Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,628 posts in this topic

I found a couple photos on e-mail.... he had this to say: "I got a block off plate with the egr emulator but I decided to weld it shut as it’ll never leak that way. I put an Allen head bolt in the hole and welded around it."

egrdelete1.jpg

egrdelete2.jpg

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, smartzuum said:

I found a couple photos on e-mail.... he had this to say: "I got a block off plate with the egr emulator but I decided to weld it shut as it’ll never leak that way. I put an Allen head bolt in the hole and welded around it."

egrdelete1.jpg

egrdelete2.jpg

This is what i was going to do with mine also, but didn't want to risk  messing with the lower end of it. Plus wanted to be able to reverse it if necessary...?  But if you aren't using the pipe in any way as in shortening the water pipes I would think it's better to simply block off the block and not have this pipe sticking out in the firstplace. That will be my project after getting the whole system figured out once and for all. I think.

Quickly fitted my new DAB adaptor so I have digital radio in the car.  All in and working very well, just needs a tidy up to hide the cables etc.  It was only a cheap budget one, but I'm very impressed with the performance.

I have broken down and am stretching my lift system another 5 feet to be able to roll out the subframe and be able to work on it at waist hieght...hopefully no more bending. Today I got the lumber required, tomorrow I cut and screw it all together. Then the real fun starts. I'm sick and tired hopelessly searching for this vibration.  I hope to refurbish the entire drive unit to be able to trust it long term. At the moment i don't trust it for more than a 3 hour tour...lol  

Starter, Altenator, clutch, compression test and valves if required. Maybe a free wheeling pulley..? A complete going over.  So much for it being my winter beater for this season.!!!    AUGH!

OK, done deal, lift is extended and installed.....I also added a set of rails to the inside of the main lift section, so I can use a centre beam so to speak to be able to jack things between the framework. 
I also spent a few hours cleaning and welding up two fresh exhausts for buddy Glenn.....ready for their trip back home now.  Next will be rebuilding a front bumper to enable me to use a tow bar without worrying about it letting go on the highway etc.  I'll simply make up new plates and then strnger thicker tubes then weld original cross member between the new side tubes.  This will mean it'll retain some of it's crash crumple charactoristics but be far stronger as a pulling force.  I'll drill through the plates and frame and not rely on studs to hold the bumper on by using grade 9 or better nuts and bolts.

I'm doing my best to put off dropping that subframe, can you tell...lol

ICBC damage estimate: $1500.  Also I discovered one rear tire was very low and the carcass is probably shot!  Woo-hoo!

The carcass is NOT shot!  WOO HOO!!

After work, I whipped the grille out, dug out the remains of the Michalak fog light holder and the light, assessed the damage (the front panel has some severe cracking behind the grille), replaced both fog lights with new ones that are held on with laser cut stainless steel holders, temporarily attached the left side of the front plate frame to the front panel again and then tidied up.  The car looks more presentable again and the fog lights work.

Coachwerks - who restored my 404C for several tens of thousands of $ - will do the collision repair in the early part of next year.

The right front fender will be replaced with a green one I have (the car was green/black to begin with).

Cleaned it, checked the lights and levels, tucked it in the garage for the duration of the Christmas holiday.  I'm not going anywhere unless theres a search and rescue call out, and if there is I'll take the Kia.

Well, didn't do anything but add fuel and drive it Ottawa, averaged 80MPGs and cost me 3 blobs in fuel...lol....Damn I love this car!  Rain and foggy all the way.....on the way back they are calling for freezing rain and snow......should be an exciting ride with my mother who is lets say not the best passenger at the best of times...lol    Maybe i need to buy some ear plugs for the ride home...lol.

The bidet (rear wash wipe lol) decided it was not going to spray fluid. So checked the level first... all good, then squirted and saw a puddle around the offside rear. So after ripping out the rear wheel arch liner and finding nothing I found out there is a connection of both hose and cables accessable from the rear light bulb access, remade the pipe connection and all was restored.

I did however have the rear wheel off and thought I would try a brabus wheel... Looked really great but as the et is -1 they stick out at least 25mm at the front of the tyre. So it looks like there's a set of brabus 16" alloys up for sale soon, I'm gutted :(

1 person likes this

yep, one fitted to the rear is shot so I had already bought 2 replacements.

they are in need of a refurb which is why I bought them, as a winter project, to polish them back up.

1 person likes this

Started into a list of repairs yesterday , Disassembled the rear body etc enough to remove the EGR ( Delete pipe and block plate already fabricated) removed intercooler fan to access the intercooler to repair the leak in it. Todays plans are to weld up the cracked exhaust manifold and hopefully et the intercooler fixed. I'll be curious to see the improvements in power and efficiency once this is complete.  

1 person likes this

So I completed the repairs and got out for a rip. With the intercooler repair and others done the car went immediately into limp mode once out of my drive. I'm assuming that the previously done tweaks have caused an over boost , mostly due to the fact that right up to the governor spot it pulls harder than ever and when idling there is a now loud whistle from the turbo suggesting my current setting is a bit much. Day is done now, I'll sleep on it and play a bit more tomorrow...

1 person likes this

Received a new year gift for my old Smart Cabrio. Brand new stainless exhaust. Arrived 7 pm today from Germany. 

1 person likes this

Drivers door handle getting granchy and intemittently wont allow the door to close.  New cable, £19 from the local Merc dealers. Used ones on StealBay cost nearly as much, so a new one ordered.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

Drivers door handle getting granchy and intemittently wont allow the door to close.  New cable, £19 from the local Merc dealers. Used ones on StealBay cost nearly as much, so a new one ordered.

I was having the same problem with my doors.  I gave both mechanisms a through spraying with crown rust inhibitor and everything works great now. Fix was immediate and cost between 10  to 15 cents per door.

Lonnie

Edited by Thegorillabear
Clarified meaning
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Thegorillabear said:

I was having the same problem with my doors.  I gave both mechanisms a through spraying with crown rust inhibitor and everything works great now. Fix was immediate and cost between 10  to 15 cents per door.

Lonnie

Mine were doing the same thing, not feeling nice when opening as if it had grit in the cables.....flushed with WD40 then rust checked the daylights out of them, perfect now.

I'm still walking around like an old man who can't bend over....so no work on my beater yet.....I was hoping to have it almost done by now.  Sucks to get old and decrepid.....herniated discs...gotta lov'em.  I haven't been this bad for years....but still hoping to fetch tires  soon.....

Solved the "Limp" mode issue. It was the EGR delete that caused it. I temporarily plugged it back in and Zip tied it in place in the minimal amount of extra space bellow the engine lid and went for a test run... Ureka! it worked!  Now just to order an EGR emulator and/or remap the computer then re tune boost and oder some gauges to keep track of all this a little more accurately ;) my "Jester" didn't come with much for gauges. No tach, no boost , just temp,speed,fuel. 

Happy New Year All!! 

1 person likes this

Have left my new stainless steel exhaust outside exposed to rain to confirm whether indeed it is Edelstahl as the German seller stated in his eBay listing. 

1F33ED10-6087-4FCF-B09C-E0C11D513A4B.jpeg

This exhaust is certainly not made out of austenitic stainless steel as a magnet sticks to it. Must be some substandard German Nazi grade of Edelstahl. 

On a more positive note no sign of rust forming yet after 24 hour exposure to the wet.

New door handle cable arrived today.  Checked the job out on Evilution. Not difficult, but door dismantling is a ballache.  Got a run of 4 says off work coming up the end kf next wee so I've pencilled it in for then.  It'll probably take all 4 of them! :lol:

Since seeing it on Evilution I've also a strange urge to paint my driveshafts blue for no reason that I can fathom.  I'll probably ly give in to that urge in the morning.

1 person likes this

It's been a horrendous start to 2019 for "Jester" so far. Hit an unbelievably large chunk of ice/slush that fell from a truck on the 401 heading to work Thursday that nearly took me off the road and did damage to the front end. Fixed that issue over the weekend then today got stranded 5 mins from work in Toronto( 200kms from home) with the 3 bars of death that wouldn't self correct so Auto club towed me home. 
  Once home in my shop I discovered the clutch actuator rod had punched through the clutch fork. So I grabbed a 1/2" nut and welded it to the rod and made it a shoulder to stop the poke through. Re taught the tranny and went for a test run. The car is shifting better than ever now! A temporary fix till new parts can be ordered, but I'm on the road again after only a missed day of work and a couple hours tinkering. ;)

IMG126.jpg

IMG125.jpg

1 person likes this

Drove mine to headquarters this morning because I'm on a training day...parked next to a lovely W453, black tridion with satin grey panels.