Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,982 posts in this topic

This doesn't quite fit the thread, but I had planned to do it today... If the weather isn't too sucky tomorrow when I get back from the dealership I'll be popping off the rear belly pan, filling the fuel filter with Tunap 134 diesel injector cleaner and running it for about 10 minutes, then changing the fuel filter.

This doesn't quite fit the thread, but I had planned to do it today... If the weather isn't too sucky tomorrow when I get back from the dealership I'll be popping off the rear belly pan, filling the fuel filter with Tunap 134 diesel injector cleaner and running it for about 10 minutes, then changing the fuel filter.

Why not just pour it into a near-empty tank? :huh:

I did that last time and it had a small effect. But pouring 300 mL into even just the 2 L of reserve fuel left in the lines dilutes its effectiveness. Putting it in the fuel filter canister is almost as good as using a dedicated fuel injector cleaning system (which I cannot afford).Oh, and I'm due for a filter change now at 80,000.

I put eyelashes (yes, really) on my tach and clock pods...not exactly performance enhancing :P, but they were crying out to be anthropomorphized!

So where did you get the eyelashes and where is the picture? :mellow: Ish.

Installed the H&R Cup Kit last night. Lowered the car about 1.25". The rear tires are now rubbing like crazy on the fiberglass rear fenders, not sure if I am going to install smaller spacers on the rear (currently have 50 mm) or grind off the lip of the fender. It is real tight back there, can not get a finger between the tire and the fender. I have gotten LOTS of comments about how good it looks already, and it has only been done for 14 hours. :)Nice thing about the Cup Kit is the front struts have adjustable perches on them, so you can set the rake of the car (adjustable about 2").Anybody want a free set of OEM springs and rear shocks? Pick up only.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Well I'm not really doing anything to my smart today, however Marty Car and I are driving back to Toronto from Montreal, so he'll get a great run again :)Brit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

I had completely blocked the front grille of my wee smartie, but today I installed a compromise solution using some slotted sheet metal left over from my rear valance mod.

The complete occlusion was great for cool-weather puttering in town, but once on the highway, and especially on grades, the temperature rose a bit uncomfortably high. I'm hoping this (50%?) perforation will let the engine get up to good running temperature in all but the highest-demand circumstances. Time will tell...

Posted Image

(Thinking I might do the same for the lower grille opening too)

B :senile:

P.S. the Brabus grille can be removed without tools, so it's easy-peasy to remove if an unexpected too-hot situation arises.

Bubble bath and installing the bikerack. BTW, Last week was the first time I had two MTB on the rack... was a bit on edge as there is quiet a bit of flex in the whole system.... but turned out to be fine! Just had to remind myself to crank the radio up and don't look in the rear view mirror :D

Went for a 300km drive, Grand Bend to deliver a guitar to it's new owner, London to test drive the Fiat 500 and pick up the VINs on two smart 450 cabrios.

My wife and I managed to drive 65km to work and back yesterday and today in the middle of that late prairie blizzard. I put the winter tires back on friday night which helped a lot. The smart handled itself really well given how bad the weather was. We just left early and kept the pace slow and steady. We've started referring to the smart as our "little jeep" as we are constantly surprised what the little bug is able to drive through :)

Installed one of the Smart underseat drawers today...sure is nice.The only thing to caution other people to was that I had to shim up my seat a bit to clear the winter mats as even with them out the drawer would drag on the factory carpet, a bit of a "drag".... :rolleyes:

Went pre-shopping for a spin-on oil filter. Looks like I'll go with Mobil One M-101. Does that sound correct??

The one that fits best is the M1-104. I'm partial to the K&N HP1004, and I've used the Bosch 3312 and Purolator Pure ONE 14459. These are all interchangeable with my Honda Accord so I've tried all of them on both cars. When the Pure ONE goes on sale it's the cheapest of the bunch, at about $5 each. The oil fanatic forums swear it's the best filter on the market, while the Bosch, K&N and Mobil 1 are all over-hyped and over-marketed.

Left the car at home in favour of a quick bike ride of 78 km. Monday it will rain :(

Today was a busy day for our little smart. My wife and I put the summer tires back on now that the storm has past. While we had the wheels off we checked the front brakes and promptly ordered new rotors and pads from fast eddie. It seems the pads and rotors have never been changed the looked terrible and rusty with extremely little surface left on the inside pad. We decided to take the time to figure out how to take the front off the car and see what we could access an check. While it was off I decided to pull out the cabin air filter just to give it a quick vacuum only to find out there was no filter installed!! Guess I'll be giving M-B a call as the should have checked that we had one when we bought the car in November!We also changed the gearbox oil and lubed the clutch actuator... Wow! what a difference it makes. The gearbox oil that we drained looked terrible. It was thin like water and a very sickly off-grey color. We will be changing it with every oil change from now on.The car runs soooooo much better now, and does not bunny hop when gearing down automatically.

A VW cabin filter can be made to fit for a fraction of the cost of a M-B one. Only certain models came eqipped with the filter, the Pures did not for sure.You also will not need to change the transmission fluid every 8,000km. I change mine every 40,000km and that is overkill.

Most fortwos did not come with cabin filters, before you complain to the dealership.

Thanks for the heads up about the cabin air filter. funny that when I called MB a couple weeks ago they had the cabin filter on the list to be changed (as per km's I'm told) so not finding one made me wonder. As far as the transmission fluid. We're planing on doing a "slow flush" changing it every 4000km for 12000km. Then we'll be changing it every 50,000 from then on. :)

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. I've done that on previous automatic-equipped cars. The bulletin for the Honda dealerships has a much more complex way of doing a complete flush, but for our cars your method will be fine.

FWIW today I went looking for Mobil 1 transmission fluid but came up empty.

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. I've done that on previous automatic-equipped cars. The bulletin for the Honda dealerships has a much more complex way of doing a complete flush, but for our cars your method will be fine.FWIW today I went looking for Mobil 1 transmission fluid but came up empty.

My Canadian Tire has it @ $9.95 per litre.

Yeah, mine has the shelf-talker for it but the last few times I've gone in (admittedly about once every three or four weeks these days), the space is empty.

Got an "A" service done on 'Bruised' at 140,310 kms.Professionally done (by smart142) and very reasonably priced.I'm happy, Bruised is happy and my pocket-book is happy :lol:Heading up to St. Marys in an hour or so for the monthly meeting, this time, at the Creamery