren't in the Canadian league, but  they can get well into negative numbers Celsius and significant snowfall isn't uncommon. That said, were in the grip of a month long heatwave with no end in sight.

19 hours ago, Chopper said:

Ah, sorry, forgot you guys mainly have diesel.  It's a petrol.

The 2005 and 2006 models imported into Canada were diesels.  This was the first year that smart cars were brought over here. .. All subsequent smarts were either gas (petrol) or electric.

1 person likes this

Hokay, as previously mentioned I broke the radio on the first day of ownership.  I'd whipped it out to fit my DAB converter, but when it wouldn't sit right in the dash I lost my rag and punched it.  I'm 6'5" and 265lbs, so it was Chopper 1, Smart Car 0.  One dead head unit.  Had my meter out and the wiring is fine, it's definitely the head unit I've mullered.

So, looking at a new head unit.  The cabin is very noisy with road, wind and engine noise, so I can see little actual benefit in going OTT with amps, posh head units, speakers made from depleted uranium.  I may just slip in a cheapo modern head unit with no CD mechanism, one that plays from a USB stick or memory card.  Inexpensive and convenient, should do me nicely for playing my Cadillac Three.  So, today it's head unit browsing.

Every October the dealer in Victoria has a 450 radio/CD player for sale at $40.  Code included of course.....

So my son has been commuting 180 km a day in the smart to UVIC and it was getting to be time to wash the car.  So I gave her a bath yesterday.  We're into a heatwave now so we're going - I hope - keep it clean for a while.

I found a Scangauge II and a Scangauge E today in a box! (Plus I have one SG II in need of repair which is going back very soon for a new board... it was a return from a VW owner who killed it due to an improperly installed aftermarket radio)

Checked the codes and cleared P0303 and P0405 - the EGR code is nothing new.... the cylinder 3 misfire might be a new one - will watch for it to appear again, or not.... 197,000 kms on car, so it may be getting time to pull injectors, and/or I think I will do a fuel filter soon as well... Car has been running quite well despite only doing minimal work on it thus far. The on again off again limp mode doesn't even bother me. :) I can live with less than perfect on this car - it owes me nothing!! I haven't found Howes Meaner Power Kleaner yet - it's been out of stock locally - have used the regular Howes as well as Lucas with good results - car's power was restored within a few hundred kms when I first got it.

I can now verify the Intake temp, coolant temp and MAP... as well as voltage... glad to have found the leftover SG finally! Plus holders, mounts and spare cables! A lifetime supply hopefully! ;) Question is do I actually have a non-CAN cable handy... hmm..... they'll give me one if I do not.

33 minutes ago, smartzuum said:

so it may be getting time to pull injectors

If you pull the injectors I would suggest that you swap the #3 injector with the #1.

That way if you get a 301 code you will know the injector is bad. 

Parked next to a 451 in the car park at work. 

_20180715_203210.JPG

1 person likes this

Painted the bodies of my dash vents white.  A cheeky contrast with the  red gauge and instrument trim.

And I've also fixed some rust on the tridion cell, just forward the fabric roof.  Just 2 tiny spots near the corners, rubbed down, rust killer applied, carefully touched in, then ive squirted a bead of PU adhesive under the edge of the roof westherstrip to prevent any further water ingress.  Its 95 in the shade, hasnt rained in 6 weeks, so now seemed a good time to do it while the car was bone dry.

Looked under the car with a view to attacking any rust there, but it's really clean down there, so happy days.

Today I fitted my ham radio gear in the ForTwo.  I was keen not to do any permanent damage, so the 2M set went under the passenger dashboard and mounted on an existing mounting screw.  I made a bracket to fit to the drivers side tailgate mount, which likes out through the shut line nicely.  Just need to make up an antenna lead and I'm sorted.

After 8 days of ownership I also noticed mine has Mercedes badges front and rear, and Mercedes wheel centres.  I'm guessing it's the work of a previous owners, as I don't think it was ever a factory option here (I believe in the early years selling dealers in Germany wou,d fit them at the buyers request). They're clean and in good order so they'll stay for now.

Come on folks, I can't be the only person doing stuff to a Smart.

1 person likes this

And some pics... 

_20180717_084250.JPG

_20180717_084324.JPG

Had a previous car catch fire on me, hence the extinguisher.  I have an extinguisher and a glass hammer/seat belt cutter in all my cars. 

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

Today I fitted my ham radio gear in the ForTwo.  I was keen not to do any permanent damage, so the 2M set went under the passenger dashboard and mounted on an existing mounting screw.  I made a bracket to fit to the drivers side tailgate mount, which likes out through the shut line nicely.  Just need to make up an antenna lead and I'm sorted.

After 8 days of ownership I also noticed mine has Mercedes badges front and rear, and Mercedes wheel centres.  I'm guessing it's the work of a previous owners, as I don't think it was ever a factory option here (I believe in the early years selling dealers in Germany wou,d fit them at the buyers request). They're clean and in good order so they'll stay for now.

Come on folks, I can't be the only person doing stuff to a Smart.

Been pondering how to mount radio gear in my 451 as well. Ok the radio is the easy part but figuring out an antenna mount that won't get hit by the tailgate and still get a decent ground is the challenge. I had been considering using the threaded tow hook hole in the rear bumper but would have to make a mount that moved the antenna out to the side so I could still open the tailgate. Just a matter of getting in gear and bending a piece of metal on the brake at a buddies shop... I have a sat radio under the dash already but at least todays radios are a lot smaller. Also pack a fire extinguisher and small tool kit in order to disconnect the battery in case something goes haywire with the electrics. Have a 4 way 12v power splitter so I can run my GPS and the sat radio from the single 12 plug as well as my USB cell phone charger. It mounts nicely between the cupholder and plastic trim by the firewall. 

1 person likes this

I can take some photos of the rear of the mount if that's of any use to you.

73 de M6RGJ.

Edited by Chopper

Here you go. 

_20180717_152014.JPG

Not at all flimsy, well up the the job of supporting my 5/8 wave VHF vertical.  The silver screw is to stop the mount twisting and trying to rotate.

Edited by Chopper
Extra info.

Yes please! So it's just bolted under the tail light? And just long enough so that the tailgate misses it? Will have to go out and look at my smart and see if I have enough of a gap. I have some aluminum strip that looks about the same thickness to the piece you used. Perhaps with this type of antenna. 

https://www.diamondantenna.net/cr8900a.html

1 person likes this

Ah! Ok so bolts to the tailgate, very clever and a dandy lance for those who partake in tailgating!

1 person likes this