Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Snowball thread

217 posts in this topic

Tonight we just passed 70,000 km. We are averaging 16K km per year, since we got it out here. That is about what I thought I would be doing, when we bought it. I just love driving it!

Tonight we just passed 70,000 km. We are averaging 16K km per year, since we got it out here. That is about what I thought I would be doing, when we bought it. I just love driving it!

I am sure more km to come this year! Especially if we have good weather! Congrats!

Cool!Just as an FYI - I opted to let a friend about 20 years younger purchase the canada1 coupe from Roy, and it was bought a week ago... so it is still nearby! David has an interested in diesels and quirky cars, so it only seemed logical! His VW diesel (also red) had just been smucked up (no fault) by two SUVs. He knows smarts are very safe cars.I still have the cabrio, which should get plates within about a week again for the summer season. Just 23,xxx on mine. It's still posted for sale, but no low offers are even being considered.....

Well, a non-low offer came in, and the canada1 is on hold pending final sale to a keen owner on Vancouver Island who will tend to some minor cosmetic issues (rock chips)... I will be for the first time in 9.5 years, smartless..... Having owned five to date, 2 brand new, 2 with under 1000 kms on the odo when I got them, it'll be strange not having even one. But I'll have a canada1 coupe I can borrow at any time, and probably, I will buy a smart again within the year when one comes up. Having never had a power sunroof version, that will be on the list. I'd actually like a black and silver car again.

Five years ago tonight, Sandy T and I were in Québec staying in the Chateau Frontenac, with a flight to Toronto early on the 6th of February, with the destination being smart Centre Midtown, where we arrived by taxi around 12:30 PM. There we picked up our Snowball the white Canada 1. Later that day and week we met all kinds of great people in southern Ontario, at an evening dinner in a pub, on the CN Tower for dinner and a few days later at a Club smart Car dinner in London.

Five years on, Snowball has accumulated another 81,700 km from the 335 it came with. When we arrived home on February 13, 2010, she had 5360 km on the clock. So Snowball has been averaging 15,400 km per year if you exclude the long drive home.

For 2015, she will get a new set of tires, probably in the summer, and maybe a dealer tune-up (i.e. coolant flush, brake fluid flush and fuel filter change). I will have to change the brake pads as well, because once I get to around 90K, they're likely to be pretty worn.

I am still delighted with this car and Julia T enjoys driving Snowball a lot more than the Old Man Red (the Fiesta). But I have to try to reserve Snowball for the good weather and special occasions.

Thanks to Frederic at Mercedes-Benz Canada, I finally have the official paint code for Snowball. It is Ice White C69L, which was a first generation forfour colour as well.

Just topped 90,000 km today!

1 person likes this

So with the canada1 coupe now in my possession at 91,000 ish kms.... I'll have to try and not exceed Mike's mileage!

1 person likes this

Just enjoy it, these cars are fun to drive as you well know. There is nothing worse than a garage queen, or an "investment car". Just don't drive it in the salt and snow (if we get any snow this year). This year it will have been another 15,000 km.

I am on the mainland right now but I got a call yesterday saying the pothole damaged car is ready for pickup. That is good news, so I will get it Monday. I hope the rear wheel was replaced, it was oval. I will have zero tolerance for imbalance.

Got it back today, the balance is perfect. Both wheels were repaired. I thought the rear one would be toast for sure. Toe was checked and adjusted twice, it seems good. Total cost was $650, about half paid by insurance.

Six years ago today we picked Snowball up at Midtown Toronto. It's been a lot of fun despite some of the hiccups described above.

Seven years since we got the white smart BRABUS Canada 1 called Snowball!

29920427724_877cda95fe_b.jpg

The photo is not from today!

2 people like this

Best wishes for continued good luck with your car Mike.

Keep the shiny, white and impeccably clean side up :)

I have to disagree with you when you say "There is nothing worst than a garage queen, or an "investment car",".

My Canada1 is just that.  It's #1 of the 4 made, and has great provenance and documentation.

Everthing is stock except re-map (restorable), filters and battery (have useable original).

It stays covered in my garage and should prove a great investment, if and when I ever decide to sell it.

I exercised it last Saturday with a 60km city/highway spin and it ran perfectly.

I'm about to turn 24,000km with absolutely no issues.

It's professionally appraised value is almost three time what I paid for it four years ago.

I do have my '05 Smart for daily use, and I agree with you these cars need to and should be driven and enjoyed.

IMG_0833.JPG

p.s..... no intention to hijack theme of this thread.

Edited by smartnhappy

Incidentally, the photo of Snowball shown above was taken at the Salton Sea, California, October 2016.