Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mango

Which Lights Can I Replace With Leds?

10 posts in this topic

I've been Googling but haven't been able to find the answer to this. Hopefully the fine people here will be able to help :)I had a city light go out today and I was thinking of replacing as much as I could with LEDs, mostly so that they wouldn't need to be replaced as often, but also because I like the look of LEDs. So what can be replaced with LED? I don't recall ever seeing an LED headlight on any car. Tail lights, reverse lights, and signal lights all the time, so I assume there is some reason it can't be done for headlights.Do I need to look for anything special when buying LEDs, or do I just match up the ECE code and call it done? Any tips on places to buy? I'm in Vancouver but can order online too.The city lights are W5W, right? Or am I mistaken?ThanksMango

Edited by Mango

It has been a well discussed topic - here is a link for ya'

LED DRL

Reason there are not LED headlights in most production cars is cost and some technical issues - LED's are more expensive than a simple bulb and take quite of design to get the right light pattern for headlights. Also high power LED's are just new on the market and have some issues with heat build up so you have to provide a big heat sink to keep them healthy.

There are a few cars (BWM or Audi??) that are now sporting LED headlights and more under development - but hardly an off the shelf item at Canadian Tire at this point

Cheers,

Cameron

LED headlamps are here, They are in some expensive high end cars but they are indeed here.

Hopefully in a couple a years us lowly middle class will be able to afford them.

http://www.greatcarstv.com/new-products/ca...asty-glare.html

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/...in-the-year.htm

http://gas2.org/2009/01/05/audis-all-led-h...-electric-cars/

Thanks! Looks like SMT Tower II is what is in my price range. I'll order up a set tomorrow. I found that but didn't think city lights were what I was after. Doh. Now I know.

Further reading tells me it's not a good idea to put LED in the tail or turn signal lights, but the reverse light can be LED. Also, the round clearance lights on the side can be LED.

I found too many bad reviews of Autolumination.com so my search returns. If anyone knows where else I can buy SMT Tower II lights, or has another brand recommendation, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks!

There are a few cars (BWM or Audi??) that are now sporting LED headlights and more under development - but hardly an off the shelf item at Canadian Tire at this pointCameron

All of the lights on my sisters new Audi R8 are LED, including the headlights. I believe this is the first car to do so. Edited by MightyMouseTech

I found too many bad reviews of Autolumination.com so my search returns. If anyone knows where else I can buy SMT Tower II lights, or has another brand recommendation, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks!

I tried the SMT Tower II bulbs in my city lights and was not too impressed. I am using Polarg J60's and am quite happy with them.

Further reading tells me it's not a good idea to put LED in the tail or turn signal lights, but the reverse light can be LED. Also, the round clearance lights on the side can be LED.

I have also found that replacing the license plate lights with LED bulbs is not a good idea. Since LEDs use a lot less power than the 12v supplied, the bulb assembly has to have resistors between the leads from the car and the actual LEDs. Unfortunately, the way these resistors are twisted weakens leads where they connect to the resistor. Add the constant vibration from driving and you can see what would happen. I'm on my second set of LED lights for my license plate lights. I do have an LED bulb in the reverse light, the rear fog light and the interior dome and they are doing just fine. I bought mine as a combo kit from Your LED Shop LED light kit for Smart. The site says it is for the 451 but the bulbs are the same for the 451 and the 450. Since the rear fog light and reverse light are the same style bulb connection, you can use the two "reverse lights" in the kit.