Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,834 posts in this topic

Yes the charge for using that light for anything other than regulated uses is not a pretty sum even here. Our mailmen or is that mail people...?   Who knows now a days...lol..?   Any way they use their own cars and have them on for frequent stopping purposes.  I see the use for sure......the Smart might not be the fastest vehicle to use for a fire again person to get to the firehouse fast enough to catch the fire truck before it leaves the building...lol

WOW....! Great price...I agree, when you add the cost of good parts in these good deal cars...it's hard not to pick them up.

It's a no brainer. Was out for a couple highway runs in the last few hours. Nice and warm here. No issues with the code P0900 again, so far anyway. Still planning for actuator removal, servicing, reinstall and then a relearn, although will paint the mounting points so I can reinstall precisely where it was and drive right away.

My next item to confirm is that the radiator fan is working - not wanting to leave that to chance.

I have been eyeballing the temperature on the scanguage seeing as it is in the car, and the temp here is quite warm (almost 30c) - and it's normally cycling between 184 and about 193 F when moving, but can get a bit over 200 at idle. I do NOT have AC, so the fan cannot be forced to come on. I think it will only come on when the cars hits 213F - but that is just some info I gleaned from here: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/radiator-fan-not-coming-clean-relay-socket-54441/index3.html#post645713 It's posted by someone who appears to know what they are talking about, so it's probably right.

Assuming that is the case, I will have to let it idle a bit longer and watch the SG closely. I don't like those temps, but that's still a long way from 240F where stuff brakes. Apparently the idiot light in the car only comes on at 244F!!! Basically telling you that you've already over-cooked your turkey! I will be installing the SG more permanently now, just have to decide where to place it. I am using the smaller 'e' version for the car which is sufficient for what I need. Just two gauges instead of four. I think I have one of the 4 gauge models somewhere as well, and one I can return for warranty replacement. Stopped selling these about 3 years ago. I think I sold more than 1000 all told!

As soon as I determine that the fan is working (or not, if it isn't) - then I will set about to replace the coolant. If I determine the fan is not working after all potential issues, I will consider putting in a universal fan on the front side and re-using the wiring. A lot cheaper, and less work. And since I do not have AC, I can potentially get even better cooling ability. Not that I am 'hoping' to do this. Just getting prepared in case.... :)

Still need to sort out the dragging type noise on the drivers side front wheel. Not today! I'm going to call it good for the weekend now.

you've already over-cooked your turkey!      LMFAO...!!!!!

Love it.....and yes I hate those sorts of numbers and no-one can convince me they are good for anything but cooking turkey's with!   I had this very same crap from the bike forums years ago...I like cooler running engines closer to the thermostat opening or slightly higher levels......not cooking temps.lol.

But you'll always get the people who demand a constant temp running engine for thermal cycling issues etc etc etc and bark for ages up that tree....to each their own.   I'd be installing a manual switched fan just in case....if it were mine IF this is a known issue.  I do not know?  But an over cooked turkey is expensive no matter what brand you buy...lol.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, smartzuum said:

One of the next things I plan to do, is get the hazard light removed, but I will need to either replace the top part of the hatch altogether, or, be prepared to do somethings else to cover up the holes, etc....

The switch was located in the boot - made the wiring easier I suppose.

Maybe I should see if I can change out the light for spinning 'winding key' like the car a few posts back of this one!! LOL (If there was such a thing, I would probably do it!!)

That, or a spinning helicopter blade and a vanity plate that says 'GADGET'.  

I made the wind up key using 1" pipe fittings them made to top key head part from body metal.

Bottom plate is to be screwed to a wall, deck etc.

Spray painted it silver then clear coated.

The pipe and key head just unscrews if I want it off

Could use the same stand to put on a helicopter blade as well.

Or make one of each and swap em out.

Silly Willy - don't be an alarmist!

https://www.evilution.co.uk/info/coolant_temperature_concerns.htm

A bit over 200F is well below the boiling temp of the coolant in a smart 451, and is within range. The diesel is for sure a cooler running engine unless you are towing a trailer up the Malahat! :)

I simply noted the temp because I had pulled out the scangauge to diagnose the P0900 code! But coolant is on my list to change out, I just want to be sure the fan is indeed coming on at the temp MB has spec'd it to do so.... (before I change out the coolant...)

I'm not trying to re-engineer the car!

Just going through key items before I take this car out on a longer road trip.

Not today, but yesterday.  I took the '06 cabrio in for it's "B" service.  Tire condition and pressure, battery, brakes, oil, filter all lights and much more checked or done by the amazing Uncle Glenn.

I looked at the brake discs and they looked close to brand new.  No deep gouging on them at all.  The battery is the original and still starting the car just fine.  Clean bill of health all the way around.  Not bad I suppose since the smart has just over 73,000kms. on it.

Photo #1 - Original muffler .. almost 100% rust free

Photo #2 - Nice shiny disc.

001.JPG

004.JPG

Looking good!

I just got back from a road trip in my 'other' Mitusbishi (Outlander), so I will put the bonnet back on the 451 and get it out'n'about for a bit. Top off the tank with some Chevron 94 and get a fuel economy reading from the previous (and first) fill I have done. I usually splash blend regular 87 and Chevron 94 in a 451 - so as to get more or less 91 average which is cheaper than buying a full tank of 91, and I get better fuel by buying the ethanol free Chevron 94 as well.

Drove mine today, for a change.  I went shooting, and people kinda get upset if I cycle to the range with a rifle strapped to my back, so in the Smart I went.

Weather was quite warm, so got to use the intercooler spray.  Works very, very nicely indeed.  I'm as happy as a frog in a puddle.

Changed my brake discs first time in twelve years. They were getting thin measuring only 7.5mm thick which is 0.5mm below the minimum. 

2C22FEEE-F644-479C-B60E-6B237C3850D1.jpeg

The new pair of discs only cost me £22, pads included. Decided not to renew pads at this time as still a few mm remaining before they are worn down to the backing plates. 

1 person likes this

Of course I never bother cleaning off the protective grease on new discs. Took the Smart for a quick spirited drive testing and bedding in the brakes. Passed the annual motor vehicle test shortly after with flying colours. Was told my Smart still looks like new underneath. All rust well hidden behind tons of black bitumen. 

2 people like this

I'm very lucky that mine seems very clean underneath, not rust on the trid, very little on the suspenders and subframe.  With the low mileage etc I think it may have well been a summer car before i acquired it, and spent winter tucked up in a warm garage somewhere.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just received the Chopper Express Royal Mail delivery.....excellent packaging, no chance what's inside could get damaged in any shape or form. Well done and thank you.   
Great service from a great fellow member of this site. Couldn't ask for more.
Again thank you.

Now to order more parts...lol.

But first back to fencing, I have to undo and lower wire fencing after last year's frost .....or the little buggers will escape.....can't have that or they'll never stay in the yard. Only an acre....I'm half way done.  Not as young as I thought....lol.

Edited by Willys

Enjoy! You probably have the only set of poly engine mount inserts in all of Canada!

2 people like this

Changed out the dead CR2016 in one of the 451 keys yesterday, and it works like new.

Found my new air filter for the 451 today. Took the 'old' one out to check it, and was very pleased to find it had been done very recently as it was practically new.... so, back on the shelf! I also found a new Mobil 1 M-108 oil filter - so I now have three filters on the shelf, two new copper washers for the drain, and an air filter. Should be good for a very long time...

Next up is the front brake cleaning, possible pad replacement, coolant change and the actuator servicing/relearn. I should do plugs and maybe a couple other minor things - have to make a list once I review the service requirements further.

Gave the 451 a quick hose down, and cleaned up the engine compartment sufficiently so that it doesn't look so dusty!

Ran the car long enough to get the Scangauge to read 213F coolant temperature, and voila, on came the fan for about 45 seconds which brought the temp down to 198F. All is working as it was engineered to do so. No issues here.

1 person likes this

Finally got weather to co-operate and allow me to finish preparing "Bruised" for it's estivation. (summer version of hibernation) ... The Cabrio is now on the road for the balance of the warm weather days.

Smart (Bruised) under a tree.jpg

2 people like this

Drove to work expecting to go onwards to Coventry for SAR training afterwards, but traffic was nose to tail so went home instead.  A double pisser, as I could have cycled if I weren't intending to training :(

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

SAR dog training?

Nah, I'm a search manager, so I run the whole shebang on a search.  

Topped up Dumpling's oil today, and washed off the nasty amounts of pollen he collected while driving me to work. I also washed and conditioned the rubber seals under his hood, which lead me to the realization that for some reason, water from the tray that collects water beneath the windshield drains INTO the area beneath the hood. I'm looking at where it's dripping and there's wires there and stuff which makes me think that's probably not where it's supposed to go? There's two drainage channels, and one clearly has a dedicated drain pipe, while the other just... drips into the open space beneath the hood. =/ I don't want to run him to Mercedes again...

Also, Chopper, new XC90, huh?

Edited by Mallory

Going to give mine a top to bottom clean and wax today, enjoy the sunshine.

Mine is a cabrio, and when I got the car the roof bars were scabby a the corners.  I hastily rubbed them down and vinyl wrapped them and they looked good, but aren't wearing well due to using cheap vinyl that I happened to have knocking about.  Going to re wrap them with better quality vinyl today.

Took the C1 out of a day trip to Abraham Lake. A few muddy gravel roads to Crescent Falls as well. Gorgeous weather...but a very windy drive all the way there from Edmonton. Gas mileage was avg 4.3L/100km.

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

Edited by stickman007
2 people like this

High Rocky mountains....normal