Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

4,982 posts in this topic

Illegal in Alberta on the front side windows (if that avatar shot is the new look). If it can't be removed on the spot on the side of the road they'll tow and impound. Either way there'll be a nice juicy ticket. Just sayin'.

I know it is. It's actually a lot lighter than it looks in the photo. Took it with iphone. I've seen far worse in Calgary,last night I saw someone with what looked like close to limo on the freaking windshield! I'll take the chance I guess. :)

Personally, I like the dark tint. Since our cars don't have a sun visor that covers the side window, the sun coming in from the driver's side can be annoying and even blinding. (anyone who wears glasses will know what I mean). Tinting the front window is a definite no-no, but the side and rear windows of my blue smart are tinted as dark as I can get them. The reason is three-fold. One, of course it the sun thing I mentioned above and the other two are that whatever is in my car is mine, and it keeps prying eyes out of the car. (what they can't see, they can't develop an interest in). The third reason is the dark tint helps keep the interior cool(er) than it would be without the tint.If I am pulled over for whatever reason, by the time the osifer reaches my car, the driver's window is already rolled down, giving him/her a clear view of what's in the car.

A bad cat will have a rattle, not a clunk. It's likely a bad front centre mount.

That was my original thought. I was just getting hopeful I guess. Put it up on the ramps yesterday after work. Yep, the front mount has collapsed. Back to the dealership I go. Hopefully the warranty covers this one. <_<

changed my oil and filter, greased the universal joints in the steering column/rack, inspected all four ABS rings, checked front brake pads, readjusted windshield sprayers, cleaned and oiled my K&N air filter, cleaned my blow-off valve and had another look around to try to find a suitable catch can mounting area.

Edited by briand

Front rings don't need inspection because they're cast as part of the hub, but it sounds like a good once-over you gave it.

Put in my smartmods twist key knob. Fits perfectly and looks good.

Posted Image

And got my 4-season Ventus UHP Hankook wheels all cleaned and brake dust removed etc, plus tire protectant both sides, all ready to swap over this week.

Also in hand, RP transmission fluid and "special sauce" ready to change tranny oil to my preferred fluid. should be AOK for a few years after this change!

Micro-oil and Wurth HHS2000 also ready to do some spot lubrication when the car is on the hoist as well. And intercooler scoop mod ready to go. Should be rarin' for summer after all this :drive:

Oh yes, and I'm putting the final touches on a hitch-mount spare tire carrier. More about that after prototyping.

Bil :sun:

got a in car pic of this in place? god knows iv bumped my key enough times while driving to shut it off.

Quick pix. Apologies for the poor quality. But you get the idea.

post-95-1338768002_thumb.jpg

post-95-1338767987_thumb.jpg

B :sun:

I finally got around to installing a license plate light on my scratch black panels. I couldn't stand the weak little pansy lights that are such a pain to get in and out, so I didn't bother taking them out of the stream green panels this spring.I bought a 2 strip LED lighting kit for a computer case, cut off one strip and put spade connectors on the ends of the cables,then stuck it in place, curling the ends up into the holes where the old lights used to be. The spade connectors plug into the wiring harness where the old lights connected. I then stuck the other LED strip onto the stream green panels. The picture below doesn't really accurately show the license plate lighting - In reality it lights the plate perfectly, and doesn't blind anyone in behind.

post-4936-1338780061_thumb.jpg

Computer case lights... great idea! I had been thinking those LED strip lights they actually sell for cars, but case light strips are probably cheaper, eh?Bil :sun:

Yep, dirt cheap. About $10 with shipping for two 15 cm strips. This guy on ebay seems to have the best product and prices around. He even does custom orders.

Also available from Walmart ... 2 in a package (when on sale, about $15 +tax)

Drove the white car to work today - Jenn T drove it to Victoria Sunday for some research she's doing on human brains using MRI, so it's getting lots of work right now.The green smart with its new A/C is back in our hands this AM, Sean T picked it up at TPM Victoria before lunch.

Took the smart in to TPM Victoria on Monday because it would not start even after installing a new battery , picked it up this afternoon . They foundseveral stored fault codes for undervoltage. Tested generator as per DTC P1615 (supply voltage low).Recorded intermittent no/low output from generator. $513 for new alternator$220.50 for labor$646.57 total with 10% Mercedes-Benz discount program$214 for B service$120 antfreeze replacement with pressure test$94.84 brake fluid flush$43.05 to renew r/f marker light$13.61 to renew r/f parking light$13.82 to renew l/s license plate light$12.98 misc. chargestotal $1298.94

Second alternator I know of locally that has failed, For2's failed about a month ago at 170K km.

Why does an alternator fail? I've had many cars since I was 15 years old and in all that time and all those years, only one alternator failure.B :drive:

Diode failure, brushes wearing out, voltage regulator failure.

Why does an alternator fail? I've had many cars since I was 15 years old and in all that time and all those years, only one alternator failure.B :drive:

Smart alternators fail mainly because they are very much exposed to the elements, being under the car. Water and salt ingress cause internal corrosion and seizure. The water may even find its way into the brush guides, cause brushes to stick and corrode parts of regulator assembly. Cars with front engines have alternators positioned higher up so better protected from elements, hence less prone to alternator failure.

I had an alternator in my 1984 Renault 5 fail because the brushes wore clean through the slip ring! That was only after about 50K km. Valeo rubbish. Got a Ducellier to replace it, which lasted for the rest of the car's life. The mounting location in the R1229 was high, out of the weather.smart alternators seem to be a lot better.

I guess there's no kind of underbody road shield we could add to reduce weather corrosion? I will have to take a look...:senile:

They need some airflow to keep cool, so I think that being overly protective might have a perverse effect. FWIW ours is OK at nearly 235K km, and we use it hard (heated seats nearly always on, for example). The car lives in salt all winter.

I had an alternator in my 1984 Renault 5 fail because the brushes wore clean through the commutator!

That happened to commutator of electric low pressure fuel pump on my Renault Kangoo Trekka.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bosch fuel pump. Just like on the Smart, the pump is submerged in diesel and pump internals are fully wetted by fuel. Brushes were still serviceable with 60% of their length remaining. Main cause of failure is brushes are too high in abrasives gradually wearing their way through the copper of commutator.