Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,608 posts in this topic

Did front break pads and changed the fuel filter.  When I had the belly pan off I found a ground wire (green with yellow) that had come off its loop.  Its loop was fastened down as a ground to the cross member that runs from side to side under where the front and rear belly pans meet and about 1/3 of the way in from the left side.

I reconnected it but have no idea what it is for.  Nothing new happens and I once again hate electrical issues.  Does anybody know what this ground is for?

1 person likes this

IF you have your belly pans off still go get yourself some 1/2" pipe insulation and a few zip ties and cover the coolant lines with it to keep the heat  in them longer for the heater during the winter.  That ground was under the driver's floor....right or the front of the driver's seat area. I saw it also when i did my pipes etc.......I think they simply take all local grounds and join them together and make these grounding locations all over the vehicle.....IT would really be nice to have a basic wiring diagram wouldn't it.....just a simple easy to follow, here's the ground locations as we know they will all sooner or later screw you over type message with schematic type thing...lol  You can also block off half the radiatior without issue for winter use, so I have found out.....it never gets above the 3rd bubble...in my beater.

Willys  thanks for the insulation idea.  That had never occured to me.  I have been only getting 2 blobs since the start of Oct even with 1.25 hrs of driving at 80+ kph at a time.  I have reminded myself of Uncle Buck being all bundled up to head to and from work.  Add the second thing to the to do list.

The root cause is a faulty thermostat.  But insulating the pipes may help a little.

Tolsen has a thread on everything you need to know about the coolant/heating system of the smart along with some custom mods that you might want to look up.

But I agree with MikeT, if you're not warming up even on highway speed, then you have a thermostat issue. My old smart was able to hold 3 blobs in -30C while driving...only when idling does it drop in those temperature.

Well after hours and hours installing the Christmas lights and ending up buying 3/4s of them again due to corrosion and dead plugs I managed to install black/grey inner door panels and solid pockets. I must say I like them far more than stained yellow.....that just forces me to now go back to wrecker and buy the dash too!  IF the price is right....l We'll see who needs what the most...lol.  I can always take the same dash out of my beater and install it in the yellow car and then fabric paint the yellow dash for the cost of a spray can of paint!  Hmmmm....Maybe the best way to go...!

Wednesday drove the Grandstyle west from London to Sarnia on Hwy 402, which is mostly a straight east/west run.

Had a direct headwind from the west of 30km/hr gusting to 50 and the Scangage showed a 5.4 l/100km end result.

Thursday drove back west to east with the same prevailing west winds of 30 gusting to 50. 

Ran 105 km/hr on cruise (GPS) with the same heater settings both ways.  The return trip result was 3.1 l/100km.

Without getting into the Scangage accuracy and other variables, it shows a real testament to aerodynamics, or lack of.

I recall getting much better mileage on the return leg of both my trips to the west coast in my ‘05 Passion and Canada1.

The first totalled 11,000 kms with a final fuel average of almost exactly 4 l/100km (fuel used / mileage logged).

The Scangage showed almost the same daily numbers as calculated with pen & paper.

I don’t have a point here, other than the profound affect that headwinds have on out little cars.

We notice it more, going from great to so-so mileage.  Joe Pickup doesn’t, going from s**tty to really s**tty mileage.😊

Got it's MOT on Monday - annual government roadwortimess test - so gave it a clean, checked tyres, lights, horn, chucked in a double dose of injector cleaner, visually inspected brakes, shocks for leaks, etc etc etc. Im as sure as I can be that it'll pass, but I guess I'll know soon enough. 

Fault the MOT, broken front spring.  £188 to repair (other side looks like it had been recently replaced already) and it passed the retest without even a minor fault.

Posted (edited) · Report post

After getting my 16" rims and tyres together, Finally my long awaited spacers came, But it is all good.:) One  change down 3 more to go.  

Edited by Wild!

Finally got the dark grey dash in my yellow car with the upgraded speaker system from the winter beater.....all I can say is WHAT a DIFFERENCE....!    WOW...!    I'll forget buying speakers for the car and simply enjoy this set.....good enough. Even has good base...
I also painted the yellow dash and installed it into winter car so it too has a nice new looking matt black dash, didn't even use a can of paint...!   Just simple matt Black rattle can from Princess Auto....lol.....fast drying too.!  The winter car also has it's ESP kill switch installed. Installed the new SAM and speedo computer. Next is to finish installing the ECU and check all wiring to be 100% sure it's OK.  It will need to be retrained to agree with this car from what I understand and also get a few extra keys made for it. 

I also got my eporm reader in the mail today, amazing what being forced back to work can do to the postal issue.   I'm actually getting mail besides junk mail!

So now i can get the safe code for my second radio for the winter beater.   Life is good.

Have the thermostat 80% done.  I just need to tighten down 1 of the bolts, finish changing the coolant and burp it.  Not bad for giant sandwich eaters working on an engine that was not lowered.  Hopefully I will have more heat tomorrow.

Our Canada 1 BRABUS is being driven all winter to Nanaimo and back, salt brine, rain, whatever.  She's getting to the age where she's not worth much other than as a car to use :lol:.  She'll get a good cleaning soon but my cars are all working cars, well except the 404C.

Finished the thermostat today.  Holy crap does it ever make heat..  3 blobs for tempature and hot enough that I needed to turn the heat way down then needed to turn the fan off.

Placed rear end on axle stands and removed alternator.  Took just 1 hour total.

Forgot to state, removed tow bar (takes less than one minute), air intake at side, rear panels, dropped subframe and removed right hand side wheel arch liner too and both alternator splash guards.  It is surprising how easily the rear wheel arch liners come off when subframe is dropped.

MOT now passed, so celebrated by a thorough clean, wax, dress the tyres etc.  Fitted a new dual band VHF/UHF transceiver that I'm looking forward to playing with.

I've removed the bike rack.  I'm giving the eyelets and washers as clean up and a spray with zinc/aluminium paint before refitting, get everything shiny and protected before the worst of Winter hits.

And finally, fitted the full lower grille block, see how she does.

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Placed rear end on axle stands and removed alternator.  Took just 1 hour total.

You seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble with your cdi.  Alternator gone?

16 minutes ago, MikeT said:

You seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble with your cdi.  Alternator gone?

Only after 16 years but have a cheap fix planned. See my posts under 450 repair and maintenance. 

As most/some of you know, the passion cabriolet I rescued this summer ended up getting sold to a friend's son..... and the dad has meticulously re-worked the entire engine compartment, including: an intercooler fix, EGR delete, new water pump, free-wheeling alternator pulley, new turbo cartridge, waste gate servicing (made it operational in the end!!), intercooler scoop fabricated and installed, as well as a massive clean-up of basically everything in sight.....

I saw it today and here's a few pics!

IMG_20181210_131302304.jpg

IMG_20181210_131311348.jpg

IMG_20181210_131318118.jpg

IMG_20181210_131324876.jpg

1 person likes this

The only credit I get, is rescuing the car from an inoperable state, and getting it going well enough to determine it was indeed worth the effort. At 200k nearly, it has a good engine and decent transmission, and is a loaded passion model with upgraded wheels!

It will hopefully be a very nice example of an updated and fully serviced car as his son graduates from L to N in BC, and can drive on his own by the new year.

Any smart closing in on 160-200 km needs about as much attention as this one received, and my kudos to Dwayne for sticking with it and getting it to a really good operating condition!!!

1 person likes this

Torx this and torx that, it was a wee bit much for me to be honest, but I happily gave up my oil extractor and advised on the 'how-to' as far as that goes.... :)

Am I seeing it right...???   He forgot to block off the EGR plate, but nice job besides....Love a clean dry engine.