Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,920 posts in this topic

Mounted the brackets today: No interference with the sun shade thing!Yes, the makerbot is expensive, depending on how you look at it. It was probably about $1600 CAD, for the machine and 20 lbs of plastic. It's very cool though, and you can make lots of convenient little brackets for things (Or giant lego men!)

post-4936-1300144771_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1300144792_thumb.jpg

After running errands I came home to walk the dog then go run more errands. When I returned to the car I noticed a pool of liquid under the car. It smelled like gas. I saw the rear belly pan was soaked so I put the car on jack stands, dropped the belly pan and looked for a leak. Looks like it might be around where the filler neck joins the fuel tank. I really need a lift to properly diagnose where the leak is. I've buttoned up the belly pans, pushed the car out of the garage, cleaned up the fuel puddle and will take it to my mechanic tomorrow.

Damn, I have read of G&K cars having fuel tank/filler cracks. I hope it's nothing too bad.

I finished installing my Scangauge a couple of days ago.I know it's plug and play but after looking around on the forums I saw a post by Speedie (it think) putting a digital compass on the mirror post.I decided that's where I wanted to install my scangauge, I had no problems fishing the cable up the L/H pillar but it wouldn't quite reach the mirror post.I saw a post on the american smart car site about using a RJ 45 coupler and a 7 foot cable but I didn't want all the extra cable stuffed under the dash.So I decided to cut and splice a 1 foot long cable onto the original.Really fiddly work, 8 different coloured wires on each cable to meter and solder together (sorry forgot to take photo).Then I made an aluminum bracket to go under the mirror post and mount the scangauge.I also shortened the mirror bracket about an inch because I am tall and found the mirror to cause a big blind spot.CANMANpost-9481-1300237429_thumb.jpg

B Service done, then ordered the fluid extractor from Princess Auto and placed on hold until I can visit the local store this week.

FINALLY changed my dash speakers over to a Polk 5 1/4 and 1" dome tweeter separate set, and added the Brabus underseat sub.

Used the Polk db5251 set I got from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB5251/Pol...l?offerId=60643

WOW!!!! What a difference!!! The factory "upgraded" speakers are terrible in comparison. The new tweeters look much better on the dash to boot. A pretty big job to change everything, I think it took me about 5 hours. Had to open up the opening in the bass bins a little to get the 5 1/4's to fit. If you plan on doing this job, get the best speakers you can get, and do it only once, and make very sure all the wiring is perfect before putting the dash back in. Would hate to put everything back together only to find you got the polarity on a speaker wrong or a loose connection.

post-3521-1300278607_thumb.jpg

I will probably upgrade the speaker in the sub box soon for something with a little more punch. Forgot to measure the sub before putting the box in, anybody know off hand what size the speaker is? Looked like a 6 1/2"??!?!?!?!?

Edit:

Looks like it is a 6.5". The dual speaker connections may make it a bit tricky to wire??!?!?!?!/

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=161

May try:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CVT654/Ki...k4%5d6-1%2f2%22

Hopefully the amp can handle the extra current from the lower impedance.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Question about a sound upgrade:My Smart came with the sound package (no sub.) and compare to my former ride, the sounds is alright. But I have a new still in the package Alpine radio (CD,MP3) kicking around... Would it be worth to change the radios? Just wondering...

Alright then... Do you know if there is an after market "pig tail" available? Would like to avoid chopping up the original harness...

Yes, Scosche makes one for VW Golf 1998-2003 that is the right one. Available at most Future Shops and Best Buys for around $15.

I got my Summer Tires put on! SO MUCH SMOOOTHER!!!My right winter tire ended up getting a bulg in it after it hit a pot hole 9 days ago... which made the car shake because the buld was on the wall of the tire but near the tread so it wobbled... made for an enjoyable ride ;)LOL!!Anyways got the summers on and it is smooth sailing now!

I hope you're going to change that tire.....

Dropped Moby off at the body shop to have the Michalak wide rear fenders installed, and have the rear of the car painted black with all new panels.Can't wait!!!!!! Going to need some huge spacers to push the 16" Brabus Monoblock VI to be flush with the fenders.

I hope you're going to change that tire.....

Yeah I just got my guy to trow it away... they where second hand... I got them more for the rims then the rubber. got a good deal on them. and One winter.... so I am happy. Next winter I will get new rear wheel winters...But nothing shakes anymore!

Your car will be shivvering when it sees the snow tomorrow!! :D BTW- I changed out one set of snows on the weekend because I couldn't stand the steel rims any more! Some shivering going on here too!

Drove into work early for a 181,105km oil and filter change. Cleaned the inside Wednesday afternoon. This afternoon the outside will get a wash. Then she should be go to go to the April Fools event in Berlin OH.

Today did a super interior clean, painted the discoloured mudflap and put on the summer tires :) He's looking good again :DBrit, Mathieu and Marty Car

Such a nice day outside!-Lubed the clutch actuator-Cleaned the contacts on the plug that goes to the clutch actuator (Goodbye for now three bars!!!))-Exterior only cleaning (Hoping to get the Scratch Blacks on tomorrow morning before it rains)With the clutch actuator stuff, I got to use my new trolley jack too!

Sunny and bright outside so we went topless today :lol: (the car, not me) Took a 3 hour drive to enjoy the sun and fresh air.Ron :bike:

had to repair my turbo return line. had a few pin holes near the flange. have been spraying oil all over the back of the car for the week. so took the line off cleaned off all the rust,torched off the oil slime on it. wire brushed it till nice shiney clean metal again. brazed up the crack an hole. made sure it was well plugged up again.gave it some high temp primer an paint. reinstalled it with a new home made felpro gasket.then decided to take the car for a spin open turbo,naked rear down by lakeview park. no more leaks so on went the muffler an rear body panels.maybe tomorrow if it dont rain ill see if i can find what abs ring is giving me a fit with abs/traction control not working.

I forgot my entry for Thursday, so here's what I did:Washed all the crud off my poor car, which hadn't seen soap in at least a month or more. Installed summer tires, which included a new front sportline (courtesy of MB WI) and two new front EcoContacts. Washed them all. Checked my oil, and swapped in a paper air filter so that I could wash the K&N and let it dry. I had to swap tires on four other cars so I didn't finish my list, the I brought the car to MB WI to make an appointment. MB Service Department Foreman Neighbour (henceforth to be known simply as just "Neighbour" ;)) took it on an official test drive (on the clock), and noticed my IC fan making noise, and heard the slurping sound in sixth coming from the intake. He noted the slack in the roof at the broken cam-lock clip as well as the oil spray all over the block and TC cover. He also said my scoop is missing. Ater four winters, that's not bad. I told him I'd pay an hour of shop time for his best tech to go over my car with a fine-tooth comb, as I'm at 79100 Km and 46 months. The car goes in on the 19th (I'll drop it off this coming Friday so they can work on it while I'm in Australia). I wonder if in their zeal they'll replace the entire roof instead of just the strap and buckle only...

Hasty grille block made with stuff I had lying around. A piece of vinyl-wrapped cardboard behind the mesh. Front face is wrapped better than the rear shown. Six torx screws and done!

Posted Image Posted Image

Yes, the car is super dirty. blah, blah, blah ... :P