Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,480 posts in this topic

Today i'll be checking the oil, water and tyre pressures.  Got a longish  drive tomorrow.  Old pilots and bold pilots and all that.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Today i'll be checking the oil, water and tyre pressures.  Got a longish  drive tomorrow.  Old pilots and bold pilots and all that.

Isn't this what sensible folks do normally.....I always thought so!
I have changed my rear tires because of the same issue, long drive tomorrow and don't need to risk a ruptured sidewall far far away from home, but around home I can manage!  Tire is basically new tread wise.....and it's killing me to remove it...lol.  But common sense tells me, when 5 hours away, do what is required to make life easy!
Maybe it's an old British thing...lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You would think so, but the typical motorist doesn't lift the bonnet or check tyre pressures between services.  They then moan when their tyres wear out prematurely, and why their car is knackered at a mere 6 or 7 years old.  Dunno  if it's any better over there?

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

You would think so, but the typical motorist doesn't lift the bonnet or check tyre pressures between services.  They then moan when their tyres wear out prematurely, and why their car is knackered at a mere 6 or 7 years old.  Dunno  if it's any better over there?

I agree. I find a very fine line for Tire pressure. 1 lb. or 2, up or down, makes a big difference. I check mine every couple of weeks. Never see any changes but it is a peace of mind thing. How many Smarts are running tire pressures of 40 psi (as an example) because a shop set it that way? Going to the other end of the spectrum; how many are running with 4 litres of engine oil in them? I've heard of a bunch over the years. People assume Service Shops know everything about everything. But what the the shops don't understand is that our unique vehicles are pretty much unique in every way and don't follow the same rules as "the norm". A few minutes a month is all it takes to check the basics and look for any oddities. 

1 person likes this

On 8/29/2018 at 11:17 AM, TheHandyHobbit said:

Same here; I received 3 fob cases and 3 key blanks from China about 3 months ago. The buttons are hard plastic with close to "Zero" flex. Seeing that, I didn't even try to swap over my circuit boards in fear of damaging the boards.  Only cost me $5 CDN and thought it was too good to be true. A lesson learned!

FOBS.jpg

my china keys must have been from a different supplier

i bought 2 keys with empty cases both had really nice working buttons....and one key with electronics seems like same quality (but i still havent managed to program it)

2 hours ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

how many are running with 4 litres of engine oil in them? I've heard of a bunch over the years. People assume Service Shops know everything about everything. But what the the shops don't understand is that our unique vehicles are pretty much unique in every way and don't follow the same rules as "the norm".

Totally agree! 

A local smart owner took his '05 diesel in to a local shop for an oil change .. The mechanic is second to none when working on NA cars (he drag races and maintains his own vehicles) but when it was "suggested" by me (a non-mechanic) that the smart took less than 3 full litres of oil, I was basically dismissed as a person without a clue.  He proceeded to put 4 litres in the car and gave it back to the owner.  For the next several days, this owner had oil all over the back of his car and couldn't find any leaks.  Eventually, he was convinced to take it to our local smart guru.  The guru drained out over 3½ litres out of his car.  Fortunately, there was no lasting damage to the engine and it never dripped again.

1 person likes this

Lucky you - here we're not permitted to wash cars at the moment.  Water shortage, happens every summer.

I washed mine too. The most dry and sunny summer here since records began yet still no hose ban. 

Going to wash mine Sunday morning.  Driest part of the UK, no hose pipe ban.  We are a small is,and surrounded by the ruddy stuff.

Ha, I'm on my own well so screw anyone who says no washing etc etc....lol
I'll be washing mine tonight ready for long drive tomorrow.
And yes no different this side of the pond, I can guarantee you that!  So many morons to put it politely!   I happen to be married to one...if it starts and drives it must be good to go!

1 person likes this

i let the rain wash mine ...unless its winter then i give it a few pressure washes on the warmer days 

in the last 20 minutes (after reading Tolsens post about how to bleed the filter) i went out ..jacked it up and dropped the fuel filter to check for water

i did not find any ...fuel came out nice and clear not a drop of water (light was not on though it was just a test run because the person who bought my cabrio said their water light came on so i wanted to know how to bleed it)

its easier to do when the rear under cover is off ...a few winters back i had to thaw out my brake switch in -30c and the front cover got installed but i never did get around to replacing the rear one

Did my long journey, and the Turdis (so called because it's surprisingly big inside and smells of my farts) handled it with aplomb.  MPG on the last tank now up to 61.44 imp. I bimbked along white comfortably listening to Led Zeppelin on the stereo - its 5p years this month since they firet performed together, so us fans are calling this month Zepptember.

I am fed up of British motorists who seem incapable of observing a speed limit.  The sooner the price of domestic road fuel either gets these twats off the road or forces them to slow down, the better.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

LOL @ Turdis

2 people like this

Cleaned the Turdis today.  I'm a bit anal and she gets a wash and leather at least once a week, but first wash of each month she gets waxed, tyres dressed, glass treated with Rain X etc.  One of the nice things about the Smart is how little time it takes to clean it.

19 hours ago, Chopper said:

Cleaned the Turdis today.  I'm a bit anal and she gets a wash and leather at least once a week, but first wash of each month she gets waxed, tyres dressed, glass treated with Rain X etc.  One of the nice things about the Smart is how little time it takes to clean it.

Leather is bad for drying cars, itholds grit and can scratch. In B & M you can get a it microfiber towel for £2.50, much safer on the paintwork.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/rac-microfibre-towel-328650

1 person likes this

Been doing it 33 years, nary a scratch.  I make sure the car is properly clean before drying, leaving no material for a leather to move around.  I also use a very high quality synthetic leather.  Never suffered adverse effects such as hologramming.  The internet is full of guff, and that's a prime example.

Edited by Chopper

I poured in 88 grams of 4.5 mm steel BB ammo into my narrow front wheels.

14 minutes ago, tolsen said:

I poured in 88 grams of 4.5 mm steel BB ammo into my narrow front wheels.

What for

won't that at the least throw your wheel balance out.  Please explain the wisdom in doing this as it escapes me at this point.

Thanks Alan

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Henry said:

What for

won't that at the least throw your wheel balance out.  Please explain the wisdom in doing this as it escapes me at this point.

Thanks Alan

Dynamic balancing. In video below I balance an empty Tonic bottle. 

ive never tried them but balancing beads are supposed to be really good

they keep working regardless of grease globs on rims and rocks in tread...constantly adjusting to maintain balance

I guess dynamic wheel balancing is a lost art in Banchory ;)

Edited by MikeT