Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,873 posts in this topic

First wing corner polished.

Second wing corner painted.

3rd win corner rubbed down and scratches filled ready for priming.

need photos...

Will do when I roll it out into the sunlight.

Interesting times.  My Stepmum may be giving up driving when her licence expires in October, and my Dad has asked if I would like her car? It's a 2009 Volvo XC90 R Design 2.4D which they've owned from new, so we may be become a two XC90 household. Much as I adore my Smart I'm not going to say no to a free luxury SUV with a full Volvo dealer history.

But it's not certain yet.  Until then I'll treat the Smart as if I'll be keeping it, which means finishing the paint and doing the service this month.  If it does become certain then I'll probably stick it on eBay or something. We shall see.

Some updated pics of the new paint.

20190801_181532.jpg

3 people like this

On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 5:40 PM, stickman007 said:

Took Red Pxl for a drive to Drumheller today...ran into some “fluttering” noise after a quick stop in Lacombe. SG2 revealed that the noise seems to be in sync with my boost. Drove to Red Deer anyways thinking that the turbo is probably it’s last leg even though it’s pretty new.

In the princess auto parking lot, checked the engine bay...no sign of anything out of ordinary. Checked the oil level...and it was way over the full line!! I’ve made a rookie mistake!! After years of warning others not to go past 3/4 on the dipstick, I’ve accidentally overfilled mine...by a lot! Not sure how that happened as I usually double check when I change my oil. Went into PA and picked up a new fluid extractor and pulled out ~300mL. With the oil at 3/4 now, the noise went away. Idiot!

Boosted up to 17.3psi going up the hill on hwy56 leaving Drumheller.

oil catch can......just saying, lol

Well I finally decided to name my smart, I guess there is a first time for every thing.

Mine is called Smart. The Smartest car I have ever owned.  Has also been particularly reliable after I started doing servicing and maintenance myself. 

My convertible is Silverwing and the coupe is Bruised (because It is black and blue) :lol:

Met Tedder and his significant other this morning as they were chugging through on their way to Indiana.

Mr. Phat-fingers (AKA  me) took a photo for posterity and managed to chop off part of Ted's head.  Oh well.  What a pleasant couple.

Safe trip Tedder and thanks!

Smart - Tedder + 1.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finally got round to getting the oil filter adaptor fitted, and a change of 5w/40 synthetic.  I'm off work with a nacked shoulder so wasn't up to doing it myself, but an ex mechanic mate of mine did the deed under my watchful eye.

The oil filter adaptor was very tight once the threads were 2/3 on and the oil ring engaged (the seal was oiled up prior) but firm but steady pressure and it went on ok.  I'd rather a touch tight than a touch loose with something like that!

Mann oil filter went on, and with some trepidation I started it up.  Oil pressure light went out straight away, all seems good.  Once stopped I had to add about another 300cc of oi, atop the 3 litres I'd already metered in, so the filter gives an extra 10% oil capacity - better cooling, and the oil doesn't get to work too hard.  The Mann filter has an anti draining back valve, so theres the bonus of some oil being kept at the top end on start up.

Its win win win all around, and I'm glad it's done.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

Naming your Smart (cont).....

My ‘05 is Lil’Toot.  A loaded Passion coupe bought new June 2005

My ‘06 is CBert.  A Grandstyle cabriolet (#61) bought from club member Alberta Wood in Ilderton in 2017.

Named in remembrance of Alberta and her late husband Cliff.

Due to a family emergency I've had to do a 200 mile journey in the Smart.  With the oil filter conversion it's running like a dream.

I've changed to 5w/40, up from 30, and economy has radically improved.  I'm not home yet so I've not done the maths, but first bar didn't drop off the fuel gauge for 139 miles, whereas 100+110 is the typical norm.  I'm very pleased.

1 person likes this

Well after breaking the beater I have finally had the push or was that a slap in the chops to get my act in gear and get on with the summer car's rebuild.  So I have a completely disassembled power train, washed and labeled impatiently waiting to be delivered to machinist to be measured and made perfect.
So far as i can see it'll require a valve job, head surfaced, either a re-bore or re-ring, all bearings checked, new seals throughout, lifters but rockers seem to be OK...? Some wear on area where valve stems strike them.

So hopefully today is the day I can get this started. Now where did I put that box...hmmm..?     OK, recycling bin will do...lol...I'll tell wife later....lol.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Just make sure your parts don’t end up at the curb next week.

LMFAO....!!!!!

Well, it's been delivered.....and I was promptly told not to expect it back for a while.....AUGH....!    He said, see all those other boxed up dead engines lined up before yours...? I said yes, so what, we're buddies right.....?   Plus I'm also a paying customer this time...lol. He said don't hold your breath ......All i want is his experienced opinion on what it needs and if he can do it before the snow flies......sniff sniff....I'm not what you may call patient.....lol.   IF he can't do the machine work fast enough after he tells me what it needs i will take it somewhere else....perhaps...DAMN...is it ready yet...?    Wonder if I should call him tomorrow, or is that too soon...?

On 8/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, Nigel said:

Just make sure your parts don’t end up at the curb next week.

Well...I was informed i owe the wife a new blue box now seeing as it won't be back before the second coming of Christ!   OR in the same condition she last saw it......lol.