MikeT

BRABUS Canada1 smart 450 cdi Registry

53 posts in this topic

Hot on the heels of the identification of two more Canada 1 BRABUS cdi cars and their subsequent purchase by me and smartzuuk, it is time to start a registry for these, the rarest of all smart models in Canada. Until January 2010 we only had one of these in the VIN registry, the original concept car at the CIAS and Vancouver Auto Show (PIAS).

The original publicity material from smart Canada suggested that no more than ten of these cars would be made for Canada. Various estimates of the number in existence range from 3 to 6, but we are certain there are 4 (although we don't know the 4th car's serial number (yet).

If you ever see an all white or all red smart fortwo cdi (tridion too) please, if you can,record the last six numbers of its VIN for this registry, and pass it onto me or smartzuuk. Thank you.

253912 - red cabriolet - silver wheels - CIAS and PIAS Show Car

285108 - white cabriolet - black wheels - BC

287593 - red cabriolet - black wheels - BC

295910 - red coupé - black wheels - BC

For the latest information on where these cars are, please see subsequent postings.

Edited by smartzuum
Edited title to show as 'canada1', not 'canada 1'

Here are the photos of the "known" 450 BRABUS Canada 1 cars:

post-5-1264217576_thumb.jpg

post-5-1264217626_thumb.jpg

post-5-1264217644_thumb.jpg

post-5-1264217668_thumb.jpg

The subtle differences:The show car was called "Canada 1 Concept" but the others are "BRABUS Canada 1".  The show car has red seat backrests and mirror triangle and surrounds; the other cars apparently all have silver (pulse) seatbacks.  The two cabrios with black wheels have colour-coded mirror triangles only.  The red coupé has black mirror surrounds and mirror triangles.  Three of the cars have black Monoblock VI wheels and the show car had clear lacquered Monoblock VI wheels.  There are also some minor differences in equipment between the cars.  The black wheels should be a lot more resistant to weather than the clear lacquered BRABUS wheels, which are notoriously susceptible to corrosion.

1 person likes this

As I've been told, we believe the Concept was sold from the Steeles store after the auto shows and is residing somewhere in North York.

I've had it confirmed by Mark Dimech - smart Brand Manager for Canada - that only four of these cars were ever made for Canada.Eddy also informed me of the very sad news that the owner of the red BRABUS Canada 1 coupé seen above passed away last week. We offer our condolences to his friends and family.

Eddy also informed me of the very sad news that the owner of the red BRABUS Canada 1 coupé seen above passed away last week. We offer our condolences to his friends and family.

This was not meant to go public. Oh well... I don't think he or his family would mind as he is a prestige member of the smart community. For one of the few who buy a limited edition Canada One outright as an original owner deserve to leave his mark in the history book.Smart Canada has made him a personal name plate on the dash. And it should stay there to remember him for the duration of the car's life.I believe this is the only Canada One coupe ever. We had build dozens (over hundred) custom Brabus smart in Canada. But this one is the grandfather of a authentic Brabus build 450. With the authentication letter from smart Canada. This is the one to collect for real smart enthusiast. The gentleman has asked us to add certain authentic smart and Brabus enhancements that is not available from smart Canada. It is tastefully done with extra FT power.

Yes it is the only 450 cdi Canada 1 coupé. I hope it is cherished by the next owner as it was by the first. And I hope that it will be driven and shown around town sometimes. It would be nice to get the three local Canada 1 cars together for a photo shoot sometime in the future.

#1 - 253912 - red cabriolet - silver wheels - Thornhill ON (former CIAS and PIAS Show Car)#2 - 285108 - white cabriolet - black wheels - Ladysmith BC#3 - 287593 - red cabriolet - black wheels - Abbotsford BC#4 - 295910 - red coupé - black wheels - Vancouver BCGot them all, thanks to Terry!

#1 - 253912 - red cabriolet - silver wheels - Thornhill ON (former CIAS and PIAS Show Car)#2 - 285108 - white cabriolet - black wheels - Ladysmith BC#3 - 287593 - red cabriolet - black wheels - Abbotsford BC#4 - 295910 - red coupé - black wheels - Vancouver BCGot them all, thanks to Terry!

Kudos Mike and thanks for all the work that goes into tracking these wonderful little cars. Kinda wondering what will be next in your collection. For us we are not sure. A part of me wants to leave my little black cabrio pulse down south and pick up a brabus CDI of some type for here but the financial reality says that probably won't happen this year. If we do pick up another I'm very heavily leaning towards another all black Cabrio of some kind again. Kinda got used to the black. When I first bought it I didn't really like it but now wouldn't have it any other way...maybe. :)sigh....so many decisions.....

I think I'm done buying cars for a while! The white one is a keeper as is the 404 C; the other cars are the workhorses and will keep going too!The BRABUS nightruns are quite nice too, though they were not done in the BRABUS shop. They're definitely more affordable than the Canada 1 cars.

I think I'm done buying cars for a while! The white one is a keeper as is the 404 C; the other cars are the workhorses and will keep going too!The BRABUS nightruns are quite nice too, though they were not done in the BRABUS shop. They're definitely more affordable than the Canada 1 cars.

Is there a Cabrio Nightrun CDI. Is the car Black on Black. What colour/type are the rims. If not done in the Brabus shop what features make them special. Have any links to good pictures of the Night Run?Agreed, a Brabus is probably not in the piggy bank either this or next year. Really, a member recently put a grandstyle up for sale with options exactly like I would like but not big on having two cars exactly the same. Were the grandstyles done in the Brabus shop. Thanks Edited by John & Angela

Actually the BRABUS nightruns were all coupés....which is a shame, a cabriolet would have been nice.The BRABUS nightruns and grandstyles were all built on the Hambach assembly line with all other smarts.The BRABUS Canada 1 cars were the only diesel smarts made for Canada that were repainted and retrimmed at BRABUS in Bottrop (Germany). Four were made. Three are cabriolets and one is a coupé. I guess none of the cabriolets are for sale right now anyway. The coupé is though.

Here is a little more detail on the four cars:

#1 - 253912 - red cabriolet - silver wheels - Thornhill ON (former CIAS and PIAS Show Car) - Arrived in Halifax NS on January 11, 2006

#2 - 285108 - white cabriolet - black wheels - Ladysmith BC - arrived in Halifax NS on August 29, 2006

#3 - 287593 - red cabriolet - black wheels - Abbotsford BC - arrived in Halifax NS on August 29, 2006

#4 - 295910 - red coupé - black wheels - Vancouver BC - arrived in Halifax NS on April 3, 2007

So the 450 had been out of production for over 4 months when the last of these cars made it over to Canada.

Apparently one other person in Vancouver wanted a Canada 1 car around that time (just a little time later) and was told that the 450 stock that was in Europe for shipment to Canada during 2007 was exhausted, so a fifth 450 BRABUS Canada 1 was never made.

This customer was offered a conversion of a 451 by BRABUS instead and that's what was ordered. See this thread.

Actually the BRABUS nightruns were all coupés....which is a shame, a cabriolet would have been nice.The BRABUS nightruns and grandstyles were all built on the Hambach assembly line with all other smarts.The BRABUS Canada 1 cars were the only diesel smarts made for Canada that were repainted and retrimmed at BRABUS in Bottrop (Germany). Four were made. Three are cabriolets and one is a coupé. I guess none of the cabriolets are for sale right now anyway. The coupé is though.

Thanks for the info. So I am assuming the Brabus parts are sent to the Hambach plant and installed on the line there. (with the exception of the four Brabus 1 cars). So other than 80 grandstyle cabrios the other special edition cdis are all coupes. hmmmmmJust can't see getting a non cabrio smart...other than for parts. Edited by John & Angela

More trivia. Here is what the four Canada 1 cars left smartville as, before BRABUS got their expensive hands on them:

1. 253912 - "racing red" cabriolet CIAS/PIAS car - jack black/black/twister blue pulse

2. 285108 - "show car white" cabriolet - stream green/black/twister green pulse

3. 287593 - "racing red" cabriolet - stream green/black/twister green pulse

4. 295910 - "racing red" coupé - river silver metallic/silver/bungee grey passion

Cars 1 and 4 have electronic power steering

Cars 2 and 3 have ipod holders

Cars 1,2 and 4 have electric/heated mirrors

Cars 1 and 4 have luggage covers

Cars 2, 3 and 4 have vanity mirrors on the driver's side

All cars have upgraded sound, heated seats, softouch, shifter paddles, tach/clock, drawers, A/C

All cars had the following added at BRABUS: special paint, leather (dyed through, good stuff!)/Alcantara upholstery in the seats, doors, dash, leather door pockets, colour coded interior trim, BRABUS body kit comprising grille, spoiler, side sills, perforated metal rear shield, air intake sticker and fuel door sticker, BRABUS stickers on colour-coded mirror triangles and tailgate, BRABUS interior parts including: shift knob (not like the accessory knobs), metal pedals, handbrake lever with leather gaiter, floor mats, BRABUS badge on centre of dash, pinstriping with Canada 1 script. The wheels on all 4 cars are BRABUS 15 inch, 5 inches wide on the front and 6 inches wide on the rear, with Car 1 having regular wheels and Cars 2,3 and 4 having matte black painted BRABUS wheels.

Cars 2 and 4 have had OE cruise control activated by Eddy (I should guess that Car 3 will be included in that soon). Car 2 also has Michalak fog lights.

Hey Mike,I saw your Smart several times today! I was up in Nanaimo visiting friends and was surprised to see your baby out in that nasty weather :-) Nice looking Brabus you have B)

Hey Mike,I saw your Smart several times today! I was up in Nanaimo visiting friends and was surprised to see your baby out in that nasty weather :-) Nice looking Brabus you have B)

Super, was that you in the one with the aluminium rear panel? We saw it in Nanaimo and coming home in Ladysmith!It is just a car and rain won't hurt it.....salt is a different matter.

Fun stuff! The rear panel is a used one I bought of our forum member 1960NSU. It wasn't you driving the Brabus... was it? Looked like a young guy was behind the wheel ;)

I had my canada1 out y'day in the pouring rain. Put 4 months insurance on it. And I have a few pics to share.... went out to see my friend Roy briefly and change his wheels for him. And make sure he put air in the tires. :( He's been running the snows a bit low, so they are wearing a bit uneven...My car is supposed to get decalled today for the local Liberal candidate.... I'm loaning the car for a month.

post-43-1302031210_thumb.jpg

post-43-1302031264_thumb.jpg

post-43-1302031322_thumb.jpg

Very nice, now only if that cabriolet had the correct weheels on it! ;)

I'll upload a photo with the Brabus whjeelz later today... I switched them on last night.

#1 - 253912 - red cabriolet - silver wheels - London ON*

#2 - 285108 - white cabriolet - black wheels - Ladysmith BC

#3 - 287593 - red cabriolet - black wheels - Abbotsford BC

#4 - 295910 - red coupé - black wheels - Port Moody BC

Change of owner on #1.

* former Canadian International Auto Show and Pacific Iinternational Auto Show car