Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,034 posts in this topic

Started the car, drive it a bit, washed it.  To be returned to stock suspension (BRABUS shocks are blown up) and have clutch issue repaired.

IMG_8048.jpeg

2 people like this

Yesterday Glenn took time off  from his busy week to help me with my 09 Brabus. We replaced all the front suspension control arms, shocks and springs, bushings etc.  It was getting to the point of having the bearings replaced after 180,000 km before they fail and also had some bad front end noise that needed attention. I had all ready replaced the back ones 20,000km earlier.  My bearings failed around this time on my old 09 so wasn't going to take any chances. So thanks again Glenn for the help!! 

2 people like this

Front end coil spring change. Drivers side was broken so I swapped 451 coils onto my 450cdi. Also have the front half of a Daystar lift installed and front end full led conversion.

I did find an unused socket in the head lights... Seems to be there inner most. Socket is in place, no bulb. And not wired to anything, but not cut off...?

2 hours ago, JayBraham said:

I did find an unused socket in the head lights... Seems to be there inner most. Socket is in place, no bulb. And not wired to anything, but not cut off...?

Probably the turn signal socket.  I believe the turn signal lamp it too close to the headlight for the North American standard and that is why the turn signals were moved to the grill.  You will notice a lot of late model North American vehicles shut off the headlight when signaling.

Nigel

Sorry about this made a slight mistake on my milage, meant to say 280,000km on my last post.

280K is good! I'm only at 159K with my 2006 but it's not being driven right now, in the salt.

12 hours ago, JayBraham said:

Nigel's answer to this is most likely correct, however, the bulb is not usually removed.  In most 450's, the bulb is still there and  a simple rewiring will give you the turn signals back into the headlight cluster where they belong.  The original location is significantly brighter and more noticeable than the "Canadian" location in the grille.    

In a brief salt-free weather break, after some heavy rains, we took the smart on her first run in 6 weeks today. Just topped 159K km, washed her off and buttoned her up again in the garage. More snow expected Wednesday.....

smart 2022.01.03.jpeg

1 person likes this