Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,564 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yes i found that one a while back, it isn't for our vehicle, and they do not return messages....the part numbers are exact, no messing around as there are thousands i bet if not more different part numbers in use. all meaning something different.  
Somewhere I read that bosch had coded their laonger part number so it stays in house so to speak.....wonder why when it's easy to repair and they charge huge for the service, a bit like the STAR machine!
Thank you anyway. much appreciated.

1 person likes this

Search and Rescue callout last night.  Drove back in weather conditions akin to a tropical storm - very high winds, torrential rain, heavy deposits in the underpants.  The Turdis was a handful to drive in such conditions but was otherwise fine.  I found a truck driver taking things carefully and sensibly, so I tagged on about 30 metres behind him and took my time.

The Turdis was filthy this morning, so has had a quick was and leather.  Also replaced the bulbs in the registration plate lamps.  The retaining clips promptly broke on each of them, but I was expecting this so refitted each one with a stainless self tapper. Used Led bulbs, 39mm festoon fitting with 6 x SMD Leds on each.  They fit and work a treat.

Wash and leather, haven't heard that saying for years!   I used to wash windows after thatcher put 1/3 the country out of work way way back, started my own window cleaning business.....it was lucratic for a while added to the dole...lol.   As for the leather aspect here in Canada yes you can get them, but I have seen maybe less than a handful actually doing it. Usually old English gents detailing their classic MG's or similar. I found a squeegie works very well in place of it and much faster. Nowhere near as good but acceptable.  Wash the whole car well, then simple squeegie it dry. I then rainX all glass and then use old rainXed rag to wipe car down and it help with rain drops the next time.  I have leaned not to apply rainX directly to any plastic as it stains it or melts it. It is buffable but takes hours to repair damage! Just as a heads up. and before someone tells me it's not designed for plastics....I know....augh!

There is a sweet spot behind trucks where the air is peacefull, works well. Every now and then I slide over so the driver can see I'm still there and safe as most get seriously pissed when they loose sight of you.

Changed to snow tires on the Grandstyle.

Actually Glenn helped me change to snow tires.

Ok, ok..... I watched Glenn change to snow tires.

But I watched very well !!

1 person likes this

Fitted the rear panels, nice and orange :)

Started to prep and paint fronts but it's slow so I installed a new (to me) flappy paddle steering wheel, just need it activating now.

1 person likes this

Cleaned up my new spare wheel, placed it in a spare wheel bag with a Land Rover bottle jack, and managed to (just) tuck the lot out the way vertically behind the passenger seat.

Result for me.  Walking to the village for the remembrance day parade, all ponced up in my medals, Mrs Chopper says if I take retirement next year I can have a new car.  Now, I wasn't planning to retire for a few more years, but I'm eligible for my occipational pension on then8th April 2019 and do rather fancy a 453 ED...

3 people like this

Went to visit @tolsen

today to see if he could activate my paddles, unfortunately this couldn't be don't but a big thanks Tolsen for trying to help a fellow smartie out. Very much appreciated   :)

1 person likes this

Reinstalled my cleaned and rebuilt so to speak injectors, no vibration, yet...lol...no smoke.. STAR  says the ballance is far better number wise, so I think it'll be good to go, no leaks,..reattached the headliner in a redneck way....scrapped off the old dead foam and then simply used clear silicon to adhere it to the roof panel...I do not care what it looks like, it's a beater.  Hopefully tomorrow it'll get chilly outside and a run down the road without issue.  Fingers crossed.

I installed a 4 socket cig lighter adapter into summer car seeing as I have so many things that seem to want that style plug in.  Function over perfect looks, but not bad...lol.

Edited by Willys

Pulled up at work, and the moment I stopped smoke was billowing everywhere.  I didn't fancy going up myself in a plastic coffin, so I nanfully grabbed the extinguisher and rolled to the floor.

Luckily, there was no fire.  Oil seemed to be dribbling from the filler cap and down in the exhaust, where the heat was making the smoke effects.  Cap was done up tight and looked ok, although the seal had taken in a set against the ridge on the filler neck.

I took the cap up to the office and cleaned it up.  I then removed the seal and turned it around, and refitted it so it was presenting a smooth mating surface.  Drove home and, touch wood, all seems well.  I may start shopping for a new cap.

Edited by Chopper

Today's fun.....took beater for a 2 1/2 hour drive country side and city driving. It drives perfectly with it's 2" lift kit, the good news. It also goes well performance wise....has good pick up and acceleration. BUT that damned vibration is still there. I looked at the engine mounts before taking it out. They seem fine, not ripped or cracked. No I didn't pry on them seeing as they looked good. I haven't looked at the crank sensor yet...? It vibrates only in two circumstances, just as you apply fuel as it's moving forward, and then again as you shift down before it gets into the next gear. I don't have fuel pressure problems so the STAR is telling me.  So I am assuming the fuel pump is working correctly seeing as it'll do 130kph and accellerate correctly. The altenator is charging correctly also. It could feel like something is siezing and the belt is grabbing...?   But why in these two times only? It idles perfectly, no vibration at all, I can place a coffee cut there and it doesn't dance away. The injector numbers are all good also. I have swapped injectors to multiple holes to make sure. I haven't done the drain back test yet, or ohm check seeing as I can't get to the injector without removing them again. too tight of a space for my meter. 
So any ideas? EGR is hooked up but not in play, bloclked off, water lines rerouted, and pipe installed to replace EGR....EGR is there simply to be pluged into for computer to see IF that was the issue? Didn't chance from my emulator, so left it in just to keep computer happy until i solve the vibration issue. Oh, I have had both forward computers apart to check all solder points and connections, all like new.

Thoughts?

Tomorrow is another day...lol.