Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

I run whatever the normal diesel is at the everyday stations, not used Shell yet. Rock the car side to side and it'll allow air to burp out and you'll get some more into the tank fuel that is......probably makes a bit of a difference. I simply look at what the first bubble gets me and fill up at 400kms which is usually when the last bubble is left. Being out of the way, I fear that walk of shame...lol. All I care about in way of fuel consumption now is geting that number as close to 3.5 everytime I take her out for more than 20 minutes.

The additive i use is made by Power Service, called diesel clean.   Works out to be 48ml per tank, every other tank I add it.

I use either Husky or go to the reservations for real cheap fuel ... No fuel related issues in either car.

Today I took my leased 2016 ED back to the dealer.

Had it for exactly 3 years and 28,643 kms. It is an AWESOME  ground breaking vehicle. It performed flawlessly!

My wife was surprised I never got a speeding ticket! It accelerated very nicely off the line!

collected Marcie from the doctors who had operated on her to replace both o2 sensors.

its nice driving without an eml on :)

Drive mine to work.  The car park was busy but I got a space.  I was feeling mischievous, so I parked really far back in the space.  I then sat at my desk looking out the window, watching as people went racing up thinking there was a space then driving away disappointed when they saw a Smart car tucked well back in it.  Kept me chuckling to myself for a few hours.

Also discovered a female colleague has a 451 ragtop.  It's nice, but not as nice as my 450 ;)

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Drive mine to work.  The car park was busy but I got a space.  I was feeling mischievous, so I parked really far back in the space.  I then sat at my desk looking out the window, watching as people went racing up thinking there was a space then driving away disappointed when they saw a Smart car tucked well back in it.  Kept me chuckling to myself for a few hours.

Also discovered a female colleague has a 451 ragtop.  It's nice, but not as nice as my 450 ;)

I used to park that way also, until I was sitting in the car when I heard a screeching of tires....some woman had simply turned in expecting an empty space then saw me sitting there!  I nearly lost my baby in the first week of owning her!   I now park as close to the opposite end, almost sticking out of the space...lol.   She gave me such a dirty look, loved it,...lol

1 person likes this

Gave mine a quick clean.  Removed the boot load cover thing, cos it's a pain in the arse.  My search and rescue gear now nestles under a black blanket.  Other than the secure car park at work it never gets parked anywhere so security isn't a major issue.

Cleaned out the screen wash nozzles with an airline, and reset the aim.  Made a snow shield for the ventilation intake and drilled it lower down to bring in air shielded by the bodywork.  Not the best option in hot weather as it'll now suck in air that's been warmed by the radiator, but it has aircon and it's a cabrio so not really an issue.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

I drove my perfectly clean car in the rain, augh!....lol. Now it's ready for another bath,,,lol....but I did notice I have a nasty squeak from my wipers at slower speeds which upsets me, yes i'm picky!  
I forgot about that air deflecter thing for the winter months....damn I have plenty to get don on the beater to ready it for service....lol. It seems the list is growing not shrinking!

Still waiting for the tire sales ready for new winter tires.  The thing is, because they are such a stupid size, will they ever come on sale?  Does anyone know because if they won't I'll simply go out now and buy a set ready.

Found out I can weld the seals on the exhaust easily, performed a little open heart surgery on my beater's muffler. Now to buy a strip of 1" flat and cut the seam clean off then weld her up, easy peasy!  IF it works well I'll be buying a few and starting a muffler business...lol.

2 people like this

today turned into an unplanned maintenance day

it started off with random weird beeping ..couldnt figure it out ...central lock button was flickering but fob locks worked fine..beeping in neutral and shifting to zero unless clutch was engaged

so since the door was apart afew days ago to lube up the latch i figured maybe i got oil in the door switch...but after taking that all apart again and cleaning it it made no difference

then my A.D.D. switched my attention to the dirty back window and when i used the squirter it sprayed the inside of the glass instead of outside..so the rear wing got removed and i had to fix the broken plastic nipples for the washers 

so then i went for a ride and noticed the a/c was splashing water out the air intake (i always leave it on recirc)

so the front clip comes off to find the plugged a/c drain

then i remembered that z box and figure maybe its wet and causing the alarms/beeping but nope..it looks brand new inside and was not wet

so then i remembered that connector you cant see without removing the battery and when i got in there it was crusty with green fellas so it got removed and bypassed with solder and heatshrink

problem seems to be solved

until the next one pops up

2 people like this

On 8/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, Willys said:

Found out I can weld the seals on the exhaust easily, performed a little open heart surgery on my beater's muffler. Now to buy a strip of 1" flat and cut the seam clean off then weld her up, easy peasy!  IF it works well I'll be buying a few and starting a muffler business...lol.

I'll gladly swap mine for yours! Willing first customer right here lol.

Yesterday, was a rough day, started out great, learned I can weld the muffler material almost at will....then 3 of us got together for a meet and greet, coffee, some Swizz Chalet then a few more hours chooting the breeze afterwards. But, the big issue was. I placed my near full coffee on the roof and the wind took it and emptied it all over my nice clean car......Oh the HORROR......lol...I'll tell you, it's a good way to find where all the rain water goes...lol. I now have some detailing to get to today!....lol.

But....yesterday I had my first engine code pop up...! Forgot what it was...I cleared it as I was on my way out at the time and wanted to see if it would reappear and never did! Damn.....   The only thing I was doing different at the time was driving with the rear window open to get some door moulding home. There can't be a sensor realated to driving with rear window open can there?  Oh well, time will see if it pops back up. I've done plenty of driving and also a rip up the highway lastnight at over 120 and it hasn't reappeared, so fingers crossed...

Did the 450 1/2 bonnet mod.  Now have an easily opening front end. 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, dynamomarl said:

I haven't even finished it yet, I was going to replace the entire lower seam just to make sure it never rusts through again. Also remember I have taken out the Cat, something that could get you in deep trouble IF a mechanic while being nosey could stop an emmissions cert. Forcing you to buy new muffler.  I also haven't heard the noise levels yet of this system. So it's still a work in progress. I have 1 1/2 hours of messing around in it so far, so not too bad. That's after removing it from car and on my bench. The cat is a very tough thing to beat out, I thought it being a very fine honey comb shaped thing made of what looks like clay would break apart easily but it took some serious hammer and chisel action. It came out without any damage to the can. The holes in the honey comb I bet you can't get a sewing needle through they are so tight! So removing it has to open up the air flow which should increase a bit of up and go for our gutless machines.

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Did the 450 1/2 bonnet mod.  Now have an easily opening front end. 

This is something I liked the idea of, but worried about how it all fastened back down securely after the surgery. What's it like now?

14 minutes ago, dynamomarl said:

I'll bet it's close to the sound of your glass pack now seeing as the actual muffler is less than the size of a kid's school lunch box insdie the massive heavy muffler we have on these cars!  So you should wait and see what it sounds like.  Plus I think your open system definately has far better flow which means it should work better.....performance wise. Remembering it still is a 800cc engine...lol

I'll go to the local scrapyard where there used to be 3 smarts  and see what they want for a few mufflers and then see what we can do.

Edited by Willys

Thanks Tolsen.  If you had been 5 minutes quicker i wouldn’t have needed to google half bonnet mod.  

Nigel

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

It's nice and secure.  Won't come off by accident. 

I like it, but how is it secured? Looks like the 4 corners are secured with some type of pressure pin connectors.

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

It's nice and secure.  Won't come off by accident. 

Got pics of the way it holds itself together..?

I'd have to take it apart to show you! Next time the bonnet is off I'll slap some pics.

1 person likes this

Thinking of making a deal with the local wreckers to swap my old still semi good Toyota Echo for their diesel smart, worth more to me in parts than the Echo is.....lol.  For starters it has a near new muffler....lol

Blue with plenty of scratches as they didn't give 2 f's...but many mechanical parts etc etc, wheels and tires again, engine, complete, seats, dash, guages, etc etc

They have two gassers there also, the question now is, is the mufflers similar enough to be usable?  But the cars could be no?