Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,982 posts in this topic

This past weekend:Added 20mm spacers to front, stock, winter alloys.Added 15mm spacers to rear, stock, winter alloys.Feels a lot more planted with the spacers in there, and they don't rub anywhere. [...]

Chris,Have you installed the shiny exhaust yet?Bil :sun:

Chris,Have you installed the shiny exhaust yet?Bil :sun:

No, I STILL have not got around to installing it yet, I have been SOOOOO busy (have not had a day without work in a month). I am still running around with essentially no exhaust at all. Although, I kinda like it that way, and I get a LOT of compliments on it.. LOL :) Edited by MightyMouseTech

Well:1. I drove Snowball to a meeting at Shawnigan Lake. On the ride home I scored a 2.9 on the ScanGauge (the way there resulted in a nastier 4.0). This is on the wide rims and tires of course. Then I washed her once I got home.2. Rana the green smart was showing +700 km to the next service (after travelling 9000 km already!) so following Eddy's advice, and what I have been doing for Snowball, I changed the oil a bit early. It was a B Service. The air filter was a mess and was replaced, oil and filter of course (Mobil 1 0W40). I will do the front brake and suspension check next weekend, as I ran out of time to do all the remaining B Service stuff today. Rana had a coolant flush, new lower rad hose (chafed) and new brake fluid last Friday, so that was the other bit of the service (done at TPM). Then she got a wash. Oh yeah, the EGR hose was chafing too so I put a soft spacer in between it and the hose doing the chafing.

Took it on a nice road trip yesterday from Windsor to London. Cabin did not warm up enough to remove jacket (was -11 outside plus wind chill). Up a little to 3.9l/100km for the roundtrip, normally sub 3.5l/100kmToday will be cleaning off the dirt and salt.

Last night I procured a 450 bike rack from member cdbh. Seaforth to Kitchener and back averaging around 3.5 LHK, the milder weather is good for the FE.

"Upgraded" my washer jets (Or should I say jet) to the older wiper arm mounted one today. It looks and works awesome! Since the old one wasn't doing much anyway (It just hits the bottoms of my aftermarket blades), I disconnected it completely and am just using the "new" one. I managed to get the hose installed through the service screen without much difficulty. The hardest part was figuring out how it was wrapped around the linkages in the fading light. I wrecked the first connector trying to get it in, but managed to get the spare in ok with the help of a heat gun and a rubber hose tipped screw driver. Now that I've got it installed, how do I adjust it for the "optimum spray pattern"? Currently it looks like all 3 jets are spraying behind the blade (And hence in front of the passenger blade), but they clean great so it must be normal! :)

Use a push-pin to aim the little ball jets. Don't bother trying to get them to fire over the blade; the regular (cowl-mounted) jets will get the rest of the windscreen just fine.

I drove Snowball to work again: plus 8 degrees. 3.6 on the way in and 3.6 on the way out. She's a fine little car.

Use a push-pin to aim the little ball jets. Don't bother trying to get them to fire over the blade; the regular (cowl-mounted) jets will get the rest of the windscreen just fine.

Sounds easy enough. What's considered the optimum pattern? Did they originally fire over the blades? I'd like to avoid using the old one if I can...

Dove to work today in Snowball, a tad of salt on the road but not too bad (the car is on summer tires). 3.4 L/100 km on the ride into work.

This am i was greeted with a -30 temp. staring me in the face. Was plugged in. No problems at all getting to work. Took awhile to get the heat up though. I did notice the windscreen was loose when i closed the door. The darn thing is jumping about 1/2 inch at the bottom and i fear it will pop out on me. I guess cabin venting is going to be a issue i will have to deal with to prevent it from blowing out my windscreen. So far the cabin vent is the only thing i have as a complaint with the car. Good thing warranty is still good... Fix windscreen and the flaky E-box.Has anyone else had their windscreen come unglued? Please let me know.

Midway point in winter .... so ....today I rotated the winter tires.

Hey, I can do that too now! 185s all around....

I did notice the windscreen was loose when i closed the door. The darn thing is jumping about 1/2 inch at the bottom and i fear it will pop out on me. Has anyone else had their windscreen come unglued? Please let me know.

Get that done ASAP, the SAM unit will get wet and die in short order.

Went to MB and got them to do a fix on my car, to fix the "Dash Board lights staying on all the time. It was fixed under warranty so it cost $0 SWEET! :D the problem was the water separator connection was carotid. The put a new one in and all is fine now! Even the car key fob works better.

:lol:

62,777 km -- Hopefully nothign but oil changes this year after that little scare! (Knock on wood!)

Yesterday, I woke up to minus 28C temps and even though 'Bruised' wasn't plugged in, he started right up .. first try! Interior temps were comfortable at about 18C (65-ish F) long before I got to work. Not too shabby for an '05 with 132,000+ kms on it.

I took mine out for a drive in this minus 32 degree weather. Boy the car's suspension clunks and bangs over these these terrible icy streets!Makes me wonder if the car even has springs.When they grade away the snow,they peal off chunks of ice leaving much of it behind.This leaves sharp edged potholes all over the place! This is when i miss my SUV.It's no wonder many smart car owners only drive them in the summer.

Went to MB and got them to do a fix on my car, to fix the "Dash Board lights staying on all the time. It was fixed under warranty so it cost $0 SWEET! :D the problem was the water separator connection was carotid. The put a new one in and all is fine now! Even the car key fob works better.

:lol:

62,777 km -- Hopefully nothign but oil changes this year after that little scare! (Knock on wood!)

Same here... Bought mine last week. Brought it back to get the water separator changed... Even though they showed me the old filter element, the light is still on... I'm not too worried as I know it was done. I'm more concerned about the 3.5l of oil they put in... I just read here that the engine only needs 2.7l? Is that with filter or without?

Cheers,

Andreas

Same here... Bought mine last week. Brought it back to get the water separator changed... Even though they showed me the old filter element, the light is still on... I'm not too worried as I know it was done. I'm more concerned about the 3.5l of oil they put in... I just read here that the engine only needs 2.7l? Is that with filter or without?

Cheers,

Andreas

3.5L is seriously over-filled!

Fu.... First Toyota (where I bought it from) put the wrong oil AND the wrong amount in... then just last Friday another company that is working for Toyota in Victoria, did the water separator and oil change. And they fu...ed it up again... I'm speechless! I just went outside and pulled the dipstick. Clearly over max! It even says on the oil cap, that the level should never be over max! Are those car mechanics dumb or what? I mean, common, it basic stuff!!!

Oh, I'm mad now! I will get them to sign a waiver tomorrow to give me prove that it wasn't my fault if the engine craps out...

Oh, I'm mad now! I will get them to sign a waiver tomorrow to give me prove that it wasn't my fault if the engine craps out...

As well as the waiver, have them suction out the excess oil! Checked at full operating temperature, the level should be a little under the MAX line.

And yes, they are dumb. :yes:

As well as the waiver, have them suction out the excess oil! Checked at full operating temperature, the level should be a little under the MAX line.

And yes, they are dumb. :yes:

Sorry for going of topic here...

Update: After posting my last reply, I called my sales rep and told him what I found. He wasn't pleased at all! Asked me to come down to the shop right away... I did. Left the car there. They are paying for my taxi rides (!) tomorrow. Have to get to and from work somehow.. 30km one way.

Cheers and thanks for the quick answers!

Andreas

Can someone tell me what fails? Does it blow some seals? An extra litre probably puts the bottom position of the crankshaft in the oil which is not good especially when the oil is cold.

Raymond

Can someone tell me what fails? Does it blow some seals? An extra litre probably puts the bottom position of the crankshaft in the oil which is not good especially when the oil is cold.Raymond

I overfilled my motorcycle once... BIG mess! The excess oil was pushed out through the airfilter and crankshaft vent. Haven't noticed anything on my Smart... But I have also only driven 350km.... I get the feeling that in the near future I will have to bring it to the Smart dealership for a good check! And if they find anything related to that mishap I will forward the bill to the dealer I purchased my car from. I hope that after all, everything will be fine and that I only had the run around and nothing else!

Crankcase pressure goes off the scale, oil gets aereated by the crank and the oil pump starts sucking in bubbles for the pressure feed, excess oil blows up into the intercooler and EGR, it is a bad scene. If it was only like that for a short time, it should be OK.

I took off my Bumper and TrailerHitch.I'll leave them off for a few days until I complete the GT Intake installation.Then I took a stab at de-greasing some of the grimy bits

Do you have detailed pics of your trailer hitch? I'm wondering how and where the hitch is mounted/constructed ...thanks!