Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrairieBoy

Toyota's Recall

55 posts in this topic

Toyota has a huge safety recall in place right now,in case you havn't heard.This is just to let you know in case you, or someone you know, owns a Toyota product.The 'safety' issue involves the floor mats causing the gas pedal to stick 'Wide Open' under certain conditions.This recall involves 2.3 MILLION VEHICLES and includes the following:2009-2010 RAV42009-2010 COROLLA2009-2010 MATRIX2005-2010 AVALON2007-2010 CAMRY2010 HIGHLANDER2007-2010 TUNDRA2008-2010 SEQUOIAPLEASE CONTACT YOUR TOYOTA DEALER A.S.A.P.

Floor mats, LOL!People just cannot drive.................-Iain

Already behind.... the 2.3 million cars "voluntarily recalled" today are for sticking pedals that have nothing to do with floor mats, unlike the earlier 4.2 million involved in the "voluntary recall" announced earlier. Note that the NHTSA has only issued "safety advisories" not "mandatory recalls."

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/...ory-102572.aspx

Just like Audi's unintended acceleration back in the 1980s: driver error?

The problem is likely 'Stacking The Mats'.The manufacture designed the cars to have only 'so much' clearance under the gas pedal.Some drivers put ANOTHER mat ON TOP of the original.The car was not designed for this.When the gas pedal is pushed down hard,sometimes the pedal sticks down,after getting hung up on the extra layer of mats.Probably the top mat is scrunched up,as it is not held in place by the factory mat 'hold-down/clips'.Some of the cars also have weak 'return springs',or binding throttle cable attached to the gas pedal.(assuming that not all the gas pedals are drive by wire)The driver then panics when the car keeps accelerating,and/or doesn't have time to pull up the gas pedal,or turn off the ignition.

Edited by PrairieBoy

Guess the smart makes the most sense, with the pedal being floor-mounted. This can't happen!Seriously though - this is like... putting a recall on building doors that only open by pushing because people are trying to pull them open. Dumb dumb DUMB!-Iain

Guess the smart makes the most sense, with the pedal being floor-mounted. This can't happen!

Seriously though - this is like... putting a recall on building doors that only open by pushing because people are trying to pull them open. Dumb dumb DUMB!

-Iain

I completely agree with you Duck.

Posted Image

This time, the recall is due to problems with the actual gas pedal mechanism, causing the accelerator to become stuck regardless of whether the vehicle contains a floor mat. Toyota said in certain rare cases, the gas pedal mechanism wears down, causing the accelerator to become harder to press, slower to return or, in some cases, stuck. In a letter to federal safety officials dated Thursday, Toyota said the problem appeared to be related to the potential build-up of condensation on sliding surfaces in the accelerator system that helps drivers push down or release the gas pedal. Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said the automaker does not yet have a solution to the latest problem but is working to develop one.

From today's Edmonton SunThis sounds like it could be more of a problem in places with lots of slush and other corrosive mess. Also, a bit similar to the smart door latch problem?MG

Toyota's recall was on the C.B.C. news an hour ago. It seems it may no longer be 'voluntary'Unless this is ANOTHER recall!)It is in place for Canada and the U.S.(maybe more now).They said it affects over 2 million vehicles.Watch the news tonight. It will probably be on again.

Yeah, this is not the mat problem as you all know all to well by now... this is a massive quality issue. Wow, Hyundai should really pick up the sales now, and Kia.......

I think Toyota should recall all their rusted cars from the 1970s! Bring in some iron oxide scale in a bucket and you get a new car.Just kicking them when they're down, don't mind me. ;)

This is a MASSIVE blow to Toyota's lengendary reliability reputation.Today on CBC news, an 'Ex' CEO (or something) from Toyota, was said to say their reliability had been going downhill over the last ten years,in their desire to be the 'Number One' car Company.Who's number one now?

Just saw on the news. All of the recalled accelerator pedal assemblies were made by a US company CTS right here in Ontario, Canada. Way to go Canada! :lol:

Meh.

People also complained vigorously about Mercedes' declining quality after the Daimler-Chrysler merger. And yet 2009 saw record Benz sales.

Toyota still has a legendary reputation for quality; it's peoples' perception that Toyota's quality has declined because of 14 stuck accelerator pedal reports from 24 MILLION cars sold through the model years covered by the recall. Compared to the countless GMs driving around with paintless hoods, rotting Chryslers or VWs with burned out head- and taillights, Toyotas are Sherman tanks.

While it may be SOME people's PERCEPTION that Toyota's quailty/reliability is declining;tell that to all the people who quit buying G.M.'s Corvair,after Ralf Nader's bad publicity about the car.The Corvair was a great car,really.Certainly not ANY worse than the V.W. Beetle.It held more people,and had much more power too.The bad publicity can,and will, do more damage to a company or product, than even people's PERCEPTION of a quality/reliability problem.As one guy on T.V. said today "Toyota has 'deep pockets',and will probably come out O.K. after all of this"I hope he's right!.

Well said, Sameguy!(It's fun how some industries parallel one another; INTAMIN is the giant right now in the rides industry and they've had about 6 brutal fatal accidents in as many years. Yet they still push out more equipment per year than any other manufacturer (and have the most intense rides). Any one single death by any other manufacturer would have put them under but somehow INTAMIN just keeps pumping stuff out.)-Iain

And somewhere in the southern USA, a Honda dealership is advertising that "Our gas pedals don't stick" Yet another boot in the ribs while Toyota is down.

You are what you drive

'05 smart pulse, '95 Jeep winter-beater, '89 Civic and a gaggle of motorcycles:bike:

Just saw on the news. All of the recalled accelerator pedal assemblies were made by a US company CTS right here in Ontario, Canada. Way to go Canada! :lol:

I'm sure the part was created 100% to the specs Toyota defined. Given how big Toyota is into the entire ISO thing, I'll bet that part has a folder full of specification documents, and wouldn't have been accepted by Toyota unless it met them. However, I'd still by a Honda or Toyota over GM anyday of the week.

I'm sure the part was created 100% to the specs Toyota defined. Given how big Toyota is into the entire ISO thing, I'll bet that part has a folder full of specification documents, and wouldn't have been accepted by Toyota unless it met them. However, I'd still by a Honda or Toyota over GM anyday of the week.

Except, the same pedal assemblies are also built in Japan by Denso Corp, and they are fine. It is only the ones built by CTS that are affected.And on another board that I am on, one of the guys actually works in the electronic accelerator pedal industry, and he says the company that builds and tunes the assemblies actually does most of the design work on them as well. Edited by MightyMouseTech