Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,480 posts in this topic

Fitted brand new rear tyres. Only £56 for the pair inclusive of fitting. Rotalla Setula. Famous China tyre. 
AC5313_BD-_DDC3-428_B-_AD71-0998_B3_AD45

Old pair lasted 7 years. Pretty even wear on them. 

3_D7_E062_D-9_F05-4_B9_C-8_FEF-9390_FB2_

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last week I got some headlights cheap off ebay, yesterday and today I took off the front lens and removed the chrome inserts and sprayed them satin black. One is back together the other has smashed mounts. When I remove the front to fit them, one will be a replacement one will just need the insert doing changing before putting it back on on Marcie

Edited by dolphinfreindly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...you can get tires at a great price, wish they were closer to a common size over here. IF it's not a 100lb 17"rim  14" wide monster here it's not a common size it seems...lol

I'm waiting for the winter sales to start for my winter tires.

 

As for the work on the Smarts...I have started the soaking proceedure for removing the glow plugs, I'll change all 3, I see no point in doing just 1 while you are in there do it right and get them all out and changed.
The engine light is driving me crazy, but I simply clear the code and wait for it to show it's ugly face again and repeat!

I scored a used air compressor motor, pump combination yesterday from a buddy. So I am now fixing the no air in the shop problem, you must have air....manual hand tools suck....didn't realize how lazy I had become...lol.   No I won't be powering the glow plugs out with the 1/2" air gun...lol.

Tomorrow it's find me some glow plugs day.....oh joy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone stained their headlights yellow....?   It's something we used to do way way back in the day?    Thought it may be something I may concider for the winter beater as I think they are better seen in a snow storm etc etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing exciting.  A few days ago I broke the antenna with my hamfistedness, leaving the stub of the antenna stuck irretrievably in the mount, so new mount and antenna mast fitted.  A smear of copper grease on the antenna threads to prevent any further seizing.

 

The stereo I bought works fine, but not having a good old fashioned CD player has annoyed me. £18 saw a used Sony CD head unit delivered to my door for  eBay.  Fully working, surprisingly good condition, all fitted and working perfectly.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Willys said:

Wow...you can get tires at a great price, wish they were closer to a common size over here. IF it's not a 100lb 17"rim  14" wide monster here it's not a common size it seems...lol

I'm waiting for the winter sales to start for my winter tires.

 

As for the work on the Smarts...I have started the soaking proceedure for removing the glow plugs, I'll change all 3, I see no point in doing just 1 while you are in there do it right and get them all out and changed.
The engine light is driving me crazy, but I simply clear the code and wait for it to show it's ugly face again and repeat!

I scored a used air compressor motor, pump combination yesterday from a buddy. So I am now fixing the no air in the shop problem, you must have air....manual hand tools suck....didn't realize how lazy I had become...lol.   No I won't be powering the glow plugs out with the 1/2" air gun...lol.

Tomorrow it's find me some glow plugs day.....oh joy!

 

 

i bought a milwaukee m18 2767 last year...best tool ive ever owned 

 

the compressor only gets fired up now when i need to inflate tires or blow out carbs (and when using the tire machine)

 

amazing torque on that thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

 

 

i bought a milwaukee m18 2767 last year...best tool ive ever owned 

 

the compressor only gets fired up now when i need to inflate tires or blow out carbs (and when using the tire machine)

 

amazing torque on that thing

Yes i know what you mean, I bought the cheaper DeWalt version a few years back now, the drill and impact set, I also don't know how I survived without these tools before...lol. I also use many other air operated tools on a semi daily basis, die grinders, cut off, recipricating saw, drill, chisel, sanders, I think I have almost all of them maybe by now,.  So after a 20 year span I can't complain  really except for the price of the new version of my compressor.....is like a few grand!  So this late in life i will suffer the slower build up speed and make due I think.   Unless it's just too slow.....then I'll do some serious whining to the misses!...lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, I fitted the headlights with my satin black inserts. Its a really subtle mod that only costs a few quid and looks great to boot :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dolphinfreindly said:

Today, I fitted the headlights with my satin black inserts. Its a really subtle mod that only costs a few quid and looks great to boot :D

Pictures...???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't have pics yet, but they look similar to the brabus lights. Next thing to fit when they arrive is the chromatic bulbs to get rid of the the fried egg look of the indicators

 

image.jpg

Edited by dolphinfreindly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of my front fogs was damaged, the other milky and horrible.  New ones were £90 a pair for cheap pattern parts, which I can't justify.  £12 from ebay and a bit of fiddling later and I had a very acceptable alternative. 

 

 

_20180828_144919.JPG

Edited by Chopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OE smart Hella 450 fog lights are quite honestly the worst lights ever.  Having them illuminated for about an hour will melt the plastic (!) reflector - the lights will still illuminate but not project......aftermarket Hella lights with the smaller fisheye lens are a lot better because their reflectors are aluminium.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite please with my Hong Kongese led jobs.  Looking forward to trying them in the dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmmm.....I replaced mine also with high powered LEDs from over there somewhere also. BUT I cheated somewhat...I simply removed the round light and intalled a rectangular LED spot  behind the small grill so it shines through the light space. They are stupidly bright if you look straight at them so with them semi hidden in behind the grill they only shine forwards towards oncoming cars as daytime running lights. I have had zero issue with people wanting to turn in front of me since installing them...lol. So they must be doing their job!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my round lights was physically mullered, else I'd have tried a similar wheeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chopper said:

One of my round lights was physically mullered, else I'd have tried a similar wheeze.

The original lights are a waste of time in comparisn..IMHO....after you get used to the open hole look it's fine, you do not notice it..lol

Just don't get down to knee level and look at them...lol

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LooseLugNuts said:

that license plate would be hilarious if it was an A instead of a E

Damn...I must be getting old, I bet that's what it stands for....excellent!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought three China keyfob cases recently.  They arrived yesterday morning.  Surprisingly poorly made.  Circuit board won't fit unless I remove battery.  Key is loose fit and comes off when insering key into lock. The case halves all cracked when snapping case together.  Circuit board switches won't operate as being depressed by casing when fitted.  Complained promptly and seller kindly offered a refund.

Wonder why they bother making stuff like that. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got a bad supplier: I had worn through the vinyl buttons on my original 2005 fob and got a new case from China and I just used the part with the soft buttons....snapped right onto the OEM bottom part and has performed beautifully for 2+ years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tolsen said:

Bought three China keyfob cases recently.  They arrived yesterday morning.  Surprisingly poorly made..................Circuit board switches won't operate as being depressed by casing when fitted.

 

Same here; I received 3 fob cases and 3 key blanks from China about 3 months ago. The buttons are hard plastic with close to "Zero" flex. Seeing that, I didn't even try to swap over my circuit boards in fear of damaging the boards.  Only cost me $5 CDN and thought it was too good to be true. A lesson learned!

 

FOBS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tested out my front fogs in the dark tonight. Much better than that standard ones, although a Zippo in an empty bean can would cast a better light than the standard ones.  Well pleased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OE fog lights were good for the first hour of use when new.  Then the reflector melts and they become like you described above.....

 

Hella should be ashamed of the OE smart fog lights.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

 

Same here; I received 3 fob cases and 3 key blanks from China about 3 months ago. The buttons are hard plastic with close to "Zero" flex. Seeing that, I didn't even try to swap over my circuit boards in fear of damaging the boards.  Only cost me $5 CDN and thought it was too good to be true. A lesson learned!

 

FOBS.jpg

They look just like mine going by the numbers parked on their labels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marcie, although a passion model, didn't come with a glove box, so I spent £10 on a glove box and lid, fitted and sorted in 30 mins B-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

    Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More