Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,982 posts in this topic

see post 65 here http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=22295&st=60I lost most of my pictures in a drive-crash a month ago.It is a SmartCarUniverse hitch. http://www.smartcaruniverse.com/store/It fits neatly under-behind the existing aluminium bumper, and the tongue slips out under-between the bumper and the muffler. It uses the same mount holes as the alum bumper as well. It is solid steel, and weighs about 20 pounds without the ball. It comes with all wiring hardware as well.

Thanks for the info! I send an email to SmartCarUniverse will see what they say... Not much information on their site...

It's kind of a small thing, but I washed Marty today, got all the salt off of him and he looks great :DBrit and Marty Car :D

It's kind of a small thing, but I washed Marty today, got all the salt off of him and he looks great :DBrit and Marty Car :D

Nothings too small!I filled up and put new wipers on!!!

Nothings too small?I lifted the cover and removed the garage door remote from the dashboard. If this snow keeps up, I'm going to have to start it up and move it back so the snowblower is closer to the door!The interior lights were bright so I guess the battery maintainer is working.

Was it Mayor Mel who called in the Canadian Forces when Toronto got "slammed" with a couple of cm of snow? :PWe got 25 more on Saturday night after getting 30 cm plus drifts during the Groundhog Storm. No biggie. ;)

Yes, it was that famous(?) Nobody, Mel Lastman.To put it in context, though, what happened was that Toronto used to completely ignore a snowstorm, assuming that it would just melt away in a couple of days. This works when it works.Unfortunately, we had three successive snow storms and because basic clearing hadn't taken place for the first two storms, the third just stopped everything. Major streets (two or three lanes in one direction) became two lines in the snow. Side streets weren't cleared at all. The reaction of the city officials was the quintessential example of the term SNAFU. They got caught with no plan "B" and it was too late to be rational and accept any responsibility for screwing up.These idiots reacted much the same way when we were hit by the SARS epidemic. Lastman was on the international media, proclaiming "World Health Organization? Who are these guys?"

Yeah, I remember it well; I was just funning with you. :)

My sister in Hamilton said it was three successive dumps of snow over the course of a few days that totaled more than double what the GTA normally gets in a whole winter, something like four feet all told. But in the rest of Canada, we love making fun of that whole episode, because it unfolded exactly as you described. Anywhere else, the plows would just plow. LOL

Baby Elsie had her EGR valve cleaned today. The check engine light had come on and the reading was EGR so she went today and had it cleaned. It wasn't too bad but now I don't have to worry. The mechanic was laughing about the size of the turbo.Ish.

Edited by ishkabibble

washed, polished and quick waxed the black/silver one. Filled the tank and met a prospective buyer. Looks great. :)

It must be nice to have an area that is warm enough to wash and wax your car :huh:With temperatures in the minus 20's C .. (about minus 4 F) and wind blowing just short of blizzard force, my poor, frazzled smart sits in the driveway, filthy and white with salt until the next thaw. :cold:

That's what spinning at 100,000 RPM will do for it.

Came home to a rapidly flashing turn signal and knew instantly one of my bulbs was out on the rear passenger light. So today took off the passenger and drivers side lights to replace all the bulbs :) Thought it was going to be harder, but it was simple only thing was the cold was getting to my hands.post-7297-1297458096_thumb.jpgpost-7297-1297458120_thumb.jpgpost-7297-1297461118_thumb.jpgBrit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

Edited by Britsmart

I finally finished building a 12 to 5vdc converter, here's a photo of it from before I installed it in a project box:

Posted Image

And then I tried out my GoPro cameras in Megumi:

I've previously used the cameras on my motorcycle and though they work quite well they are very battery hungry, hence the converter so they can run off of the vehicle's battery.

Next I need to build better mounts for the cameras using some suction cups and my 3D printer. I may end up converting the whole system over to a car PC with web cams instead, and use the GoPros on my bike once riding season starts.

Monthly check of tires showed low pressure rear right, during the check found a finishing nail on the inside edge of threads. Dang.Since the weather was warm and raining, figured it was time to swap out the winters (Windsor is in the banana belt of Ontario). All the snow has melted, flood warnings, should be OK?!?So away I go, trolley jack and start the changeover. Mark the nail location with a yellow crayon just in case, will bring to a tire place to see if it can be plugged. Now fast forward 5 hours ---- can you say snow? Yes sir from no snow to just over an inch and climbing. Guess murphy rules. Have to get the tire fixed figured it would be best to have all the same type on, not just one non winter. Will play it safe for the next day or two. Calling for +6 degrees on Tuesday.Ran all last winter without snowies, will do again for the mild snow we are getting.

Edited by aderoy

I filled Snowball and we had a short drive.....

Finally replaced the battery in the Silver car with an Optima Redtop 34R. Easy install and everything is still working properly after the battery swap. Going for a long test drive tomorrow. :D

Put on my Intermediate Coreline wheels with 175/195 all-weather Vredestein Quadrac-3 tires. Used a 15 mm spacer on the front and a 10 mm spacer on the rear. And I encountered several inches of snow with them in Montreal, and they handled it suprisingly well!Although, when I changed them over, noticed my left front wheel bearing is loose. Time for yet another replacement, this will be number 4! That's the price for wide tires and additional wheel spacers. :D FedEx also delivered my Michalak wide rear fenders. Will get them painted and installed when the summer tires go on!!!! Can't wait!!!

Another 6" for Montreal tonight. Don't know if the Capital Region will get that much. I want to put on my "intermediates" -- the mostly-worn Conti Winters on skinny steels -- but the weather is frankly as snowy and cold as it has been all winter. The point of intermediates should be to avoid unnecessary wear on the meaty winters. But most roads here are still hard-packed and the temperatures have only briefly gone above 7°C a couple of times.Oh, that and my Contis (winter and summer) are stored under the back deck, which is entirely inaccessible due to snow. This time last year I had already raked my front lawn and cleaned my perennial beds. I have a seven foot mountain of snow covering the front lawn, and a three foot blanket across the rest of the yard.

Another 6" for Montreal tonight. Don't know if the Capital Region will get that much. I want to put on my "intermediates" -- the mostly-worn Conti Winters on skinny steels -- but the weather is frankly as snowy and cold as it has been all winter. The point of intermediates should be to avoid unnecessary wear on the meaty winters. But most roads here are still hard-packed and the temperatures have only briefly gone above 7°C a couple of times.Oh, that and my Contis (winter and summer) are stored under the back deck, which is entirely inaccessible due to snow. This time last year I had already raked my front lawn and cleaned my perennial beds. I have a seven foot mountain of snow covering the front lawn, and a three foot blanket across the rest of the yard.

We are lucky here, they are calling for rain this week, not snow, so I took the chance. Although, I keep all my rims and spacers here at work, so I can swap back and forth between rims on a daily basis if needed. Can quickly throw the car on the hoist and swap rims before heading home in about 10 minutes.

I whipped up some brackets to hold my scangauge to the head liner of the car on my Makerbot Thing-O-Matic. They seem to clamp on really well, so I'll be riveting them in tomorrow.

post-4936-1300070915_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1300070929_thumb.jpg