Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,903 posts in this topic

Yesterday I covered myself and the beater  in RustCheck.....ooooooo what a feeling...lol.   No need for hair gel...lol
Well today it's still dripping all over, not too bad now but dripping, which means it's crawling everywhere!  Great!  I just did the home style job, 5 cans sprayed everywhere i could get the spray hose into. That'll be just fine. I also sprayed under all the carpets as the beater has some rusting on the floor boards from years ago.    I'll just get a no smoking sticker to place on dash so it doesn't go up in flames...lol.

The other issue was....DO NOT buy a cheap ass-ed radio off Amazon as you will get what you paid for...IMHO...lol.  Yep I risked $29 on the junk and got junk!    So next will be spending far more and buying a radio that actually puts out sound not tinny squeaking sound.  My stupid mistake. Lesson learned...lol  But the new antena works which is a bonus...lol  No more strange sized plug in and also a better signal and mounting bracket. 

1 person likes this

As for a radio, I just spent 10 times what that crap radio cost me on a good radio and 4 good speakers.........the thing that shocked me was.....and it didn't accure to me that modern cars vehicles come with such a sound system or basically a computer for a radio, that these after market radios are almost extinct!  I had to go to 3 places before I could find a proper radio and speakers like the old days.  So, I will be seeing if I can install two new 4" speakers under the dash and then a pair of 5 1/4 in the rear tail gate. I do not really need the rears but for the price why not?  I don't listen to the radio that loud any more so these should do just fine. I didn't want to get the typical 6X9's and make boxes or build out the area anywhere they could fit, that's why I stayed smallish.  The car is basically a shoe box, how loud do I need it to be......yeh I know.....for some classics, earth shattering...lol.

1 person likes this

Well after a trip to the local wreckers and buying two new to me sound boxes for cheap and happened to find a good usable non busted front fender for another member I now have enough to finish the radio job.  Well lets just say I'm now in the last stages of it as a few guys came over and took me away from the task at hand.....AUGH!!!!!    I also learned that these boxes take a 5 1/4" speaker not the mouse sized one in the cheaper cars. So I now can save some funds and return the smaller ones and still have reasonable sound using just two speakers.....excellent! I also didn't use the stock speaker wires, ran some good old heavy duty speaker wire.  Not sure what I'll use the other 46 feet of it....lol.   But I now have extra....lol
I also cleaned the inner edge of the windshield and cage, then applied the good stuff to maybe slow down the drip....drip I get driving in a good hard rain storm!  May as well when the dash was out......see my brain isn't completely fried!   lol.  A few hours tomorrow and it'll all be buttoned back up like new....or better than new.

The other exciting thing I did this morning was.....now some will think me mental for this but...I've been looking at this all summer!  And it bothered me!   I happened to look up in one of my trees a while back only to notice a basket ball if not bigger sized hornet's hive hanging in the tree...!   Normally it has a very busy opening in it as they fly in and out like crazy....this morning i noticed it had slowed down a bit.....just a bit...but enough I thought for this OLD FART to throw a shovel up at it and hopefully hit it and knock it out of the tree....Hmmmm....?  Well, lets say it still had wasps in it and they just required a reason to get organized!  I managed to slice a good sized slice from bottom to top. That opened it up well, they no longer needed to wait to get out and find out who did the damage! They swarmed the shovel on the ground  and as they did I slowly backtracked away!  Only a few noticed me slinking away and came after me to see if it was me who they should punish!  I must have horseshoes planted somewhere as they went back to the shovel.....tonight they are settled down and mostly gone but a few are hanging around....it's too cool for them so I expect they have a den somewhere underground near by!  Yep....an exciting day...lol