Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,487 posts in this topic

If you decide to go for it it's well worth doing the 450 1/2 bonnet mod st the same time.  Having access down there in seconds is well worth having.

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If you decide to go for it it's well worth doing the 450 1/2 bonnet mod st the same time.  Having access down there in seconds is well worth having.

Can you show me the attachment points for the 1/2  bonnet mod?  I like the idea also but worry about how secure it is afterwards....

Got any pics of them..?

1 person likes this

I'll take some pics when I next clean it. In essence it grips at all 4 corners, and along the entire lower edge.  Trust me, there ain't no way in Hades that it's ever coming off by accident.

1 person likes this

OK, started the front dismemberment..lol
what a frig'in chore it is to get the front panel off when using jack stands and it's the first time in a coon's age  seeing as 4 of the bolts snapped off, what excitement..!  Then had to make the tool that holds the shock piston from spining to get the top nut off the strut. Will be lowering the entire suspension unit as a whole then search for steering box and it's issues, can't be anything too hard to solve.  Then it'll be choping off the rear suspension from the swing arm and adding 2"  same as the front.   Fun continues tomorrow....

Will be reading how that front hood mod is done and the wiper mod tonight....sure is nice to work in a shop that isn't a sweat box for a change!  Makes you want to get things done!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Willys said:

what a frig'in chore it is to get the front panel off

I assume you mean the front belly pan??

4 minutes ago, smart142 said:

I assume you mean the front belly pan??

yes...lol....I even learned some new swear vocabulary...lol

I am now searching for the post which shows how to split the front hood...can't find it...augh! Have seen every other mod i can think of but that, any ideas?

I may need a hoist!

1 person likes this

Here you go...

To be fair, once the front panels are off and I could peer at their rear side I found it pretty obvious want ended cutting.  I used an angle grinder with a new slit disc on a low speed, but a Dremmel tool and some patience would probably do the job.

1 person likes this

Thanks, I had seen this post before but couldn't for the life of me find it.....my searching FOO must be busted...lol   I have a air powered recipricating saw that will make mincemeat of this job...lol

1 person likes this

Did a catectomy and a few other things to someone else's Smart today. Also did the wiper mod, very simple when the front clip is completely off...lol.  I also found out how to lower everything easily now regarding lifting the Smart 2"...yehaw!  Thursday I'll be buying the few incidentals I need to get it done. 
I had to weld on a large nut to undo a stripped torx head bolt today also...I HATE TORX!!!!  

I have a question about the stereo's in our cars,.....are they all the same as in speakers? The winter beater has the tweeters and normal speakers in the front dash. BUT when cranked sound far better than my regular Smart. IF the car has the tweeters does that mean it has better mid range speakers also?   If so, there will be another trip to the junkyard soon!

I have seen pics of many 450's with the wiper mod done and I think it looks sorta cool.  Is it even possible to do a similar wiper mod on a 451?

13 minutes ago, 1983JZR3W said:

I have seen pics of many 450's with the wiper mod done and I think it looks sorta cool.  Is it even possible to do a similar wiper mod on a 451?

It was so simple, as in simply turning the arm that attaches onto the wiper motor half a rotation on the shaft and tighten back up. So if you want take a look at the wiper motor and see how the arm attaches to it and if there is room to rotate it 90 degrees and also if the wiper motor shaft has a rectangle shape to it or has two flat side which will allow it to be rotated 90 degrees. Then move it carefully to see how it moves, It makes sense that they would be designed the same simple way imho, BUT I haven't see a 451 to compare it with, so do your homework before starting the car with the wipers on the glass. You could try it and leave the wipers in the upright off the glass position and see maybe?  It all depends upon if that fist bar will interfere with anything.....in this new position....I think you should be able to carefully manually move it, maybe just be carefull not to destroy anything.

2 people like this

Thanks for the info, Willys.  I will see if it is possible on my car.

14 hours ago, Willys said:

I have a question about the stereo's in our cars,.....are they all the same as in speakers? The winter beater has the tweeters and normal speakers in the front dash. BUT when cranked sound far better than my regular Smart. IF the car has the tweeters does that mean it has better mid range speakers also?   If so, there will be another trip to the junkyard soon!

My 2005 had the standard 3" "Transistor Radio" speakers. Swapped them out with the under dash factory Speaker boxes with the stock 6" Speakers. Night and Day full range sound difference now.............considering what we're working with. :)

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Willys said:

It was so simple, as in simply turning the arm that attaches onto the wiper motor half a rotation on the shaft and tighten back up. So if you want take a look at the wiper motor and see how the arm attaches to it and if there is room to rotate it 90 degrees and also if the wiper motor shaft has a rectangle shape to it or has two flat side which will allow it to be rotated 90 degrees. Then move it carefully to see how it moves, It makes sense that they would be designed the same simple way imho, BUT I haven't see a 451 to compare it with, so do your homework before starting the car with the wipers on the glass. You could try it and leave the wipers in the upright off the glass position and see maybe?  It all depends upon if that fist bar will interfere with anything.....in this new position....I think you should be able to carefully manually move it, maybe just be carefull not to destroy anything.

Excellent news.  I did mine, no problem, then fine tuned the position by loosening the wiper arms themselves son their spindles and moving them fractionally.  Both now come to rest right on the black edge of the glass, only a mm or so from the A pillars.  Perfect.

Did you do the 450 1/2 bonnet mod too?

13 hours ago, Chopper said:

Excellent news.  I did mine, no problem, then fine tuned the position by loosening the wiper arms themselves son their spindles and moving them fractionally.  Both now come to rest right on the black edge of the glass, only a mm or so from the A pillars.  Perfect.

Did you do the 450 1/2 bonnet mod too?

No didn't do the 1'2 mod, yet, not sold on it yet. Spent the day working on a KLR 650,  now need some serious meds! I think I'm officially old!

I haven't tried my wipers yet even.....now i have the main part done I can fine tune them later easy enough.  They do not take much room of the window so very happy.

I now need to buy the materials to lift it, I think I'll make 2 kits at the same time and see if anyone wants to copy it once it's done.  It is a simple thing....to do.

Still waiting for my parcel from out west....augh!

This is more like what I did yesterday and just got a chance to post it now. Went over to Willys's because I couldn't take the drone of my muffler anymore and he had a new refurbished by himself personally he could exchange for it. This would be the first time for me that the bumper came off my smart and we go to know the car a little more intimately. She looked pretty good, few things that showed her age and that can be delt with at a later date. Now the droning has stopped and I'm estatic! Thanks Willys!

I also got a phone mount for my car and a decal for a little personality. That's it for now!

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, dynamomarl said:

This is more like what I did yesterday and just got a chance to post it now. Went over to Willys's because I couldn't take the drone of my muffler anymore and he had a new refurbished by himself personally he could exchange for it. This would be the first time for me that the bumper came off my smart and we go to know the car a little more intimately. She looked pretty good, few things that showed her age and that can be delt with at a later date. Now the droning has stopped and I'm estatic! Thanks Willys!

I also got a phone mount for my car and a decal for a little personality. That's it for now!

Glad I could help you out.....!    Also glad the muffler is what you were seeking...lol   I will play with your old muffler after getting my winter beater lifted and running. 

I have made half of the lift today, Tomorrow I buy the hardware for attaching the front lift blocks. The rest I'm going to either turn myself or see if there is a way to make them up at the massive hardware store, but i expect the lathe will be the answer. I also need to turn the steering shaft extender. Then turn the strut tower lift blocks. I need to see if my buddy who owns a machine shop has the hard rubber or similar material I can make these blocks out of.   Fun and Games.  The next thing then will be to go after starter and altenator before winter salt season can sieze them solid!

I also have to search out tires to buy to fit the new openings, maybe a 195/75-15 and work around that size somehow?  

1 hour ago, Willys said:

I need to see if my buddy who owns a machine shop has the hard rubber or similar material I can make these blocks out of.  

Hockey pucks?

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Hockey pucks?

Same sort of material but in long tube shape.....you simply cut to length and then machine to the shape you need.   Hockey pucks we used to use before they started selling it in the long sections, before they cut it up.....40 years ago...lol

Drove it in the rain for the first time since the vertical wiper mod.  No problems at all, everything sweet.  

Also filled up today - 71.1 MPG imperial is my reward for driving like a nun on sleeping pills and keeping the motor off boost, as aided my by new boost gauge.  Happy indeed with that.

1 person likes this

Had a slow painful start to the day....yep I'm old and damaged...lol..!

Went to get the materials to make the lift....and most was on sale...lol.  So far I have maybe less than $100 for 2 kits...lol.
Maybe tomorrow will start better.....augh!

The best or I will say the lowest I have gotten my average fuel consumption is 2.9 litres per hundred killometers driven....I'm thinking that might be good......only done it once for maybe 20 minutes...can't see being able to maintain it that's for sure!

It would be faster to push it up hill...!...lol

That's great news about the wiper mod....you said you adjusted the wipers so they sat at a better location while up, did that mean they came very close as they got to the bottom? I know they get really close when they get to the lower position....lol   I noticed the dew splattering up the windshield when I started out yesterday coming off the wipers, so I am waiting to see how it acts in the other upright position.

Edited by Willys
1 person likes this

When I first did the mod the right hand wipe just kissed the inside of the left one on the way down.  I adjusted the other one fractionally on it's spindle, and call was restored.

Discovered something veerrryyyy interesting.  Cleaned the car today. Washed and weathered the outside.  Did the inside.  Went back outside and nicer a load of water on the scuttle under the screen.  But where it it come from?

Then the penny dropped.

Opened the door and closed it while watching the screen, and sure enough some water spurted out.  Carefully pried out the external weatherstrip and discovered a length about 8 inches long where the screen wasn't sealing.  Dried it out, pumped the gap full of PU adhesive, parked it up to dry in the garage being careful to close the door with the window open.  Don't use silicone for this - as it cures it excretes water and acetic acid, which are hugely destructive to the steel.  Use a PU adhesive such as Sikaflex or Tiger Seal.

So I may have discovered the mechanism which causes 450 screens to leak with age - constant pulses of air pressure flexing the screen against it's adhesive over years and years.  I may try and sort vent out a cabin vent of some kind to help equalise pressure when closing the doors.

2 people like this