Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,985 posts in this topic

Installed an oil pan heater and ran the cable the length of the car next to the plug for the 120v cabin.Then I cut the ridiculous plug off the front and attached a 120v plug so that both cables can be pluggedinto one extension cord. I will plug a small ceramic heater into the 120v outlet in the passenger footwelland I should have heat to my engine and to me in the mornings.

I visited my favourite son in law and now Baby Elsie has her visors on over the doors. She's lookin' good! Now for the air scoop and we're all done!! We'll need to take a new picture!!Ish.

Edited by ishkabibble

3.3 at that speed is unreal!

Find the CDi likes a steady rpm, nonstop highway no sudden changes in speed. Gets about 3.7/3.8 in the city no scanguage as of yet. May change in 2011 Edited by aderoy

The BRABUS handbrake handle came adrift today so I peeled back the leather gaiter, cut off the zap strap, tightened the two set screws, and put it all back together. Took about 20 minutes. If it happens again I will be putting some loctite on them.

Didn't quite "do it" to the smart, but today I picked up the four 452 front steels and ordered the Eibach 25mm spacers. Tomorrow I'll order the tires.

This afternoon, I gave the front steel (snow tire) skinnies a coat of rattle-can Tremclad gloss black to match the powder-coated rear steelies. After drying overnight, I'll be ready to have them put on the car later this week. Winter? Bring it!Bil :sun:

Le roadster, hien?

Yep. Expensive winter wheel and tire set, but worth it. My last two sets of Nokians were the best tires I've ever used; on the Isuzu they went four winters and 40K with no signs of wear, and on the VW Transporter van they were close to six winters and 90K with more than half the tread left. The van drove better on icy and snow-covered roads than some of my cars did on dry pavement with all seasons!

Yep. Expensive winter wheel and tire set, but worth it. My last two sets of Nokians were the best tires I've ever used; on the Isuzu they went four winters and 40K with no signs of wear, and on the VW Transporter van they were close to six winters and 90K with more than half the tread left. The van drove better on icy and snow-covered roads than some of my cars did on dry pavement with all seasons!

I'm hoping I'm not going to hear that Nokians do come in Smartie sizes. I had them on my van and they were super. Really dug in the snow!!Ish.

I'm hoping I'm not going to hear that Nokians do come in Smartie sizes. I had them on my van and they were super. Really dug in the snow!!Ish.

Well, you can get a rear tire that is close to stock. I am using studded Hakka 5's in a 185/55/15. Ya, they grip.

Last night I installed a new OEM battery along with a battery charger/maintainer in the well plugged into the 120V outlet, so when I plug in the block heater, the battery is getting topped off to full charge as well. It is REALLY tight, but I managed to get it in there. If I was to do it again, I would get a the smaller version of the charger.

Charger I installed:

http://batterytender.com/automotive/power-...-12v-at-5a.html

I would probably install this one instead though:

http://batterytender.com/automotive/waterp...hemisphere.html

Got my Type A service done. $133.50 after taxes... not bad.Done in London.(I feel like they didn't charge me tax... owell I don't care!)

Last night I installed a new OEM battery along with a battery charger/maintainer in the well plugged into the 120V outlet, so when I plug in the block heater, the battery is getting topped off to full charge as well. It is REALLY tight, but I managed to get it in there. If I was to do it again, I would get a the smaller version of the charger.Charger I installed:http://batterytender.com/automotive/power-...-12v-at-5a.htmlI would probably install this one instead though:http://batterytender.com/automotive/waterp...hemisphere.html

I have three of the Battery Tenders on my three special interest cars. I use the long extension cord they offer so the tenders sit on my work bench. So far, no problems using the longer cord.

Well, you can get a rear tire that is close to stock. I am using studded Hakka 5's in a 185/55/15. Ya, they grip.

I decided to go un-studded, on all four corners. For the few times a winter they'd be useful to me around here, the studs would be a real detriment the other 95% of the time

Tires are in, will be installed and balanced on Thursday night. Just got a shipping update from Summit Racing saying the Eibach spacers are on a UPS Ground truck in Ontario... California, and should be here next Monday.

I was going to mount my mostly-worn WinterContacts today as intermediates -- we're supposed to get sub-zero temperatures this weekend -- but something came up. Tonight I'm going to polish the Roadie rims and throw a layer or two of clear coat over them in the hopes of keeping them from chipping and rusting as quickly as the 450 steels did when I got them.

I was going to mount my mostly-worn WinterContacts today as intermediates -- we're supposed to get sub-zero temperatures this weekend -- but something came up. Tonight I'm going to polish the Roadie rims and throw a layer or two of clear coat over them in the hopes of keeping them from chipping and rusting as quickly as the 450 steels did when I got them.

I am actually sending my steel wheels out to be media blasted and then powder coated. Should eliminate the dreaded rusty looking steel wheels for a LONG time. Unfortunately, it costs about $100/rim, still cheaper than buying a new set every couple of years.

Edit: Ottawa Powdercoating charges $80/rim for plain silver.

http://www.ottawapowdercoating.com/index.htm

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Yeah, I might be doing that for mom's Corolla's winter steels next year. Her Winterforce tires still have lots of tread but the mfg date on them is 1604 (April 2004) so she'll need new tires next year. She hates the rust -- and her rims have tons of it despite my best Tremclad efforts over the last two years. I promised her I'd get her a set of cheap wheel covers in the interim. :)

Then again she drives so little -- 2003 Corolla has 55K on it! -- that I may just get a set of cheap winter alloys for her, which will be cheaper than blasting/coating.

Installed a new set of winter tires this morning.. they're currently predicting snow by Wed night.

Posted Image

(The munchkins reflected in the door panel are me and my better half, who kindly helped with the install.)

I found some black and grey small collapsible totes for the Smart at Canadian Tire. They fit snuggly and should not move.Part # 199-0185-8 $19.98 per pair.post-8347-1282096012_thumb.jpg post-8347-1282096035_thumb.jpg post-8347-1282096052_thumb.jpg post-8347-1282096065_thumb.jpgNorm

These are back on sale at Canadian tire this week for $4.99 each...Gordhttp://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1290304857564 Edited by gordo.bernard

Snowball the white smart got washed today because it was a tad dirty when Jenn T got home in it yesterday just before the snow hit us - it was raining then. Snowball was not salty, but she was dirty. So it will stay in the garage until the snow, ice and salt are gone.The other smart, the green one, got a full tank courtesy of me and some minor cleaning. I have to change the rear snow tires soon (maybe Sunday) because the TS 760s are showing maybe 3 mm in the centre of the tread but the TS800s I have are better, with over 6 mm. It's icy and snowy here!

We aren't expecting any white stuff for the coming week, but after a brief heatwave Monday and Tuesday it is expected to get sub-freezing again. I may switch to my near-bald 760s as intermediates just for the tread compound. The new Nokianswill get slapped on once we get a serious amount of winter precipitation.

Well it just started snowing 1/2 and hour ago over here, so I guess I'd better dig out the winter skinnies from the basement, and put them onI'm also getting a traction disabler from Huronlad

Just did a once-over on the new roadster steels with Meguiar's #3 Machine glaze (by hand), all set for a couple of coats of clear, hopefully keeping the flaking and rust at bay for a year. The old 450 steels are a bit beyond help, so I'll just do a quickie spray with tridion silver paint and clear, then probably mount those and keep them on until the snow flies.Also, tank is showing 0.0 L, so I will add half a bottle of Tunap 134 Diesel Injector Cleaner to the tank -- Tunap is the only brand of additive approved by MB in the EU -- and drive ten minutes to Petro Canada to fill up. There are three ways to use #134: with a VVD adapter (dealership/garage only), filling the fuel filter housing, or adding to the tank (least effective). I am not up to replacing the filter today -- this filter only has 20K on it and no B100 -- so I will save the second half of the bottle for when I get around to that.ETA: Just shot the Honda's wretched steels with "Aluminum" Tremclad Professional. They just don't look pretty! :P but having wire-brushed, sanded and Tremcladded (in black) all our other steel rims every fall for years, it doesn't really matter; by January they'll look hell anyway.