Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,044 posts in this topic

Front end coil spring change. Drivers side was broken so I swapped 451 coils onto my 450cdi. Also have the front half of a Daystar lift installed and front end full led conversion.

I did find an unused socket in the head lights... Seems to be there inner most. Socket is in place, no bulb. And not wired to anything, but not cut off...?

2 hours ago, JayBraham said:

I did find an unused socket in the head lights... Seems to be there inner most. Socket is in place, no bulb. And not wired to anything, but not cut off...?

Probably the turn signal socket.  I believe the turn signal lamp it too close to the headlight for the North American standard and that is why the turn signals were moved to the grill.  You will notice a lot of late model North American vehicles shut off the headlight when signaling.

Nigel

Sorry about this made a slight mistake on my milage, meant to say 280,000km on my last post.

280K is good! I'm only at 159K with my 2006 but it's not being driven right now, in the salt.

12 hours ago, JayBraham said:

Nigel's answer to this is most likely correct, however, the bulb is not usually removed.  In most 450's, the bulb is still there and  a simple rewiring will give you the turn signals back into the headlight cluster where they belong.  The original location is significantly brighter and more noticeable than the "Canadian" location in the grille.    

In a brief salt-free weather break, after some heavy rains, we took the smart on her first run in 6 weeks today. Just topped 159K km, washed her off and buttoned her up again in the garage. More snow expected Wednesday.....

smart 2022.01.03.jpeg

1 person likes this

Used the smart Saturday to take me to the ferry terminal as a walk-on. When we were picking up a breakfast at McDonald's (I know!) a guy in a 453 asked if I would sell the car. No chance I said, motioning to my youngest daughter who was driving. I said she'd be getting it when I kicked the bucket.

The when she came in the smart to pick me up at 10 PM, I was loading a bunch of Peugeot and Renault headlights into the back and the guy next to us in the pick-up area said "nice car!". When I was driving my daughter back to her place, I asked if she ever gets comments on her Hyundai. LOL no.

Twice in a day, not bad.

Looked out the window at it, frozen to the ground waiting for tomorrow to see if it starts....lol.    I gave up two days ago after recharging the battery after flattening it at  minus 29 C....lol.   She needs a long drive, coming tuesday......hopefully.

Hmm, here's me wishing for summer because it is 2 C outside and I am cold. The thought of living in temperatures colder than my chest freezer is ludicrous.

MOVE SOUTH

:)

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

Hmm, here's me wishing for summer because it is 2 C outside and I am cold. The thought of living in temperatures colder than my chest freezer is ludicrous.

MOVE SOUTH

:)

I come from England.....I have family in Staffordshire.......a dairy farm....god's country almost.   

Yes we get snow but not for too long.......maybe 4 or 5 months of the year....lol.    You must overlook that price to pay for the expanse of the country and what the rest of the year is like....all cities are the same world wide, it's the countryside that makes or breaks a country imho.   The area around my uncle's farm is where I thought I would move back to and retire, but, it too now has been semi over run with city type folks, who steal anything they can get their hands on, so I will live my days out here.....in the freezer......augh!  A crying shame....!   Now where's my hot coffee.....augh!!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Brand new here first post

First off I spent 3 months looking for a front wiper motor for my 2006 passion not available most places, pulled it out what a beast to remove, 450CDN plus tax and freight and a long wait from the closest dealer,  I keep telling friends to check with me first, my project crab puller had a 98 vw golf gti wiper motor on my DIY crab puller looked like it would bolt in. Installed it and be damned the wiring plugged in and it all works with no smoke or problems intermittened works as well.  Hell of a day my back gets nerve pills to stop the throbbing, whiskey to celibrate having wipers in one of the many rainiest places in all of Canada.  I no longer have a sence of humor

Yes I also have a 42 year old beemer in the shed no it's not for sale

Edited by JoeBMWr65
add on

Wiper motor by itself was $450? I just replaced the rear wiper on my Mercedes B 200 and it cost $205 plus tax from Mercedes-Benz Nanaimo.

1 hour ago, JoeBMWr65 said:

Brand new here first post

First off I spent 3 months looking for a front wiper motor for my 2006 passion not available most places, pulled it out what a beast to remove, 450CDN plus tax and freight and a long wait from the closest dealer,  I keep telling friends to check with me first, my project crab puller had a 98 vw golf gti wiper motor on my DIY crab puller looked like it would bolt in. Installed it and be damned the wiring plugged in and it all works with no smoke or problems intermittened works as well.  Hell of a day my back gets nerve pills to stop the throbbing, whiskey to celibrate having wipers in one of the many rainiest places in all of Canada.  I no longer have a sence of humor

Yes I also have a 42 year old beemer in the shed no it's not for sale

I just sold my R65 two weeks ago.

This takes it's place hopefully in a few weeks:

cellar1.jpg

It is a 1982 R80 RT T N TIC

Edited by Mjolinor

I put the Canada one back on the road for the summer.  Fuel gauge is mis reading so need to buy some diesel cleaner and run it through a few tanks.  I used to run Howes but what is the latest best cleaner that everyone is using now.

Alan

I've been using Petrolabs since 2006 - excellent stuff. Available at Bumper to Bumper outlets. No fuel gauge malfunctions with that stuff.

1 person likes this

Just simple Diesel Kleen from Crappy Tire.....I bought a 4 litre jug of it when I purchased my Smart a few years ago, still working my way through it....works great imho.

Also last weekend received my new tires for the good car.....just a bit bigger than stock...195/60-15's   all four...yehaw.....!

Edited by Willys

Such a long day. Recharge the A/C, working great now. Mount and balanced both front tires....this 145 sizes were out of stock everywhere, have to fly them into Toronto....extra $30 each....but no choice....see the old one.....then changed the tailgate shocks I got from amazon. Next job will be the front brake and rotors.

thumbnail_IMG_8826.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8825.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8821.jpg

On 6/6/2022 at 4:03 PM, Willys said:

Just simple Diesel Kleen from Crappy Tire.....I bought a 4 litre jug of it when I purchased my Smart a few years ago, still working my way through it....works great imho.

Also last weekend received my new tires for the good car.....just a bit bigger than stock...195/60-15's   all four...yehaw.....!

I'll go get a bottle tomorrow I guess.