Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,921 posts in this topic

Oh fiddle sticks! I had to drive home from where I was working - about 25km. And to change the oil, I will have to drive 25km back into town for supplies and my indie shop.What can go wrong??

Yesterday today lol same thing right ? I put my smart car in my name (legal ownership) yesterday morningToday I way directions to "uncle Glenns" maybe I can get her winter ready lol

Winter wheels/tires are on the 451, 4 x 450 front steel wheels and WS-60 145/65R15 ice radials. Sprayed the reluctor rings and drive shafts with Rust Cure Formula 3000. Threw in some Stanley winter mats similar to Gord.Bernard's setup for the 450.Just have to clean the alloys and put them away until spring.

Yesterday's adventure... fixing the exhaust feeder-tube leak after doing the EGR delete.

Oh man! What a freaking nightmare! When I opened the engine cover, I was greeted with an engine entirely covered with black soot, like a blanket of snow on the junk out on the lawn. All definition of piping and wiring was lost to this disgusting coating of ultra-fine, dry, black soot. I couldn't even tell where the blocking plate was, for Pete's sake!

Luckily, I had packed a couple of cans of compressed air in my big, green tool bin. Shop (compressed) air would have probably been the read deal, but these little cans let me blow enough soot off the bits I wanted to work on, that I could then wipe stuff down and see what I was in for.

In the immediate area of the leaking plate, there was evidence everywhere of not just soot and oily uck, but also heat damage! Cable coatings were starting to curl, and where the exhaust feed touched the intercooler pipe, the hose was nearly melted through! Problems piled on problems.

So I removed the i/c fan first to make some room to work, and so that I could get a light in there to see what else was going on. The area of the engine block nearest the leak was also covered in slimy, greasy exhaust condensate. The block plate and bolts was too. Yech!!

I removed the intercooler pipe that we installed, and took the whole affair to the bench for some cleanup and to see what I could do about the weak spot. Which turned out on closer inspection to actually be a teeny hole right through the wall of the pipe. Not just excessive heat of the exhaust, but friction from the fitting rubbing against the hose. Grr... What to do now!?

Well, I got out the two gear clamps from the OEM pipe fittings, snipped a length of the aluminium sheet that was left over, and bodged together a wraparound shield that tightly covered the pinhole and would prevent, short-term, any rubbing making more trouble. The pipe now seemed to solved, so on to the plate itself.

Slimy, greasy and super-slippery. That's what it was. It took many take-a-deep-breath breaks to keep my cool as I struggled with the nuts and bolts in that confined space. Always keeping in my mind that if I dropped a nut or bolt, it may disappear someplace unreachable and I would be hooped! But I got them out. Both pairs of bolts, nuts and washers. Sheesh! All this was done from up top too. Glad I have flexy fingers

I cleaned up the fasteners and took the new stainless steel plate and the OEM steel gasket out of my pocket, and went ahead and put them on - the thin gasket first, then the plate you made. Getting those teeny nuts onto the two M10 bolts was another exercise in patience. I had gone through several pairs of latex gloves by this time, and my bare hands were slimy and slippery too. There's no way I could feel the fine threading with a glove on. Finally, after two or three breaks for a quick sit down and a sip of tea, it was done; the plate was tightly in place and looked just like it was supposed to look.

The i/c hose was next, and that went on fairly easily - the aluminium sleeve lined up perfectly with the exhaust tube's blocking plate and bolt heads. [I thought after I got home that I should have trimmed a few mm off the lower hose to snug it tighter to the intercooler manifold - that would probably have let it fit without rubbing the blocking plate]

So... tighten everything up and inspect the install before putting the i/c fan back in. Uh-oh - the outside turn of the new hose was interfering with the air filter, dammit! There was some chafing on the hose elbow that I had dismissed before when I had it on the bench, as it seemed minor, but that's where it was coming from. At this point, I was frazzled and hurting bad, so I just folded up a cotton shop rag and stuffed it down between the pipe and the filter's metal collar. Not too hot down there - shouldn't burst into flames, right? Yep.

Finally, the fan. I decided since it has been cool days lately that I would leave it off, clean it up properly in the big sink at home, and put it in later. Meantime without it there, I would have a good view of everything else that was going on. Put it in the big, green box.

After cleaning up and before driving off, better check the oil. Odd things going on in the engine compartment, so good idea. The oil level was down, about 1,200 km after the recent oil change, to the bottom 1/4 of the hash marks. What's in the big box? About 1/2 litre of oil. Pour it in. Needs more. Aha! found a bottle of Mobil 1 behind the passenger seat, maybe 1/4 of a litre. Upend it into the hole and it all poured out quick as... a very quick thing. OH NO!!! That 250ml from the silver Mobil 1 oil bottle was synthetic ATF! WTF? WHY would they sell them both in the same bottle? So dummies like me: tired and cranky and ready for a hot shower would mix them up, not noticing the freaking label... Ah frack it! Button 'er up and head for home, 25 km away.

Well "Yee-haw!", as they say in cow town. After puffing out a couple of blasts of ugly smoke, the wee smartie goes like snot. I think they say that in cow town too. Nice to have the turbo pulling again, and by the time I was out of the East Kelowna orchards, no more smoke. Hit the highway. Gear changes very quick now. Pulls the hills just fine. It felt like there was lots of throttle left, even at 100 kph (though I mostly drove easy at 80). But I can't really evaluate properly since I've been pooting along with no turbo for a few weeks. I'll leave that for later. Just happy to be on the road again!

Once home, I started worrying about the whole ATF in the crankcase thing, and jumped onto CsC to ask around. Also searched the Internet for comments and info about ATF in oil in diesel engines. Consensus seems to be that I will probably have to do another oil & filter in another 400 km or so. You have any experience with that? ATF in crankcase?

It's going to take me about two more days to get all the sticky soot out of my hands and hair. Yeah - sigh - I'll probably get silicosis or something too; my nose looks black as a coal mine. Oh... and there is fine dry soot in the car too! As careful as I tried to be, that fine, fine stuff gets everywhere!

So... nightmare, right? It'll be weeks (or maybe even springtime at this rate!) before I can properly clean out the car. And the engine. Oh, the engine. I used to at least try to keep it looking presentable. It will probably take 2-3 hours of brushing, degreasing and rinsing to get that poor, abused piece of machinery looking... I was going to say "human", LOL! ... spicly and spanly again.

In the meantime, I'm back on the highways and byways of Kelowna once more. I'll take it easy though, until I get some more opinions about the ATF thing.

Bil :senile:

I took Red Rocket to Joe@ Supersmart to have the alternator belt changed and replaced the water/fuel separator. Joe also did the A service and changed my summer tires to winter tires.

I drove Snowball to work expecting (based on reading the Weather Channel report) in plus 5 degree weather on clear roads. Well it was +5 at our house but -2 on the way to Duncan and the car god a bit salty. So I sprayed it off in Duncan and now I have to drive home after an Xmas party, probably in some more brine. I hate that shit.

New 1157 bulb for the 451 DS rear light - the turn signal was burnt out at just under 50,000 kmsOh - and last week, we re-torqued the Daystar lift kit, rotated all the tires and I did an oil change too, with the Royal Purple. Went to change out the front pads, but alas, Steve my mechanic was misled, and they were all good at 50% on both sides... so the pads I made a trip for go back into inventory.I am preparing to order the Area 451 programmer and some other 451 bits from smartieparts, including a double din adaptor that has a storage bin in the the bottom slot, so I can fit my DVD nav system into the car. Also sold off my used Icebears - the fronts will do the owners well, and the rears will be better than worn out summers... I hope to have my 451 wider allows sold this weekend, and then maybe get the Genius wheels off of smartieparts and get some summer tread ordered.Next week - Forge TIK for the 451 will get installed. That will give me a fair way to compare it now that I have done 6,000 kms on the lifted/large tire configuration.I am really enjoying the 451 up here in PG. Heading back tonight or tomorrow.Looking to upgrade speakers at some point.

I thoroughly washed Snowball upon the return home this evening, she's perfectly white again and de-salted.....

The kids said the green car was wa-wa-waing a bit more than usual when starting after a long cold day at UVIC. So I checked the battery V and it was low, around 12.2. So the only one I had handy was a massive Die Hard from the old 405, which had been on a trickle charger since 2008. I put it in (it barely fit, took up ALL available space) and I didn't even have to modify the cabling at all. However, there were two battery vents on this one so I had to devise a double vent arrangement, which was easy, using some surgical tubing and a T-junction.After putting it all back together, the ABS/ESP/Brake lights stayed on.....hmmm weird, so I dropped the SAM out (tip: remove the two T-10 screws to get it right down), checked the two ESP fuses and they were OK. Double Hmmm. So I disconnected the battery again, waited 5 minutes and put the cable back on. Perfect!I hope this battery is still good, it is huge and should be perfect for the smart cdi.The old battery (from Rick in N Van) was low on water so I topped all 6 cells up and now it's on the charger. I think I am going to need two new batteries for smarts in 2012, unless the old 2002 Die Hard has a second wind.

I had brake light and traingle come on outside of Hixon a longish descent.... pulled over and kinda rocked the car back and forth, giving the brakes a good shot. Cleared light and working, so that was nice... Imagine doing that highway without ABS (and I suppose without ESP too,,,) I think not.7Have to do a major cleaning tomorrow. I have a bit of a rubber smell - probably needs help underneath. Massive salt and sand attack........

The large tires definitely throw the ESP out of whack. I'd estimate 98% of the time it runs fine, but there is that 2% when I'm rounding a sweeper or an interchange that it feels skittish in a way that I can tell the system is applying the brakes at one corner or another without any actual loss of grip or traction. The lights do not come on when I feel it -- remember that they only come on when they can't keep up with the problem.

I've yet to notice anything unusual with my 9.3% larger tires.... except they hold the road incredibly well.

Canada Post delivered my Olsen plug two days ago so today I got into it and put the plug in (may I suggest that anyone that does this should have some hose clamps handy). Replaced the thermostat as well as it did not pass the "suck blow test". While I had the engine lowered I cleaned up the starter connector which had just started to give me problems. Then I thought, why not check the EGR and modify the intercooler shroud. Well when I pulled out the intercooler, I found I was too late....small holes already. Called the dealer and they are both in stock in Toronto and will be here tomorrow. More joy tomorrow...it is the Christmas season. The dealer had the intercooler in stock for another customer and was willing to give it to me if I needed it right away. He said that other customer also ordered the fan as well. I went out and checked...my fan rotates tightly and doesn't move at all under power. More joy ordered for tomorrow as well. Clean the EGR tonight and pick up parts tomorrow and assembly is the reverse of all this.

Edited by gordo.bernard

Sorry to hear about all these problems you found when installing my plug Gordon. I've added a few photos below to assist members:

Posted Image

Photo shows lower part of inter cooler where support cradle cuts through.

Posted Image

Above shows old design of inter cooler support cradle. Lower part of cradle makes contact with inter cooler. Solution: Cut off 4 - 5 mm of lower horizontal part of cradle so there is no longer contact with delicate parts of inter cooler.

I have updated my Restrictor Plug sales post to indicate three items of important maintenance you can carry out at same time once you have partly lowered engine and subframe to get access for installation of restrictor plug.

Perhaps your fan can be saved. Motor appears to be a sealed unit but there must be a way to get inside.

Somebody give this guy a case of beer for Christmas.... these pictures and info are some of the very best... top quality.

Took advantage of the nice warm and clear day yesterday to swap in the snow tires. Now ready for the next few months, hopefully we get enough snow to make it worth the 45 minutes the shade tree mechanic in me to complete th job :-)

Found out the previous owner didn't use the good bug juice....wife went to clean the windsheild from salt dust, nothing came out...but the tank was full. So we waited a few hours for the temp to warm up and it worked!So when we got home I siphioned what I could out (it was gel at -2 degrees) I topped up with some -45 RainX stuff, and am hoping it will prevent it from freezing. The wife has been instructed to clean the windsheild as much as possible today to empty the tank so I can fill it with 100% -45 Stuff.I will admit I had terrible visions of a cracked washer fluid tank....reminisant of a friend's SunFire (under the fender about 3 hours work)

I killed to boids with one stone...or at least the same oil filter. Picked up my Mobil1-108 oil filter and just happened to find it also fits my 2006 Subie Forester. Yesterday was busy and today no leaks. So I done good.

Drove the 2005 to work for the first time in a while, it is beautiful (and salty as the sea) on the roads out here.

Bessy: Just changing the WW washer anti-freeze is good, but don't forget to use what is still in the lines (the old stuff is still there) while it is still mild enough to be liquid. You probably have already done this, but I thought I would mention this anyway .............. just in case. :)Ron :bike:

I changed the oil + filter in the 2005 at 216,750 km, plus checked all the fluids.

I cleaned up the 451 a bit more tonight, and it's old wheels/tires for the new owner....Got the exhaust reasonably clean... it'll still rust, but............

I cleaned up the 451 a bit more tonight, and it's old wheels/tires for the new owner....Got the exhaust reasonably clean... it'll still rust, but............