Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,955 posts in this topic

Well, today I am buying two completely different exhausts to modify to see how they sound and perform and if they can be made to fit in the space we have.  All cheap as chips off Kijiji  so no real money being wasted.  One is a brand new import Magna Flow can and the other is a complete system from a 1000rr Honda......You never know, I may just shelve them both but until I get them in my hands and see, I'll never know? It'll also stop the thought pattern of making a system and go back to repairing them until there is nothing left to repair.  I had thought about removing just the baffles from the old exhaust and simply re-wrapping it with thicker material again just to see.   Then i started to search already made exhaust to fit the space, needing simple modifications to fit our engine.  Tomorrow I'll see what I have and how it compares if the rain will stop long enough to stay dry.....OR, will I use summer car as the fitment jig.....damn sounds logical.....augh!  The slippery slope begins.....

Just finished replacing the left side transmission out put seal and replacing the muffler.  I had forgotten what a bitch getting the shafts out was....unless you remove far more bolts than I initially tried....lol.   The muffler is split almost in half due to not being clamped down solidly to the centre brace on the transmission. I had beaten the clamp out and couldn't rebend the tab back to hold it solid. Yes it had a mickey mouse half assed attempt at it and even used mechanic's wire to try and keep things tight, but it vibrated loose.  This muffler was the first one I re-welded and thought it best to remove band clamp. WRONG....better to do what I have been doing ever since this one when re-welding them. All of the welds are still intact so that is one great sign after 2 years of use. So no worries about re-welding exhaust cans imho.

I also picked up those two exhausts off Kijiji last night.  Both are like new so no corrosion on either so reworking them shouldn't be difficult, fingers crossed.  I really like the Honda 1000rr system the most. It's header pipes are the same size of our main in-put pipe from the exhaust manifold into the muffler, so I intend to used all those bends to create a well fitting system hopefully.  The exit pipes from the Honda muffler are split, so maybe I can have a twin pipe exhaust sticking out from the back...lol.

The other muffler is a standard square semi glass pack style can with a twist or elbow internally to help slow the sound down...?  I have watched how they are made and why, so understand what it is......possibly way too loud...lol.  This can will also take plenty of pipe work so to speak over the Honda  I think.?  So I'm more interested in the Honda to work with it first. 

It should be interesting.....it also may be a total waste of time, but time is free....and it keeps the mind active.

OH, and the transmission oil level was down a fair way, it's back to where it should be now.  I hope I caught it soon enough.  I hate to think if it's a bearing in the transmission that was making that whirring sound.  Hmmmm...?

The turbo on my winter beater, 'Bruised", got changed yesterday.  .212,xxx kms on it.  .Running MUCH better now.  . Many thanks to Uncle Glenn.

On a side note, I had my muffler repaired through Glenn in 2014.  .While changing the turbo, I noticed that it was still working perfectly with no leaks.

Finally it has an exhaust so time is getting close to a start up.......it's made from a Honda 1000rr stock exhaust system.  Time will tell if it's good enough to work as good as the stock system. At least it's completely rust free. Here's some pics to show it from all angles and also how it's not the lowest part of the vehicle.  I did install the rear bumper and body work to make sure it all fits correctly.

20200912_114109.jpg

20200912_113132.jpg

20200912_113157.jpg

20200912_113111.jpg

20200912_114147.jpg

20200912_114206.jpg

1 person likes this

Tomorrow's job is to start my own shop manual to deal with all things electrical........hooked up STAR and while reteaching transmission I encountered Fatal Fault......so starts the next chapter.....will it be an easy fix or an all out war....lol