Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

That's some addiction you have !!

I painted and fitted eyebrows to Marcie, she looks a little meaner now :thumbsup_still:

1 person likes this

Went and picked up $1800 worth of fireworks for Canada day show at the campground.

Guess I can call it a Smart bomb now.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, BWM said:

Went and picked up $1800 worth of fireworks for Canada day show at the campground.

Guess I can call it a Smart bomb now.

No smoking!!

Well I finally got me some bubble wrap in the mail....lol.....Boat must have docked yesterday....yah right...lol

I got me a brand new oil drain pan with a threaded hole with a plug in it....!   A real oil pan....no more sucking BS for this old timer.  I like it in the stone age...lol

Wonder what'll show up next...?

Knackered rear window cut out with a scalpel.  A sheet of 3mm UV resistant polycarbonate bonded in with Sikaflex, and a number of small, black pop rivets.  Looks good.  I'll do a photo when all is dry and I can wipe off the fingerprints.

Downside is I can't have the roof all the way down, but that's no heaeache for me as I tended to just roll the too back and leave it there anyway.

1 person likes this

20190704_111442.jpgThe finished article.  Still needs a wipe down, and I'm planning to tint it to match the side windows - if I'd thought it through I'd have done that before fitting the window.  Duh.  Neat, tidy and weatherproof for £11.

4 people like this

After experiencing this restaurant for the first time  (London's April meet), I revisited it with the same results.  Fantastic food and service.  A beautiful day for top-down touring.  Nice one hour (plus) drive in each direction. 

190704_001.jpg

1 person likes this

Instead of tint I nipped into town and bought a metre of Fly Eye.  £2.60.  Applied it to the inside of the "glass", and while it doesn't look quite as smart as applying it to the outside it certainly looks neater with all the edges hidden, etc.  It looks really rather good.  So, an effective and neat repair for under £15 all in.  Phew!

I like the cabrio, but as an old car buyer, driver and maintainer it's just something else to faff about with, so when I go the 451 route it'll definitely be a hard top.

My car, Spank, is in decent cosmetic condition.  The only exception is the scuffing on each corner from a previous owner who clearly struggled to drive an 8 feet long car.  They probably shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Anyway, today I start rubbing down and priming the damage, and then I'll get it off to a bodyshop to get the river silver properly matched and blown back in.

1 person likes this

At last! Found on a certain auction website that rhymes with Ebay a UK drivers side cabriolet rear light that isn't damaged and still has unbroken mounting pins. Only 30 quid too, so snapped that up !

2 people like this

Went to Service Ontario and got the licence plates swapped between my 2 Smarts.

The plate ‘75 MPG’ is now on the Grandstyle, since I drive it more than the ‘05.

1 person likes this

oil, filter in the C-1.  10,000 km on the same stuff, didn't check the level but it was still OK - oil loss is minimal.  147,000+ km.

Took my daughter's 120 lb. puppy (Bull Mastiff cross) to the doggie park near St/ Thomas.  She loves the convertible.

Macy in the wind.jpg

1 person likes this

Finished priming and rubbing down 2 of the damaged wings. Just waiting for paint to arrive.

Finally got my engine mounts from Eddy....(3.5 weeks!!)

Anyways, swapped the 2 rear mounts right away and OMG, I'm not in a massage chair anymore! If anybody is thinking of adding polyurethane to their engine mounts, my advise is a definitely NO! Not worth it. Also turned up the turbo waste gate another turn and hope to get 16.7psi while the bumper was off. Will need to do an oil change tomorrow...had to give up working on Red Pxl tonight cause it was 30C in the sun.

1 person likes this

I think I should have a look at my mounts too.....the Mercedes blew one of its four engine mounts a while back.

1 person likes this

New light arrived.  Some light scratches, so I polished it up.  Now fitted, and looks splendiferous.  The Devil is in the detail.

Oil changed. Quartz Total 5w40 with Lucas Synthetic additive. Mobil1 M110 filter. At 115402km...I'm slowly catching up to you MikeT!

I did notice that there's a bit of slack when I tug on my timing chain a little harder...not a good sign, will keep an eye out on it.

1 person likes this

I forget, is the chain only tensioned by a spring, or is there also an oil pressure element to the tensioner?

Received the missing turbo manifold for my new turbo yesterday, so now have a brand new shiny unit to simply swap out and keep old unit as a spare.   Excellent service from seller after a slight hick-up at the beginning.....very happy to say the least.

1 person likes this

20190725_132242.jpgFirst bumper corner repainted.  Three to go... plus one wheel, and a sheet load of wet rubbing with 1500grit and a tanker load of polishing.  Be worth it when it's done though.

Edited by Chopper
3 people like this

Cooling system emptied, flushed, and refilled with long life coolant and bled.

Started rubbing down the next bumper corner.  The first one I painted looks amazing, so I can't wait to get them all done.

Took Red Pxl for a drive to Drumheller today...ran into some “fluttering” noise after a quick stop in Lacombe. SG2 revealed that the noise seems to be in sync with my boost. Drove to Red Deer anyways thinking that the turbo is probably it’s last leg even though it’s pretty new.

In the princess auto parking lot, checked the engine bay...no sign of anything out of ordinary. Checked the oil level...and it was way over the full line!! I’ve made a rookie mistake!! After years of warning others not to go past 3/4 on the dipstick, I’ve accidentally overfilled mine...by a lot! Not sure how that happened as I usually double check when I change my oil. Went into PA and picked up a new fluid extractor and pulled out ~300mL. With the oil at 3/4 now, the noise went away. Idiot!

Boosted up to 17.3psi going up the hill on hwy56 leaving Drumheller.

2 people like this

Finally got motor out of sub frame and started disassembly......forced to stop seeing I don't have T60 tool for head bolts. Did find some imperfections on lifters and rockers. All chains are in excellent condition thankfully. Injectors are absolutely filthy. Also managed to finally get the middle glow plug out, took a long time but far easier when engine is easily accessible. My turbo has a good amount of side to side movement, don't know how much is acceptable..?  If any....? I will say it's a good 1/16th" maybe more..? I do have a new turbo assembly ready, starter, alternator with clutch pulley, water pump and thermostat, reluctor rings.....EGR emulator.

Soon the hunt for new parts and the comparisn against the dealership's prices.....lol.
So far I will need a gasket set, seals,rockers and lifters, possibly nozzles, rings and pistons, maybe valves?

1 person likes this

If you can more than barely feel it, then the end float is too much.  A couple kf the guys in here have bought turbo cartridges from Aliexpress and the like and been successful, so it might not be too pricy to sort.